• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw ASM 11 9.6 (?) plus other nice books on eBay from new seller - legit?

74 posts in this topic

Should ask for close up photos. If he has the book(s), then he should be able to provide them.

This was the up close photo of the cert# the seller sent me.

PekF61i.jpg

CGC# no longer is in the CGC Database as book was likely cracked/pressed and the old # removed from DB (when label was sent in) to make way for new #

What you likely have here is the pic of the "old label" now removed.

That was the case with my Tec 49 (graded in '04) as the original CGC# was removed and no longer available for lookup. It was part of an OO submission that went from issue 43-50. The CGC #s are all sequential but the old number for the 49 can no longer be found as it has a new CGC# (was cracked and pressed unfortunately and lost the original cert#)

The only other time a cert# cannot be found is if book has just been graded and cert not yet entered in the DB, which is not the case of the ASM.

I think you nailed it, Peter.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the numbers on the close-up of the cert don't match the numbers on the full-blown image of the slab in the listing. Last number looks like a 1 vs. 4, fourth and fifth numbers don't appear to both be 7's on the full-blown image, etc.

Why dont we just simply tell him our concerns - and have him post a video of himself showing all the books on youtube.

Do it! Take the ball and run with it.

OK I took your advice haha..

I just wrote him this via eBay.

Hi - Your items are really nice and I (and I think many others) would like to bid, but we have concerns due to your lack of feedback, etc..

I thought you would like to know there is a thread about this very subject on the CGC Forum http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9747886&fpart=1

If you are legit, why not address the concerns...by joining the forum and chatting with us. Perhaps you are a member of CGC, etc, and maybe you are on the boards already - or maybe you have already READ that thread haha .. but anyway.. just a thought it might be in your interest to do so. (..i.e., perhaps a video showing you and all the items in your possession, etc.. would go a LONG way toward alleviating these concerns ) - or perhaps you have other ideas..

Anyway, just reaching out - welcome to eBay and all that jazz.. Good luck w/ your auctions.

Why dont we just simply tell him our concerns - and have him post a video of himself showing all the books on youtube.

Do it! Take the ball and run with it.

OK I took your advice haha..

I just wrote him this via eBay.

:applause:

He/she answered...here it is...

New message from: mastephenso-0 (1)

Hello thanks for the inquiry

I wholeheartedly understand the lack of feedback issue, and this is certainly my fault. I honestly believed that I could list a handful of NICE books and stir some interest , generating more business and bids than smaller dollar items. i think that has been partially successful . It has been a fun ride that is for sure.

The volume of inquiries , requests, many obscure no doubt to ease ones mind about a low FB seller. Dancing naked with a book on my chest on video? :P Just kidding,,,!

I appreciate you reaching out , I might have rethink my listing these on my own an utilize a professional. The sheer volume of it and being the perfectionist I am (aren't most of us collectors ?) trying to do the best job is becoming exceedingly difficult with a day job , family , etc....

I guess I am naive , but what would someone achieve with selling something NOT in their possession ? What would happen at auction close? They just do it to cause chaos, thrill anarchists?

I am not up to joining your forum tonight, but I will and thanks for the offer I did poke around and it seems like a cool community, paranoid :P but i guess there are reasons for that.

Perhaps and this just occurred to me, if i pulled my listings and sold on the forum? is that allowed? Save fees would be watched by all ? Or have someone help me with listing the most efficient way like one of the dealers or heavy hitters?

I tried many different formats of images not to be deceptive but to see what works best, And i think a scan AND a picture is the smart way to list, don't see that , whatever works that would ease the influx of questions

Have a great night!

Respectfully

Mad Max

The sheer volume of it and being the perfectionist I am (aren't most of us collectors ?) trying to do the best job is becoming exceedingly difficult with a day job , family , etc....

I tried many different formats of images not to be deceptive

Including cropped scans. Most of the images were far from perfect. First time I ever heard this excuse...

And trying to do the "best job" with nine high grade or big books is not exceedingly diffiicult - not when a considerable amount of money is at stake, at least.

And one last thing - the only seller I have ever known on eBay (and I've been on it for almost two decades) who graded raw early silver age books as "NM+" was that man from Floral Park, NY.

I was looking at that FF 12 already

But I don't want to be the first person to buy from him.

Someone step up and take one for the team

Looks like a 5.5 with that spine stress, not an 8.5.

agreed! Awful grading.

Should ask for close up photos. If he has the book(s), then he should be able to provide them.

This was the up close photo of the cert# the seller sent me.

PekF61i.jpg

CGC# no longer is in the CGC Database as book was likely cracked/pressed and the old # removed from DB (when label was sent in) to make way for new #

What you likely have here is the pic of the "old label" now removed.

That was the case with my Tec 49 (graded in '04) as the original CGC# was removed and no longer available for lookup. It was part of an OO submission that went from issue 43-50. The CGC #s are all sequential but the old number for the 49 can no longer be found as it has a new CGC# (was cracked and pressed unfortunately and lost the original cert#)

The only other time a cert# cannot be found is if book has just been graded and cert not yet entered in the DB, which is not the case of the ASM.

I think you nailed it, Peter.

There are other ASM books in the submission that are on the database.

Grade Date 05/14/2001 .

You are correct, the #13 was resubbed.

The sheer volume of it and being the perfectionist I am (aren't most of us collectors ?) trying to do the best job is becoming exceedingly difficult with a day job , family , etc....

Including cropped scans. Most of the images were far from perfect. First time I ever heard this excuse...

And trying to do the "best job" with nine high grade or big books is not exceedingly diffiicult - not when a considerable amount of money is at stake, at least.

And one last thing - the only seller I have ever known on eBay (and I've been on it for almost two decades) who graded raw early silver age books as "NM+" was that man from Floral Park, NY.

Sure 'feels' like the same guy.

Sure 'feels' like the same guy.

Yeah, the very first line in the auction is very "Hammer-esque". The rest of it, not as much.