• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but the Marvel and DC (and Image) numbers at the same time were about ten times higher.  So, generally speaking, there's only 1/10th the supply in the first place... and now it's been 25+ years.  If (or should I say, since) the books were high quality, or at least, higher quality relative to the competition at the time, and the supply was 1/10th, then you've got the potential for a multiplier in Pre-Unity Valiant's favor when you look at both supply and demand.

How many had coupons that got ripped out?

I found these in a warehouse lot of comics today that I have never seen and haven't been able to find any information about: Deathmate Prologue White covers, along with one silver, regular edition. There were two unused, white covers without interiors and no staples and two with interiors that aren't the Deathmate Prologue. One white cover had a Nomad #1 inside it and the other had an issue of Shadowhawk as its interiors.

Here are photos:

deathmatewhite.jpg

deathmatewhitesilver.jpg

deathmatecorner.jpg

deathmateemptycover.jpg

deathmatenomad.jpg

deathmateshadowhawk.jpg

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I found these in a warehouse lot of comics today that I have never seen and haven't been able to find any information about: Deathmate Prologue White covers, along with one silver, regular edition. There were two unused, white covers without interiors and no staples and two with interiors that aren't the Deathmate Prologue. One white cover had a Nomad #1 inside it and the other had an issue of Shadowhawk as its interiors.

Here are photos:

deathmatewhite.jpg

deathmatewhitesilver.jpg

deathmatecorner.jpg

deathmateemptycover.jpg

deathmatenomad.jpg

deathmateshadowhawk.jpg

Send them to PGX for the museum treatment.

:roflmao:

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

No newsstand and no variant. Just one HTF old skool image book

IMG_4869.JPG

That's interesting, is that the third WildCATS tpb? Something else for my checklist!

20 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Here are photos:

deathmatewhite.jpg

deathmatewhitesilver.jpg

deathmatecorner.jpg

deathmateemptycover.jpg

deathmatenomad.jpg

deathmateshadowhawk.jpg

Adding my two cents... 

I was told the empty white covers without the foil were giveaways during the 1993 Deathmate Tour, since they were probably easy to carry in bulk and they could be signed by creators on the white edges.  I haven't heard of the "random contents" versions with staples, so I would assume they're either "just for fun" or they were some type of production test to make sure the covers would look OK with the correct number of pages inside.  Deathmate was a combined effort of Valiant and Image, so it's possible these primarily came from one "studio" and not the other.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Just curious why these are rare?  I have come across a few in the past and never thought to pick it up. 

Looks like on ebay that the final issue #10 might be hard to find or at least in low numbers, due to being the final issue and order numbers went down....

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Just curious why these are rare?  I have come across a few in the past and never thought to pick it up. 

They are nowhere near rare and I don't even understand why anybody cares about them. Some books just seem to develop an unearned reputation that sticks, while their equals (or betters) are ignored. But don't be fooled by the image, #1 isn't the real issue :wink: here.

They may be harder to find because it wasn't a regular series with a regular schedule, it had a higher cover prices than the average comic, and the crash was underway when the last issue came out.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

They are nowhere near rare and I don't even understand why anybody cares about them. Some books just seem to develop an unearned reputation that sticks, while their equals (or betters) are ignored. But don't be fooled by the image, #1 isn't the real issue :wink: here.

They may be harder to find because it wasn't a regular series with a regular schedule, it had a higher cover prices than the average comic, and the crash was underway when the last issue came out.

Every number 10 is the equivalent of a freshly-printed $20 bill. If you have such easy access to them, they're a ready sale on ebay.

1 hour ago, Brock said:

Every number 10 is the equivalent of a freshly-printed $20 bill. If you have such easy access to them, they're a ready sale on ebay.

Maybe reread what I wrote. I didn't say I was tripping over them every time I walked out the front door, just that they really aren't rare, but somehow got a reputation that they are exceptionally hard to find. Plus, the issue is literally a zero on the importance/relevance scale, which makes it even more confusing that other books with similar supply are nearly ignored.

Also, I haven't used eBay in years.