• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

Today's oddball question:  treasurycomics.com mentions Steranko's The Block.  I have, as I am sure most people do, the reprint in Comixscene 4.  But, after quite a bit of looking (on and off) for years, has anybody ever found a copy of the actual book?  It's not listed on the GCD, and I'm wondering if anybody has actually seen the version distributed to schools.

The LCS I went to today had got in a 3 truck load collection, I finally made it by there today :) 

Anyway they had treasury editions, boy these picture's don't do them justice to just how BIG they are, even compared to Mag's and now I know that I've never seen any in person before lol

Anyway, They had them priced at $6-30, the one's that I looked at anyway. The only knowledge I have is that they had already sold the ALI VS Superman for $90. Basically I didn't know what I was looking at O.o Mighty Thor Treasury 3 at $6, Fantastic Four Treasury 2, Superman 1 limited Collectors Edition at $30, Conan the Barbarian 4 Marvel Treasury (but they had it priced at $6 due to how poor OR Dirty the cover was), anyway they were fun to look at :) for the first time ever 

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

The oversized art panels are a special treat - if you decide to buy any, you can focus on many of your favorite artists.

Totally :) you can't get them graded by CGC, But once I saw how "big" they were, it reminded me of something like "archival" things and I guess that is the point of "treasury"

I am going back later to flip through again and maybe get some with cool cover's. I really wouldn't mind getting them framed!

or I could see the nostalgia :) in my comic room I don't have boxes that would fit a treasury and they would have to be out and about somewere, so a frame would be my best orderly option to save space. But i think they'd look nice in a frame, just need to pick my favorite lol so I don't take up the whole wall or ceiling haha

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Totally :) you can't get them graded by CGC, But once I saw how "big" they were, it reminded me of something like "archival" things and I guess that is the point of "treasury"

I am going back later to flip through again and maybe get some with cool cover's. I really wouldn't mind getting them framed!

or I could see the nostalgia :) in my comic room I don't have boxes that would fit a treasury and they would have to be out and about somewere, so a frame would be my best orderly option to save space. But i think they'd look nice in a frame, just need to pick my favorite lol so I don't take up the whole wall or ceiling haha

Dude, skip the entombment and read them.  The oversized art is way cool.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Dude, skip the entombment and read them.  The oversized art is way cool.

lol your right they'd make great coffee table books to have out to read and/or conversation starters, I just didn't want to damage them :) at the LCS they did have them in mylar with a board, so that's taken care of, I would be interested as to what they read like or look like on the inside. I was talking to another customer there about them, he was stating that some of the art was  drawn at regular size and then enlarged or something...and that somehow made the art less appealing..... idk I still think they're cool, and I was impressed with the covers :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/13/2017 at 3:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol your right they'd make great coffee table books to have out to read and/or conversation starters, I just didn't want to damage them :) at the LCS they did have them in mylar with a board, so that's taken care of, I would be interested as to what they read like or look like on the inside. I was talking to another customer there about them, he was stating that some of the art was  drawn at regular size and then enlarged or something...and that somehow made the art less appealing..... idk I still think they're cool, and I was impressed with the covers :)

While there might be one or two exceptions, for the most part the art was never enlarged for the treasuries.  It just wasn't reduced, which means you get to see a lot of great detail not visible in normal books.  Think the "artist's editions" we have today, not a bad blowup of a smaller piece.  I particularly call your attention to the two treasuries Kirby did new work on, or the Conans with Barry Windsor-Smith art, for instance.  (Since you said Ali/ Superman was already gone.)

The LCS had some 1st Edition's that were big "treasury" size like Greggy posted on this page, they had different cover's though ??? I'm guessing they were like TPB's? and were a collection of runs? I ask because the little that I could see of them, they were Wonder Woman's, but they didn't look like greggy's on this page that look like hardcovers.... I'm really out of my element, just curious.

Anyway they had those behind the counter, they really seemed to have a lot from the collection(s?) they got in recently. I went from never seeing or noticing them before, to oh carp where's the memo with what to do now lol 

I just picked up an assortment to figure them out :blush:

On 6/28/2017 at 6:58 PM, OtherEric said:

Not my book, but saw it at a friend's house earlier today, and had to take a picture for here.  What the heck is Parkes Run, anyway?

ESB.jpg

IMG_1120.PNG.18aa0e76b9a0efd20acd01098af2287b.PNGHere's an old Parkes Run flyer.

IMG_1119.PNG.72ee98d1d952a7b82cd8f5fde13cef81.PNG

I was going through and updating images in this thread ( photo bucket), and ran across a few more Treasury related items.

I know it's a lot to ask, but it would be great if everyone who posted in this thread could go through and update their images that would be awesome. I hate to see them lost. Thanks!

59b9dbd57369e_IMG_1291copy.GIF.4d1402897c7f6e14587b7cbb6f213061.GIF

59b9dbeb8bffb_TreasuryAd.png.6d6c73ea6dc47e59545913a0f1454011.pngIMG_2093.PNG.1ee8d3ade32ee61a011c42bcc536e9a8.PNG

IMG_1292.GIF.f89ea3a557eaa290f3ee72bd3861fc07.GIF