• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

I've had two people buy books at full ask even though I have best offer as an option. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

I had that over the summer...

I went out and found two notifications within an hour of one another from the same buyer.

It was a book for about $650... guy made an offer for $550... then an hour later outright bought the item.

Okay... done deal

I meant to say two this week...which I found unusual :)

Your scenario has also happened to me..which I also find weird. Why not just wait until the offer is responded to?

I've had two people buy books at full ask even though I have best offer as an option. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

I've done that with hard to find books that I want to lock in, rather than have someone else BIN it while my offer for 15% less is pending.

I've done it as well, but I made an offer and when it wasn't accepted right away, (even though it was a decent offer) I got worried that somehow they had already recieved a better offer than mine, sigh, then bought it out right :)

Ok, that makes sense. Now that I think about it, I've probably done that myself as well :)

On 2/2/2017 at 11:14 PM, Logan510 said:

I meant to say two this week...which I found unusual :)

Your scenario has also happened to me..which I also find weird. Why not just wait until the offer is responded to?

This happens frequently with new books on Wednesdays. Many sellers will list new books at pre-determined prices ignoring actual current market values, which means they significantly underpriced their books upon release. However, they also use the Best Offer option, which opens the door for a buyer to get the book at an even better price. At that point the interested buyers have to gamble on whether to pay full asking price or wait for their offer to get a response. I've made offers on books and then just paid full asking price less than an hour later because of the non-response from the seller. 

my turn to vent...sold a case of 180 The Walking Dead #163 and the 1:200 variant and stated I would ship them separately to insure the 1:200 was kept minty. Shipped package one, the case, on Saturday and ran out of tape while packing it. Packed the 1:200 and mailed it late Monday. Buyer was already asking where it was, but it never got logged in tracking until yesterday for whatever reason. Well, during that delay he told me a few times that I was a scammer and initiated a return. Frustrating but fine, that is the chance you take selling on ebay. Then yesterday the book hits tracking and amazingly shows 3 locations over two states in one day, and it will be delivered today. He had been very mad that he only wanted the 1:200 and would be leaving me bad feedback, he was very rude and it bothered me that he was continually accusatory despite me telling him the truth. So now that the 1:200 is on the radar I accepted the return. I doubt he can send me an unopened case (his impulsivity and Veruca Saltiness would imply he ripped it open as soon as possible) and that may negate the return. but that is not why I did it; I did it to negate his feedback as it can be removed as the item has been accepted for return. I doubt he returns it though.

So I blocked him of course. 

Just another reason to love ebay!  Seller FVF discount will be reduced from 20% to 10% starting in May.  That and now you have to have 95% on-time shipping to still qualify for Top Rated Plus.  It just keeps getting better!

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/index.html

The discussion board, which they are going to close is exactly what you would expect:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Spring-Seller-Update/TRS-discount-going-from-20-to-10-on-May-1st/m-p/26678326#U26678326

Why is eBay making these changes?

eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that and to ensure the best marketplace health and competition.

And so........ what are these new "tools and options" that TRS are now footing the bill for???

hm

EBay: "Okay, so here's the deal - we're going to increase the fees we charge you and we're gonna make you work even harder in shipping your items by raising the standards you have to meet - and in return we're going to give you.... it's gonna be great..... what we're gonna do for you is........

L4mrpm.gif

On 2/2/2017 at 9:27 PM, manetteska said:

Quick vent.

A great day on both sides with eBay users.

1. Buyer wants to return a Marvel Must Haves NYX 1-3 because he didn't know it was a reprint until it arrived in his hands. I guess my listing showing a different title, front cover, back cover, containing 3 issues instead of one, and a $20 price point didn't tip him off previously.

2. Purchased a $60 comic with free shipping. Comic arrived in a manila envelope, sandwiched between two flimsy Priority Mail cardboard pieces -- but the comics not even taped to the cardboard. Just free floating, basically having no effect as it traveled halfway across the country.

3. Purchased a $27 lot of comics with $8 shipping. Came double-boxed Priority but 2 of the 7 comics inside were completely loose -- not even a bag and board -- and suffered for it.

I bought two copies of avengers 100 from a seller.

They were shipped box priority...loose inside, no bag or board, flopping around with a few sheets of newspaper shoved in there if I remember correctly.  One cover was detached, another split.

I don't know if this was intentional because the seller was pizzed because the ending price on the auction was so low (under $10).

I just got some promo offer for stores.

I went to look at the details and the medium store is 1000 items.

Wasn't it recently 1000 listings PLUS and additional 250 or 500 auctions a month?

