• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,168 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

eBay strikes again!

Looks like they raised the max. number of offers a buyer can make from 3 to 10. Anybody know a way around this?

I noticed this last week.

If it becomes bothersome, after they counter-offer 3 times, then counter-back at the original price or even 10% higher.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

eBay strikes again!

Looks like they raised the max. number of offers a buyer can make from 3 to 10. Anybody know a way around this?

Did this kick in last week?  I thought it was just a slow time of year but I guess everyone is spending all their time sending mass offers to everyone that sales have slowed to a crawl.  I'll just set my auto decline to 30% off my BIN to stop all the low ball offers. 

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Did this kick in last week?  I thought it was just a slow time of year but I guess everyone is spending all their time sending mass offers to everyone that sales have slowed to a crawl.  I'll just set my auto decline to 30% off my BIN to stop all the low ball offers. 

Last week is when I noticed it.

Been getting a ton of low ball offers this week so I'm going to start looking at books people have for sale and start low balling the low ballers.  Guy low balled me on a Spidey 300 so I low balled him on his X-Men 266 CGC 9.6.  Let's see where this leads.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Been getting a ton of low ball offers this week so I'm going to start looking at books people have for sale and start low balling the low ballers.  Guy low balled me on a Spidey 300 so I low balled him on his X-Men 266 CGC 9.6.  Let's see where this leads.

Up town funk you up, up town funk you up! McJagger want to retire man---bruno mars

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This kind of thing can escalate quickly to you getting a bunch of german newspapers returned to you for your Spidy 300.

Unless'n of course you use a different account for buying and selling.

Just now, jcjames said:

This kind of thing can escalate quickly to you getting a bunch of german newspapers returned to you for your Spidy 300.

Unless'n of course you use a different account for buying and selling.

You are probably right.  I'll let it drop and just decline his counter offer to avoid any issues.

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy, so am fortunate to not have to see these... but how "outrageous" are these low-ball offers? I've had good experience doing offers - I offer a fair amount (usually 10-15% below their ask), although of course this is fairly dependent on how they originally priced it. Generally, I'm using past sold Ebay listings as a guide (don't currently have a GPA subscription), and my first offer tends to be towards the low-end of that range. I think at most, I've had 2 counter-offers (and that's when I felt their original ask was well above-market). By far the majority of the time, I offer, they counter-offer once, and I accept.

Ebay is great when both parties are well-informed, and reasonable. As a buyer, I generally avoid sellers who are way over-pricing, basically looking for a "sucker" or someone who isn't really doing much research on current fair market value. I don't begrudge those sellers (hey, every now and then there's a buyer who needs something urgently and will hit the bid), but just personally, I don't really bother offering.

30 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy, so am fortunate to not have to see these... but how "outrageous" are these low-ball offers? I've had good experience doing offers - I offer a fair amount (usually 10-15% below their ask), although of course this is fairly dependent on how they originally priced it. Generally, I'm using past sold Ebay listings as a guide (don't currently have a GPA subscription), and my first offer tends to be towards the low-end of that range. I think at most, I've had 2 counter-offers (and that's when I felt their original ask was well above-market). By far the majority of the time, I offer, they counter-offer once, and I accept.

Ebay is great when both parties are well-informed, and reasonable. As a buyer, I generally avoid sellers who are way over-pricing, basically looking for a "sucker" or someone who isn't really doing much research on current fair market value. I don't begrudge those sellers (hey, every now and then there's a buyer who needs something urgently and will hit the bid), but just personally, I don't really bother offering.

I usually take into account for the typical 10-20% discount so I bump up my ask price 10% over the higher end FMV for the book.  If I get an offer asking for 40% off (especially hot books) then I consider it a low ball offer and may or may not respond depending on what I'm doing.  I can definitely understand buyers avoiding sellers who mark stuff up 40% over FMV to try to get a "sucker" to bite but on the flip side I avoid buyers who start off negotiations with a 40% offer.

