• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Does anyone have any of those Transformers Masterpiece KO's by any chance?  Thinking if I should give them a try since they look practically the same and I guess are made the same way as the originals.  It's basically half the cost of the real ones and I'd be saving a ton if I were to build up a collection.  

If you are interested in any of them I would go to youtube and watch the reviews that people do.  Some people will actually praise some of the KO's as there are rare instances where the molds were tweaked and improved on.  In other cases they will point out whether or not it is on par with the Takara / TOMY / Hasbro release or whether or not it is inferior. 

Bought a sizeable Transformers collection today.  Nice to get one as I haven't run across a toy collection in quite some time. 

A chunk of them are pretty beat up.  To keep it simple, the early stuff went thru hell and the newer stuff is really nice.  I tend to pitch the broken stuff. 

There is a totally trashed Jetfire.  At this point, people know my fascination with that toy.  Kind of a perfect situation as I've been looking for one for my work desk (but don't have to worry if it's stolen).  

Made me think of two questions:

A) When a figure is truly broken, do you throw them away or do something else (customs, repairs, etc)? 

B) Do you display a toy(s) at work?  What purpose (show some toy love, advertising so people might sell to you, etc)? 

Patrick

13 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Bought a sizeable Transformers collection today.  Nice to get one as I haven't run across a toy collection in quite some time. 

A chunk of them are pretty beat up.  To keep it simple, the early stuff went thru hell and the newer stuff is really nice.  I tend to pitch the broken stuff. 

There is a totally trashed Jetfire.  At this point, people know my fascination with that toy.  Kind of a perfect situation as I've been looking for one for my work desk (but don't have to worry if it's stolen).  

A) When a figure is truly broken, do you throw them away or do something else (customs, repairs, etc)? 

B) Do you display a toy(s) at work?  What purpose (show some toy love, advertising so people might sell to you, etc)? 

Patrick

A. When I picked up that large TF collection earlier this year, there were a lot of broken figures, which I sold on eBay. There's definitely a market for them. People use them for parts for their own broken figures, customs, etc. I was able to sell figures missing wheels, doors, even broken in half! And if you have any parts to that Jetfire, they may be worth selling as well. I got about $45 just for the fender thigh clips.

So, personally I don't keep broken figures, or do customs myself, but I do sell them rather than trash them. 

B. I have a few toys on my desk at work, some are things people gave to me (I have several knick knacks from my niece over the years) and a few random action figures. There's no rhyme or reason.I have the Ramones and Chuck D standing up in the window, Cap-Wolf and Hot Rod by my desktop. Just adds a little color to the place.

13 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

Congrats on the find!

A) I usually save figures/vehicles for parts and customs. Ive seen some cool jet fire customs where people paint him with some purple to make him a decepticon. Toyhax sells a sticker kit for it. Decepticon Jetfire I've been wanting to do that with my extra. With Gi Joe stuff its almost a must that you be open to rebuilding vehicles as many are incomplete. It was cheaper for me to buy several Whale chassis instead of individual parts.

B) I got a few of my smaller toys at work lol

Thanks for the responses to the questions.  

The collection is eclectic.  

Even has these weird St Charles trolley coins.  Don't think they are worth anything, but odd. 

There were a couple of super cheap and cool KO 80s Transformers.  One is a truly terrible/awesome space shuttle and the other a pretty neat robot that is a bunch of parts put together. 

1st time I've seen them.  Will post to see if someone knows them. 

Patrick

Thanks for that. 

Pics helped identify some accessories I have that I didn't know go to him. 

Dude in the link is obsessed.  

Anyone know the shuttle?  The transformation is so terrible. 

Weird enough that I guess I'll keep them.

Patrick

Edited by followtheleader

On 8/4/2019 at 1:03 AM, followtheleader said:

Thanks for that. 

Pics helped identify some accessories I have that I didn't know go to him. 

Dude in the link is obsessed.  

Anyone know the shuttle?  The transformation is so terrible. 

Weird enough that I guess I'll keep them.

Patrick

I think the space shuttle was from the Kelloggs starbot collection.

Edited by whisp

8 hours ago, whisp said:

I think the space shuttle was from the Kelloggs starbot collection.

That's correct, good call. 

http://thetoymuseum.blogspot.com/2013/12/1985-kelloggs-starbots-who-remembers.html

Okay in shuttle mode.  AWFUL in robot mode.  

Can't believe I've never seen one in all of the collections I've purchased. 

Patrick

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

That's correct, good call. 

http://thetoymuseum.blogspot.com/2013/12/1985-kelloggs-starbots-who-remembers.html

Okay in shuttle mode.  AWFUL in robot mode.  

Can't believe I've never seen one in all of the collections I've purchased. 

Patrick

My brain blocked the memories of these horrible pieces of plastic. I think they were so trashy that they didnt survive any first pass sweeps with moms of the 80s. 

I mean you cant tell the robot parts from the leftover plastic debris...

27 minutes ago, Cocomonkey said:

Looks like enough other people agree that Hasbro way overpriced the Unicron figure...

https://kotaku.com/it-s-not-looking-good-for-hasbro-s-4-6-million-transfo-1837201292

It might not make it...

I just saw the SDCC exclusives will be available soon. Including the Ghostbuster Optimus Hasbro Pulse