• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 in demand SA books for 2017?

42 posts in this topic

Once Brainiac shows up in the Justice League closing credits scene we're going to see Action Comics #242 take off! ;)

I agree with AGGIEZ... Not only from a character and context perspective but there seem to be very few in comparison to the others in any grade (261 on census).

Ok,I will play.

AF 15(New movie means new interest.)

HULK 1(in new Thor movie. battles Thor "Nuff Said".)

SHOWCASE 4(I didn`t realize how popular the Flash show is.Gigantic interest in this.)

BB 28(JLA movie buzz is starting to pick up.)

STRANGE TALES 110(Same like Flash in bigger interest than suspected.)

Once Brainiac shows up in the Justice League closing credits scene we're going to see Action Comics #242 take off! ;)

I agree with AGGIEZ... Not only from a character and context perspective but there seem to be very few in comparison to the others in any grade (261 on census).

I agree Action Comics 242 still has a lot of room to grow.

I'll go with books that have room to grow this year 2017.

1) Showcase 22 (I may be biased a little) :/

2) Amazing Fantasy 15 (One of the Greatest SA Character created)

3) Hulk 1 (consolidating the last few years surge)

4) Action 242 (though the 8.0 was an anomaly)

5) X-men 1

5) X-men 1

(thumbs u

I like your list except I would take Action 242 off. With the possible exception of Bats characters and Thanos, villains are a fly by night property, and I don't feel comfortable premising a book's potential hotness solely on the kinda, sorta, maybe if it happens movie appearance. Action 252 has seen its day, if anything it will continue cooling this year along with Tec 225.

Stick Showcase 4 in that #4 and switch the places with # 1 and #2 spot my friend. AF 15 will always be the #1 most in demand book, in any year, period. :shy:

-J.

5) X-men 1

(thumbs u

I like your list except I would take Action 242 off. With the possible exception of Bats characters and Thanos, villains are a fly by night property, and I don't feel comfortable premising a book's potential hotness solely on the kinda, sorta, maybe if it happens movie appearance. Action 252 has seen its day, if anything it will continue cooling this year along with Tec 225.

Stick Showcase 4 in that #4 and switch the places with # 1 and #2 spot my friend. AF 15 will always be the #1 most in demand book, in any year, period. :shy:

-J.

I understand about your villains analysis. Action 242 is on the list for 2017 higher growth, but I don't see it sustain long term. The reason I put SC22 #1, because I'm a little biased. ;) and it's undervalued. Showcase 4 and Brave & the Bold 28 is not on my top five room for growth in 2017, because both books had a lot of growth the last few years...but possible stronger growth in 2018.

Here's my list for this year:

AF 15 (perpetual growth)

OAAW 83 - a war book! The Action Comics 1 of the war genre is the scarcest major SA book and is the most challenging SA key to find in nice condition. No movie and the blah, blah, blah about war books being dead doesn't stop this book from continuing to climb.

Adventure Comics 247 - the Legion's 1st app. is a tough book to find (especially those seeking ow or better pq) with a classic Curt Swan cover. This 1958 book is special and will be sought after. There's a reason why this book was once the number one SA key back in the 80s. Adventure Comics 247 may very well be going "back to the future."

Showcase 22 - a "two-tiered SA key" that is easier to locate but difficult to find a nice presenting mid grade copy with ow or better pg. This book is relatively undervalued and can and will only go up.

Journey into Mystery 83 - the next '62er that will move closer to the the two other great Marvel books published that year - you know which ones are those...

Outlier- Showcase 6 - this book has room to grow because it is the King's only DC SA creation that juxtaposed Sci Fi and Pre-Hero monsters around a team of heroes- this first new SA concept will eventually capture many collectors. Maybe 2017 will be the year?

Best,

John

AF 15 (perpetual growth)

OAAW 83 - a war book! The Action Comics 1 of the war genre is the scarcest major SA book and is the most challenging SA key to find in condition. No movie and and the blah, blah, blah about war books being dead doesn't stop this book from continuing to climb.

Adventure Comics 247 - the Legion's 1st app. is a tough book to find (especially those seeking ow or better pq) with a classic Curt Swan cover. This 1958 book is special and will be sought after. There's a reason why this book was once the number one SA key back in the 80s. Adventure Comics 247 may very well be going "back to the future."

Showcase 22 - a "two-tiered SA key" that is easier to locate but difficult to find a nice presenting mid grade copy with ow or better pg. This book is relatively undervalued and can and will only go up.

