• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, evilskip said:

The second sentence is incorrect. If you are buying an item and the state you LIVE in has a sales tax, you will be charged XX%. Doesn't matter if the state you are buying from doesn't have sales tax.

@wolverine180

so since texas doesn't collect sales tax yet, i can still buy from any state with no sales tax?

the sales tax equals to the state your in? so i'm not going to pay Philidelphia sales tax, i'm only to pay texas?

i guess that explains why i haven't paid it yet.... wolverine180 looks like you as a buyer period will pay your states sales tax....and the buyer of your items will pay their own state the tax....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

14 minutes ago, evilskip said:

The second sentence is incorrect. If you are buying an item and the state you LIVE in has a sales tax, you will be charged XX%. Doesn't matter if the state you are buying from doesn't have sales tax.

How is that possible when it is called a sales tax. Not a buyer tax.  And i am not trying to argue. Just venting out loud. Thanks for chiming in. 

Edited by wolverine180

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@wolverine180

so since texas doesn't collect sales tax yet, i can still buy from any state with no sales tax?

the sales tax equals to the state your in? so i'm not going to pay Philidelphia sales tax, i'm only to pay texas?

i guess that explains why i haven't paid it yet.... wolverine180 looks like you as a buyer period will pay your states sales tax....

Ewe. Prices are already high enough. 7% sales tax on top is gonna kill a lot of deals .  but thanks for clarification.

Edited by wolverine180

6 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

Ewe. Prices are already high enough. 7% sales tax on top is gonna kill a lot of deals .  but thanks for clarification.

i had to use google and texas is 12th highest at 8.25%.... lol not top ten but.....

i feel you, at least ebay coupons will give me 6.7% off on average..... your still getting close to 8%

i do wonder if this is a reason we're not getting ebay coupons as of late? (shrug) 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

i had to use google and texas is 12th highest at 8.25%.... lol not top ten but.....

i feel you, at least ebay coupons will give me 6.7% off on average..... your still getting close to 8%

i do wonder if this is a reason we're not getting ebay coupons as of late? (shrug) 

or if this will affect the rate ebay coupons are offered and to certain users, especially ebay bucks promotions.....

those states that charge taxes, are you getting ebay bucks for the sales tax too?

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

or if this will affect the rate ebay coupons are offered and to certain users, especially ebay bucks promotions.....

those states that charge taxes, are you getting ebay bucks for the sales tax too?

Ebay will care and promptly send out coupons when they see sales tank. If they dont dip to bad. Then probably coupons every now and then like it use to be.  But the reality is comics is such a small market. In comparison to other things like tech and phone covers etc. We are a blip. 

6 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

Ebay will care and promptly send out coupons when they see sales tank. If they dont dip to bad. Then probably coupons every now and then like it use to be.  But the reality is comics is such a small market. In comparison to other things like tech and phone covers etc. We are a blip. 

it's something to consider that why we haven't seen many coupons this year, and i agree about the blip but also the sales tax isn't comic central. The sales tax applied to all items will make ebay take notice :wishluck: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My own opinion is that the collectible coupon is just too much of a loss for them lots of us here max it out so maybe they looked at it and realize that it wasn’t worth doing for collectibles

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

My own opinion is that the collectible coupon is just too much of a loss for them lots of us here max it out so maybe they looked at it and realize that it wasn’t worth doing for collectibles

This is a good point you bring up. I also like to take full advantage of it. Not sure if i am in majority or minority. Regardless, good point. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:24 AM, manetteska said:
On 6/22/2019 at 1:17 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You are correct in that when it shows as delivered that a USPS claim will be denied at the same time there are seller protections that due to it showing delivered should mitigate his claim.  Notice I said should. There are times where a buyer has successfully had claims in their favor as not received. There have also been times where buyers have filed charge backs through their credit cards successfully.  Unfortunately this is one of those tough situations where there may be no win. One thing you can try to do is contact the post office and see what if any information they have. Sometimes buyers have set their delivery options where the delivery can be left in mailbox, doorstep,  etc. Which leave the ability to be stolen. If this is the case , This is the buyers fault, doesn't really help , but may give more information for disputing their claim.  You may be able to ascertain if the package was left or if they happen to still have it at the local post office.  Outside of that a lot of board members,  especially when shipping higher value items, use signature required as that at least shows who signed for the package.  Another option is Registered Mail.  All of that aside you can dispute their claim and show tracking that shows as delivered.  They may try to charge back, or leave negative feedback.  If so contact Ebay and explain what happend and see what they suggest  as well as request the feedback be removed (if you win case) All of this is the reason a lot of sellers have started moving away from Ebay.  Hope this helps and good luck. 

