• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about Black Friday and Thanksgiving weekend

24 posts in this topic

Question.

I wanted to run a few eBay auctions that were going to start tonight and end on Thursday, Nov 24th.

I'm Canadian so our Thanksgiving was in October.

As Americans, do you expect the night before Black Friday to be a decent or a poor auction day?

What about the rest of the weekend?

Just curious. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't plan to buy much during the holidays, as far as auctions I'd be away from the computer with family, ie cowboys game, turkey, board games

by the time I got home I'd check auctions but only to get a deal not to make a big purchase...

rest of the weekend might be pretty normal I'd think, ie ending on Sunday

some might have spent a wad on Black Friday deals and I don't know when Cyber Monday is/was

but gift giving might affect auctions (i don't have family willing to do research on comics to buy as christmas gifts... :P but I suppose you might find a rebel to buy comics on the sale weekend for Christmas gifts....however unlikely lol )

I will be posting some auctions myself and will be making them 10 day auctions so that they don't close on Turkey Day. I'm hoping everyone gets their fill of relatives visiting :slapfight: and that they later decide to buy a new comic to curl up to. :cloud9:

There may be a few bargain hunters online, but a lot of people will be tied up with family and other activities.

I think Wed the day before Thanksgiving has the most travel traffic of any day during year - those people probably won't be online shopping much. That actually starts on Friday, with the B.F. sale madness/mania.

I'd avoid putting up any auction which ends from November 23 - 26th. Just too much going on that weekend. The 27th may be a good day to end it but its a coin flip. I'd just wait to end it the next week if it was me.

Another Canadian question: Is Black Friday a stat holiday, or do you need to take a vacation day to have that day off work?

No,Thanksgiving is one of our 10 federal holidays, so everyone usually has it off, the Friday after (Black Friday), most companies just include as a day off due to it already being close to the weekend.

Another Canadian question: Is Black Friday a stat holiday, or do you need to take a vacation day to have that day off work?

No, it's one of our 10 federal holidays, so everyone usually has it off.

pretty much unless you work in retail or a restaurant or some other customer service job (gas station, amusement park, spa, delivery, some gardeners, etc, )you have the day off.

Well Black Friday I don't think is an actual "holiday" it is just the name of the sales that go on the day after Thanksgiving, so going to work is optional for the employer. but usually it is a day off cause it is a usless to go to work on friday having Thursday off IMO but quick google search it is not a federal holiday...

My experience is that holidays like Thanksgiving are great for sales on Ebay out of my store, so if you were doing fixed price listings, it's not a bad time to offer new material. I normally will sell 5-10 books on Thanskgiving and Black Friday alone...people are in front of their computers and on their phones looking to purchase things for themselves or others during that time...so certainly more eyeballs then normal perusing your listings.

Auctions, however, are definitely something to avoid, for all the reasons articulated already by others.

Black Friday is not a US holiday, Federal or in most cases even State. Many are given the day off by the employer as a bonus or take the day off themselves, but it is NOT a holiday.

Black Friday is not a US holiday, Federal or in most cases even State. Many are given the day off by the employer as a bonus or take the day off themselves, but it is NOT a holiday.

Getting mixed signals here folks....for those who do corporate time sheets, is it stat or vacation time?

+1

USPS holidays generally match up with most businesses in the US, so you can google those two terms and get the best list

My experience is that holidays like Thanksgiving are great for sales on Ebay out of my store, so if you were doing fixed price listings, it's not a bad time to offer new material. I normally will sell 5-10 books on Thanskgiving and Black Friday alone...people are in front of their computers and on their phones looking to purchase things for themselves or others during that time...so certainly more eyeballs then normal perusing your listings.

That actually makes sense.

People get liquored up and then go online shopping while the better half is making Turkey! lol