• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOME ARTIST's appreciation thread

26 posts in this topic

So, it's all the rage on Moderns to try and talk up artists, and speculate in their variants that no one had interest in previously.

I feel like the artists who aren't being pimped and pumped are being ignored. Hence, the SOME ARTIST appreciation thread. Who is your favourite artist, especially if they do variant covers, that is underappreciated.

No artist who's variants have been pimped or pumped is welcome in this thread, but all other artists are welcome.

Mico Suayan is my offering to the thread.

Who else is under-appreciated.

Marcos Martin (thumbs u

thnx :)

any good example cover I can check out?

For Mico, I find it's the inks/sketchs that are so spectacular, most of them look less amazing colored or painted, havent found a good example to share. I am thinking about just throwing up some CAF original art covers for those who havent seen his work.

X-Men Legacy and Punisher 2011 were where I first encountered him. Only artist who has ever tempted me towards OA.

For your guy, what's your fav. Marcos Martin cover?

I really like Phil Noto's, Bill Sienkiewicz's and Jay Anacleto's art. :)

Noto worked on the Black Widow 2014 series and has, I think, some Hip Hop and Champions variants.

First encountered Sienkiewicz's art in Black Widow 2005 and later when I was reading Daredevil. I don't read Harley Quinn but I bought the first few issues of the Rebirth series for the Sienkiewicz variants (free to order). Thankfully, Frank Cho's doing the covers on those now so that's one less drain on the wallet.

Sienkiewicz is doing 1:50 covers for Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye but DCBS wants $50 for Kingpin and $100 each for the other two. I'll probably try to get these from Midtown.

No idea what Anacleto has been working on recently. I just have Athena and Aria. I think he might have done an incentive variant for Captain America Steve Rogers. I tend to prefer his female drawings, though.

I also love the Skottie Young Baby Variants but I believe those are already quite well known. :)

I really like Phil Noto's, Bill Sienkiewicz's and Jay Anacleto's art. :)

Noto worked on the Black Widow 2014 series and has, I think, some Hip Hop and Champions variants.

First encountered Sienkiewicz's art in Black Widow 2005 and later when I was reading Daredevil. I don't read Harley Quinn but I bought the first few issues of the Rebirth series for the Sienkiewicz variants (free to order). Thankfully, Frank Cho's doing the covers on those now so that's one less drain on the wallet.

Sienkiewicz is doing 1:50 covers for Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye but DCBS wants $50 for Kingpin and $100 each for the other two. I'll probably try to get these from Midtown.

No idea what Anacleto has been working on recently. I just have Athena and Aria. I think he might have done an incentive variant for Captain America Steve Rogers. I tend to prefer his female drawings, though.

I also love the Skottie Young Baby Variants but I believe those are already quite well known. :)

Sienkiewicz is a great artist. I especially dug the variant for HQ #4, here it is

Harley-Quinn-4-Bill-Sienkiewicz-Variant-Cover-2016.jpg

Bill also did a variant for Cave Carson #1 and I hope he will continue with those.

Marcos Martin (thumbs u

thnx :)

any good example cover I can check out?

For your guy, what's your fav. Marcos Martin cover?

I have a problem buying 655's whenever I see them :screwy: I don't normally buy variants but I did buy the 648 variant & the ASM 700 skyline.

I think this would be my current favourite though.

spider-man1.jpg

They're all in my thread. :D

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau is my current favorite artist. He's pretty well known but I don't think he has his own appreciation thread. Here is his website http://artgerm.com/

Artgerm is well known and has a following already. I'm a fan of his work as well, but don't think he would classify as "under appreciated". IMO.

However, maybe we should start an appreciation thread for him. lol

When you're talking about variants, what does 1:50 mean? For every 50 copies of a book a store buys they get one copy of a variant af that book?

Sorry. I don't know diddly about variants.

At least for Marvel, if the store buys x copies of the regular cover, they're allowed to buy one copy of the variant at cover price (minus wholesale discount). They usually have multiple tiers - 1:10, 1:15, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100. I think the worst was 1:5000.

Sienkiewicz is a great artist. I especially dug the variant for HQ #4, here it is

Harley-Quinn-4-Bill-Sienkiewicz-Variant-Cover-2016.jpg

Bill also did a variant for Cave Carson #1 and I hope he will continue with those.

Can't quite decide if HQ #1 or HQ #7 is my fave. :D

3571259.jpg3747191.jpg

The great thing about these, they're quite plentiful at cover price or less. :)

I believe he's also doing the Cover B variant eds for the latest Trinity (I think #6?) on Dec Previews.