• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo Comic Con - August 2016 - Report

117 posts in this topic

Rant time.

Some dealers just had their books priced incorrectly. Then they wonder why they aren't selling anything.

IMG_20160814_123541736_zpsam8vhgbn.jpg

Great Recap. I went to a local show today with the same pricing structure.

Some wall.

IMG_20160814_142449840_zpspvfbhhse.jpg

These prices look fine, I would've bought a few things from this guy.

Wes Hagen's assistant (can't remember his name) is in the foreground of the Walking Dead shot, so I assume those were his bins. I haven't seen him in a while, but he usually has good stuff, unless he just brought cheapie bins.

IMG_20160814_114337572_zpsm6kpomzi.jpg

Holy cow are these the guys right on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda? I never knew so much Timely goodness was so close.

Very impressive show for Buffalo.

They ran the show, I hope they would bring impressive inventory.

Dave & Adam's ran the show, brought impressive inventory, but failed to adequately advertise.

A large percentage of attendees were there for Rik Flair.

Holy cow are these the guys right on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda? I never knew so much Timely goodness was so close.

Dave & Adam's ran the show, brought impressive inventory, but failed to adequately advertise.

The outside of the store near me just looks like a sports card shop, no hint of superhero related stuff IIRC. I'll have to stop in tomorrow and get on the mailing list and see if they have tons of GA books at that location. If the shows look like this (a far cry from emil's shows), then I'll try to pop in to the next one.

The outside of the store near me just looks like a sports card shop, no hint of superhero related stuff IIRC. I'll have to stop in tomorrow and get on the mailing list and see if they have tons of GA books at that location. If the shows look like this (a far cry from emil's shows), then I'll try to pop in to the next one.

They have a very large warehouse on 55 Oriskany Drive in Tonawanda, NY.

I just got home myself. I was able to pick up a few books. The pearl is a 5.0 copy of Tomb of Terror 15. Very happy to pick up a nice presenting mid-grade copy. I was able to "paw" many Golden and Silver keys that are way out of my league.

Overall I am happy with the Nickel City Con. At $15 to enter, and a decent amount of actual comic book dealers on the floor, I was pleasantly surprised. CGC was on site, and I was able to submit my first ever books (4 total).

The waiting begins.

Unlike some other shows, I don't have a headache from a booming PA - it was relatively quite on the floor - being able to have a conversation with a dealer is important as I always learn something from the exchange.

I believe it was announced that Nickel City will be back for another show May 19-21 2017. Count me in.

Sweet book!!!! :)

(And yes, anyone who missed this one, Dave and Adam will be putting on another convention in May. Highly recommend going to anyone who can make it)

IMG_20160814_114311436_zpsyt0jpssl.jpg

Someone was selling these in SDCC. I wonder if it's the same dealer? He had a ton of variants from the early 90s, all of them overpriced

Its the same dealer.

he bought hundreds of these in a storage auction / warehouse sale.

Is this location open to the public?

Not really. They don't have a true storefront at that location.

Looking at all 3 locations online (curiously enough all on or right off of Sheridan Dr) it seems like the store at sheridan/transit is the only one with a mention of comics. Unless I missed it (very possible), I don't see any comics in any of their online pics. Weird, considering they have such serious GA stock.

Is this location open to the public?

Not really. They don't have a true storefront at that location.

Looking at all 3 locations online (curiously enough all on or right off of Sheridan Dr) it seems like the store at sheridan/transit is the only one with a mention of comics. Unless I missed it (very possible), I don't see any comics in any of their online pics. Weird, considering they have such serious GA stock.

I asked the guy at the booth about which location carried comics and it sounds like that location is the main one for comics....BUT if you're seeing something specific on the wall pics, it sounds like these convention books are on their way to Chicago.

(shrug)

Nice report! Ill be doing one for Toronto Fan expo as well!

Bummer about some of those prices tho. Seems like some guys are happy to just show off their books rathar than sell.

Hoping to find some fair prices in toronto.