I know those extra auctions were in there at some point because I've been pondering it in my head...I could probably get 1000 store listings up, but taking advantage of 250 or 500 (I forget the number) auctions a month might be more than I can handle and I didn't want to pay for that extra.

really, nobody knows if they have changed the parameters of the store subscription to eliminate a certain number of additional auctions beyond the 250 or 1000 fixed price store items or auctions?

This is a very telling post from the eBay message board:

10% is not worth the hassle. I will no longer offer returns at all and my handling time is going from 1 day back up to 3 days. I will also go back to just throwing my packages up on the counter and leaving and not caring if they get scanned or not. I will also be concentrating much more heavily on Amazon, since the fees will now be so much closer together, the extra effort that ebay requires to create listings isn't worth it either. Would rather just click a few buttons on Amazon and sell quickly than pay the same ridiculous fees and sell slower and spend 10 minutes or more per listing. Really, Ebay, the ONLY thing you have over Amazon is fees. If you take away that advantage, why would I sell here at all?

This new seller update is just brutal for those who do everything right (Store subscriptions + TRS) and who are some of ebays best members. It's about a 14% increase in fees. A nice kick in the groin on top of that by upping 24 hour tracking to 95%. That plus the 20% or so increase in shipping we have seen in the past 2 years and most sellers selling inexpensive items or operating on a tight margin are going to be destroyed.

I see 9% to 9.15% for stores?

I take it that if you are top rated/perfect, you used to get that reduced down to 7.2% (20%) and now it is down to 8.1% (10%) and they make harder to qualify now because you need to ship everything immediately and hope the USPS scans it in and tracks it properly?

I don't have a store, so I guess I am used to 10%.  And I set my listings at 10 day handling.  I don't plan on taking 10 days, but I usually can't get stuff out in 3. 

If I had a store would they not allow the 10 day handling?

I guess saving 18 cents for every $10 probably wouldn't be enough of an incentive for me to go nuts over this stuff.

I usually just roll when ebay makes changes but these new ones really me off. The combo of reduced FVF discount AND upping the 24 hour shipping to 95% to qualify for Top Rated is ridiculous. If you’re not selling a lot of volume, it only takes a package or two to drag it down.

24 hours is a BS notion anyway. If an auction ends in the evening and it needs to be scanned by 12 midnight the following day, that really means I have to get it scanned before 5:00 pm when the post office closes; I don’t really have until midnight. Getting a package to a box before last pickup isn’t so tough, but there’s been a few occasions where it doesn’t show as scanned in the system until after 12:00 am, which means ebay’s algorithm dings my account. 

Edited by Dick Pontoon

3 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Actually it is going from 7.2% to 8.235% with the .15% taken into account. For casual sellers it is no big deal. For full time eBay sellers doing 300k in sales a year with a margin of 15-20% it is crippling.

Charge 75 cents more for shipping?  Doesn't that pretty much absorb this for most $20-$30 sales?  I know, that might result in fewer sales, etc.

I guess I can poo poo this because I would ship within their timeframe so infrequently getting this discount would not be a real goal.  I think the seller who says "F-this" has a point..it will be so hard to ship and get tracking in a timely enough fashion it isn't even worth trying.

I have books I ship where tracking does not show up for 3-4 days.  I swear postal workers in NYC do not scan packages half the time. 

Edited by the blob

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I usually just roll when ebay makes changes but these new ones really me off. The combo of reduced FVF discount AND upping the 24 hour shipping to 95% to qualify for Top Rated is ridiculous. If you’re not selling a lot of volume, it only takes a package or two to drag it down.

24 hours is a BS notion anyway. If an auction ends in the evening and it needs to be scanned by 12 midnight the following day, that really means I have to get it scanned before 5:00 pm when the post office closes; I don’t really have until midnight. Getting a package to a box before last pickup isn’t so tough, but there’s been a few occasions where it doesn’t show as scanned in the system until after 12:00 am, which means ebay’s algorithm dings my account. 

Doesn't have to be at the post office within 24 hours, you just need to print the label by then.  Scanned by the system is a separate category.

My current business model in relation to eBay fees.

I raised the prices of my items to reflect the raise in fees.  When they sell... they sell. 

If they don't sell... then eventually they will.  

17 minutes ago, kmacnc said:

Doesn't have to be at the post office within 24 hours, you just need to print the label by then.  Scanned by the system is a separate category.

That's not correct, it does have to be scanned by then to qualify for Top Rated status. It must be scanned within your stated handling time and to be Top Rated your stated handling time must be 1 day. As stated in ebay's guidelines to qualify:

Late shipment rate
In order to be a Top Rated Seller you must have less than 3% of transactions with late shipping.
The late shipment rate is the percentage of your transactions that weren’t shipped on time. We’ll track how often your items were either shipped within the stated handling time or delivered after the estimated delivery date.
If the shipment receives a carrier scan within your handling time, it will count as being shipped on time.