From a buyers perspective is there a way to see what others have offered on a book.  I can't find it since it seems to show me the counter offer price when I look but people must see what others have offered based on how people respond when a couple offers come in.  The next person always seems to go up just a bit or match the previous offer if it's a hot item. 

On 6/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, 1Cool said:

I usually take into account for the typical 10-20% discount so I bump up my ask price 10% over the higher end FMV for the book.  If I get an offer asking for 40% off (especially hot books) then I consider it a low ball offer and may or may not respond depending on what I'm doing.  I can definitely understand buyers avoiding sellers who mark stuff up 40% over FMV to try to get a "sucker" to bite but on the flip side I avoid buyers who start off negotiations with a 40% offer.

I tend to make my BINs 80-90% of the high end of BIN/Auction sales I see, usually ignoring the most wacky high prices.  Knowing there is a big range of sales prices out there people are comparing it to I don't get too annoyed unless it is under 50% of ask.  I don't accept, but its a starting point for negotiation. when setting a BIN I pretty much ignore if some book had a lousy $4 auction result when I see it consistently selling for $15-$20 otherwise.

Edited by the blob

This whole mandatory 10 offers thing is really ticking me off. I've had to put auto reject on all my stuff due to all the cute lowballers taking full advantage of the 10 offers.  In what world do people haggle back and forth 10 times!?

Edited by rapid08

I sold a Star Wars action figure that was still Sealed. Took 12 pics and described it well. It was paid through GSP and I shipped it to eBay in KY. Just recently the buyer from Singapore reached out through messages about the gun becoming loose and rattling around within the blister. He's looking for a 20% refund. The item sold for $105 and he's looking for a $20 kick back. I asked him to open a claim which he did. I feel the gun came loose after it left my hands. I feel I packaged it very well and snug. We agreed to let eBay step in and decide the outcome. His only option was to ask for a full refund. My options were to offer a partial which I didn't but my message to him was it was likely damaged at the eBay facility. eBay will eventually step in on 6/21 to make a decision. In the past because it was shipped through GSP and arrived damaged, a buyer was gifted the item at no charge and refunded 100% and on my end I was fully compensated. I'm thinking this may happen here. In any event if eBay won't step up, I'll have to kick this guy $20. Sure I could have already but I might get this guy a free figure. Is there a chance eBay allows him to keep the figure and takes my money?

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, rapid08 said:

This whole mandatory 10 offers thing is really ticking me off. I've had to put auto reject on all my stuff due to all the cute lowballers taking full advantage of the 10 offers.  In what world do people haggle back and forth 10 times!?

Auto decline is your friend. :foryou:

Just had a buyer try 4 times to low ball me and auto decline took care of the issue each time. 

Edited by fastballspecial

15 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't know but just as interested to find out.

Here is my issue that just started. I cant print out ebay shipping postage anymore. Did they make an update I need to download. I have to save them as PDF files to print them now which works fine, but it becomes tedious.

Something changed - I noticed it today. Printing a shipping label now opens a .pdf of the label, never used to do that before. (shrug)

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't know but just as interested to find out.

Here is my issue that just started. I cant print out ebay shipping postage anymore. Did they make an update I need to download. I have to save them as PDF files to print them now which works fine, but it becomes tedious.

I had to experience this the first time with a squirming baby on my lap. I was annoyed. Ultimately I had to save the postage and then re-open it to print. The labels are now slightly smaller too. I don't care about the size but I do not like having to save the label in order to print it. :pullhair:

26 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

I had to experience this the first time with a squirming baby on my lap. I was annoyed. Ultimately I had to save the postage and then re-open it to print. The labels are now slightly smaller too. I don't care about the size but I do not like having to save the label in order to print it. :pullhair:

Since I bought a large collection I have been using my wife's account as well as my own.I open them on different browsers. My wife's account does the pdf thing and has printed the labels very tiny in the past. Not on my account. The wife's account does a whole different method of listing -not as many pricing or shipping options and more defaults and does not allow me to link photos from the web, only computer or the app. Very odd and very frustrating.