Journey into Mystery 83 - the next '62er that will move closer to the the two other great Marvel books that year - you know which ones are those...

Outlier- Showcase 6 - this book has room to grow because it is the King's only DC SA creation that juxtaposed Sci Fi, Pre-Hero monsters, around a team of heroes- this first new SA concept will eventually capture many collectors. Maybe 2017 will be the year?

Best,

John

I'd have to agree with every one of these choices. :applause:

Is this post about 1) the HIGHEST demand SA books in 2017 or 2) the BIGGEST INCREASE in demand SA books in 2017?

Two very different questions...

If it's #1, then you can just list off AF#15, SC#4, FF#1, Hulk#1 and one of JIM#83/TOS#39/ASM#1/BB#28 and call it a day.

If it's #2, that becomes a more interesting discussion, which is why I threw Action#242 out there. Sure, that book will never eclipse the books I listed above in demand, but relative to its own current demand I think it has the potential to increase exponentially in 2017...similar to what we saw Iron Man #55 do in 2012.

Price sustainability is another question altogether.

AF 15 (perpetual growth)

OAAW 83 - a war book! The Action Comics 1 of the war genre is the scarcest major SA book and is the most challenging SA key to find in condition. No movie and the blah, blah, blah about war books being dead doesn't stop this book from continuing to climb.

Journey into Mystery 83 - the next '62er that will move closer to the the two other great Marvel books that year - you know which ones are those...

Outlier- Showcase 6 - this book has room to grow because it is the King's only DC SA creation that juxtaposed Sci Fi, Pre-Hero monsters, around a team of heroes- this first new SA concept will eventually capture many collectors. Maybe 2017 will be the year?

Best,

John

OAAW 83 and Adventure 247 are really,really good picks. One movie or TV appearance than boom we would see a huge price increase.

Based on the offers I have received for my 9.0 copy in the past 9 months, I believe you are spot on with this book's quiet explosion finally coming to the forefront for many collectors.

Based on the offers I have received for my 9.0 copy in the past 9 months, I believe you are spot on with this book's quiet explosion finally coming to the forefront for many collectors.

A rising tide raises all boats...how much of it can be attributable to the fact that nearly every single 1st appearance book out there seems to be selling for a premium over prior prices?

Is this post about 1) the HIGHEST demand SA books in 2017 or 2) the BIGGEST INCREASE in demand SA books in 2017?

If it's #1, then you can just list off AF#15, SC#4, FF#1, Hulk#1 and one of JIM#83/TOS#39/ASM#1/BB#28 and call it a day.

If it's #2, that becomes a more interesting discussion, which is why I threw Action#242 out there. Sure, that book will never eclipse the books I listed above in demand, but relative to its own current demand I think it has the potential to increase exponentially in 2017...similar to what we saw Iron Man #55 do in 2012.

Is FF #1 really in that high of demand? I think ASM #1 is more sought after. FF #1 is lumped in with the others at #5, if not lower. There is very little demand for it for me at shows. More people ask for/buy X-Men or DD #1s. (shrug)

Then again, that might be a contrarian indicator that now is the time to buy one. lol

Is FF #1 really in that high of demand? I think ASM #1 is more sought after. FF #1 is lumped in with the others at #5, if not lower. There is very little demand for it for me at shows. More people ask for/buy X-Men or DD #1s. (shrug)

Then again, that might be a contrarian indicator that now is the time to buy one. lol

Those weren't in any particular order, but I did make the assumption that the highest priced SA Keys were the ones in top demand...guess supply should factor in to that equation as well.

That's why I posed the question though because it seemed like a lot of boardies were just posting the most expensive books out there. To me, the question is which 5 books will increase in demand more in 2017 over their 2016 demand....i.e. which will be the hottest 5 books in 2017.

EH, I'm think about this too hard...

AF 15 (perpetual growth)

OAAW 83 - a war book! The Action Comics 1 of the war genre is the scarcest major SA book and is the most challenging SA key to find in condition. No movie and and the blah, blah, blah about war books being dead doesn't stop this book from continuing to climb.

Best,

John

I'd have to agree with every one of these choices. :applause:

Thanks Oak (thumbs u

It's such a great SA key (thumbs u

Marvel pulled the plug on the FF title many moons ago.

Book is dead. Not least accelerated by FOX incompetence ...