It was a $46 purchase, already covered for $50 through USPS priority shipping. Didn’t seem necessary on that amount for signature as it’s already covered for damages and loss. If this guy goes through with any type of claim I will dispute. I probably would have tried to work with him if he didn’t immediately open a refund request when I did nothing wrong. Im any case he’s going on my blocked bidder list. 

Blocked another guy last week for being an ahole. I would quit eBay but it’s the only venue to get the right eyes on some of these non-key comics. 

Update:

According to my eBay email, the buyer waited a while and asked Customer Support to step in and review the case. They would have a final decision in 48 hours.

15 minutes later another email showed up saying the Case is Closed with no refund to the Buyer. The Case will not impact my Seller Performance and any Feedback which was left (I don't think there was) would be removed. The "ruling": We received tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address.

Sales tax is irritating, but this is the system we have. Theoretically lower taxes elsewhere because of it. But paying sales tax on shipping is REALLY irritating.

With that said, if you are selling as a business, reporting, etc., shouldn't you be exempted from sales tax because you will be charging it later? Is There a mechanism for registering that status with ebay or getting the taxes paid refunded? 

Edited by the blob

I got this from E-Bay a couple days ago:

Dear Buyer,

eBay is now legally required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states. If you are a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a charitable entity, reseller etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to eBay and make purchases on ebay.com without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
Please upload a valid Exemption Certificate here (select “General Information” in the drop down menu). Include the following information in the Comments section:

Contact Name
Business Name
eBay username

It may take 10-14 days for us to process your tax exemption status on eBay. We will send you an email confirmation when it has been completed.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. You should consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for further details, as policies are different for each state.

For more details and FAQs on when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

Seems to be an epidemic of people having items sent to "wrong addresses" "invalid addresses" or "insufficient addresses" or simply claiming they did not receive their item. 

Print those labels off eBay and PayPal as they will keep sellers safe from such problems. 

When I first got here @mschmidt called me a luddite (yes I remember this from almost 8 years ago lol ) as I liked to do everything by hand.  He explained himself and I embraced it back then.  He was never more right in calling me out for handwriting everything at the time and I adopted printing labels within a couple of months of that conversation and never looked back. 

Thank you Mike (worship)

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/30/2019 at 8:32 PM, Bird said:

No I miss spoke sorry

bins

Not sure if this has been the case for a while, but you can hav auctions renew without being charged for the listing (either as a free listing or with an insertion fee) for up to 8 times. So you're essentially getting two months for a lot to be listed for only one insertion.

I did notice they're changing the 30-day listing to once-a-month, so it'll always be on the same day of the month.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, TwoPiece said:
On 7/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Put in an offer on a SA ASM that was listed for $125.  It was a low offer but not one I would consider lowball. I expected a counter closer to the asking price, but he accepted my offer.  Now I am wondering if I missed something in the pics.  Or maybe I just got luckyish.  The sell price was in the lower range of what these go for. 

Just be cautiously optimistic.

I've sent in the same type of "low, but not insulting" Best Offers and had the same surprise of being immediately accepted. It's rare, but it happens. Hopefully you get what you are expecting!

:facepalm:   Oy.  Book arrived and unfortunately there is a coupon cut out.  Working it out with the seller now.

Just had sales tax charged on an item I sold. I had nothing to do with it. Is the buyer going to be pissed at me that eBay charged them sales tax? I wonder if I need to start mentioning in my listings that sales tax may be charged depending on where the buyer is from?