• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,752 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

haven't seen this issue much

I agree (though I posted mine 8 days ago :baiting:) It's typically missing from the long runs of Wings that sits in dealers' boxes.

Really sharp copy :applause:

Edited by Scrooge

9 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

another bright-colors-f.h.-pickup---haven't seen this issue much.

wings37.jpg

Bombing the Capitol? Now they've gone too far! :cry: Or, maybe not .... :)

Actually, I don't think there were too many examples of covers showing the Germans or Japanese attacking DC.  I can only think of a couple of others. hm

On 10/29/2017 at 3:04 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I got my Baker Page I’ve been looking for. Some assist from Kamen I believe. Story is attributed in Art of Glamour.  

Fight 53 Page 8

2D8E2999-2EC4-4A02-88C7-3AB400D5FAC0.jpeg.9efd74f3690b7ef5eaa422b3f770f0de.jpeg:x

Plenty of Baker girls in this OA to satisfy the most discerning Bakerite! Congrats!

I was just reading one of the Spirit Archives yesterday and they tell a similar story, only it was written by Eisner in 2000, he's referring to 1939 and it's all about how he went to work for what was to become Quality Comics, writing "The Spirit".  He mentions that there were 4 issues of Wow, but also how he worked on comics promoting training for the armed forces.

I can't scan it, but I'll see if I can take a photo and post it, it's a few pages.

Thanks for the writeup, Zolne!  Along those lines, moving off topic into the area Sharon mentions

It was Iger who paid off Eisner for his 50% - $20,000.  You know what that kind of money meant in those days.  Not bad for a kid who three years earlier, at the age of 19, pitched Iger on the idea of opening a studio.  Iger said ok  if Eisner would put up the money, and Eisner said sure.  He had $15 to his name, and his father was good for another $15.  That was enough to cover two months rent on a 10' X 10' room in a building at 43rd and Madison.  Eisner was never short of guts and vision.

In his deal with Busy Arnold, a barely 23 year old Eisner exhibited business acumen far beyond his age and insisted on the right to own his own creations should their agreement dissolve.  As compared to all the rest, who in a million years never even would have asked.  He was always moving ahead into uncharted territory, creatively and financially.  Into comics as a wage earner.  Moving up to business owner, supplying material.  Out of comics and into newspaper syndication.  Out of syndication into the Army, offering to supply small cartoons to a military base newspaper and then leveraging that years later into becoming a single source supplier for decades to the US military for training material, serving his country and making a good living at the same time, using his God given talent no longer for entertaining boys but for imparting information to adults in a powerful and meaningful way.

PS1a_zps45aa9feb.jpg