• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty staples: how big of a problem?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

As I try to educate myself more and more into silver age graded books, this one has not been easy to understand as I have read different opinions by different collectors in other threads.

If one or both staples in the slab present signs of rust, how "dangerous" is it? I mean, how big is the risk that the rust will migrate and through the coming years destroy larger parts of the book?

I understand that the aesthetic part of this problem is subjective, and many would consider it a big turn off, while others would prefer a rusted staple over marvel chipping or cream pages or bad centering, but my question is specifically about future risk of getting worse and influencing the overall condition of a valuable book. Anyone has had any experience of that?

All the best!

Hi guys,

As I try to educate myself more and more into silver age graded books, this one has not been easy to understand as I have read different opinions by different collectors in other threads.

If one or both staples in the slab present signs of rust, how "dangerous" is it? I mean, how big is the risk that the rust will migrate and through the coming years destroy larger parts of the book?

I understand that the aesthetic part of this problem is subjective, and many would consider it a big turn off, while others would prefer a rusted staple over marvel chipping or cream pages or bad centering, but my question is specifically about future risk of getting worse and influencing the overall condition of a valuable book. Anyone has had any experience of that?

All the best!

A big no no for me why own a book you have to worry about when you can find one that has no rust....makes no sens at all!! When spending large amounts of money buy a book you are 100% satisfied with not 99% but 100%. Imagine paying a lot of money for a book with rust then years down the road the book has turned into a mess....it is simply not worth it!! Most people who say rust is not a issue for them are dealers who buy it and move them they ''do not care'' if there is rust they are not holding onto the book for years and years till it is time to sell (try selling the same book to those same dealers bet you they will criticize the rust right away). That is no a position a long term collector has the luxury to do. This goes especially for the top 10 silver age books....there are more books out there without rust than rust so why chose the worst option when you actually have a choice if you take your time.

Rare golden age books are different some are so rare that you have to buy what you find otherwise you may never get another chance.

To answer your question , rust takes moisture and heat and time to develop or worsen

Store a book in a dry, cool environment and rust will not migrate any further or cause any more damage

Improperly subject a book to moisture and heat and let it "stew" and you potentially have big problems

To answer your question , rust takes moisture and heat and time to develop or worsen

Store a book in a dry, cool environment and rust will not migrate any further or cause any more damage

Improperly subject a book to moisture and heat and let it "stew" and you potentially have big problems

+1.

I try to avoid buying books with rusty staples, but if it's a tough/tougher book or a key, rusty staples do not pose as a show-stopper to me. I just factor it into the grade and price it accordingly. Replaced staples/additional staples (not manufacturing) bother me more. I agree with Hulk1962 that for Marvel Silver Age, even keys, those are not tough books and you will find your copy with rust-free staples. When you get into Golden Age/Atomic Age/even early DC Silver Age (depending on the book), I'm not as picky about having rust-free staples. OTOH, I think any book after 1965, you want rust-free staples.

I'd avoid anything that has migration of rust onto the paper as that affects the integrity of the book itself.

A little rust on the staples is not much of a problem.

Do NOT store them in a document safe, however.

I will not buy a book with (1) rusted staples (of any level) and (2) tape - as I feel like both of these can contribute to deterioration of the book down the road. However, I know lots of people who don't care and would much prefer either of those defects to pieces missing or chipping etc.

But Gator is correct that rust takes moisture and heat to continue to spread - but I would rather just not take the risk, especially on silver age books (especially on readily available Marvel books :) )

I will not buy a book with (1) rusted staples (of any level) and (2) tape - as I feel like both of these can contribute to deterioration of the book down the road. However, I know lots of people who don't care and would much prefer either of those defects to pieces missing or chipping etc.

Good point re tape. I dislike tape more than rusty staples.

A little patina to the staples, okay. Rust? I will avoid at all costs.

This is about where I fall. If there's actual rust, I pass.

For any post-1965 book, I scratch each staple with a fingernail, needs to be smooth before I proceed with a purchase. Pre-1965, a little patina or minor oxidation, I often let it fly. Outright rust, see above.

I believe the replacement of rusty staples with vintage staples will be considered as conservation by CGC.

How does the other company handle this as I am not sure if they even have this conservation category at all? ???

Just out of curiosity how do rusty staples affect the grade of an otherwise solid book?

Such as a book that presents as an 8-9 but has rusty staples.

Does CGC grade hard on the staples? Assuming they do just have no first hand experience.