• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We don't own comics, we rent them (constantly buying and selling)

36 posts in this topic

Someone once told me, "We don't own comics. We rent them." I laughed at the time, but I'm seeing now just how true that statement is.

I'm at the point again in which I'm selling off chunks of my collection to make room for other books or to simply get rid of books I'm no longer interested in. Sometimes I think about how much free time I'd have it I wasn't always cycling through comics to sell.

When it comes PCs (as opposed to speculating/flipping or selling as a business), is it common for collectors to constantly go through the cycle of buying and selling? Or is this simply a product of the fact that I've never found a focused collecting goal?

Getting back into the hobby after a long absence, I'm making a huge effort to keep it small and tightly focused. 1 long box of readers and about two short boxes of the nicer Mylite2s and full back board type-collection stuff. I think I have 8 slabs.

At times I've already felt overwhelmed by what I have and the fact that my OCD is taking over. Sometimes I feel, "This isn't fun anymore."

I think being older and a wiser collector helps.

I dunno. I'm probably doomed...

I heard a dealer in antiques say that collectors have to sell periodically to maintain the integrity of their collections and if you don't, then you're actually a hoarder. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

Hi, my name is aerischan and I'm a hoarder. :hi: It's been 12 hours since my last comic purchase.

Not me I keep the comics I like. Sometimes though I justify a purchase with 'well I can easily sell it right back for the same amount'. But I never do.

When it comes PCs (as opposed to speculating/flipping or selling as a business), is it common for collectors to constantly go through the cycle of buying and selling? Or is this simply a product of the fact that I've never found a focused collecting goal?

I cycled thru the accumulation-liquidation cycle several times as a PC (peak was about 35 longboxes). Might have been going from 70's to '60's or title to title, or SA to GA. Picked a collecting focus in 2009 and finally have whittled down the collection to 95% of being "in-focus".

Do I ever fall off the "focus wagon"? Most definitely. But try to be much more strategic with those purchases or find a cheap trade/reprint to enjoy that material.

As you said, it's all about how much time to put in versus the enjoyment you get out of the hobby. Plus, I like the smaller footprint that a focused collection allows compared to needing an entire room-just easier as you look forward to lugging longboxes around less and less.

As long as you enjoy the collection, that's all that really matters.

-bc

I cycle through a lot but that's part of the enjoyment for me, at least currently .... Buying collections because I want some pieces, and selling or trading the rest to get books I want. I figure if a collection is a good deal, my drek is somebody's grail and vice versa. The rest is just networking, which is fun.

Getting back into the hobby after a long absence, I'm making a huge effort to keep it small and tightly focused. 1 long box of readers and about two short boxes of the nicer Mylite2s and full back board type-collection stuff. I think I have 8 slabs.

At times I've already felt overwhelmed by what I have and the fact that my OCD is taking over. Sometimes I feel, "This isn't fun anymore."

I think being older and a wiser collector helps.

I dunno. I'm probably doomed...

Ok, It's four short boxes. But two of them aren't completely full.

Ok?

Ok?

Give in to the dark side. But just a little bit.

I've the same problem. Some books I just like, and find myself buying when it wasn't part of a pre-set plan. And lot of people here have a lot more than I do, and it's not a space issue ...; the rationalizations/reasons can run on to justify if I decide to start a new run (bought about 6 Planet Comics as my intro to GA good gril stuff).

I've about 10 short boxes that are my core "keeps," then another 4 shorts and maybe 5 long boxes that I'll probably sell over the next five years. And at that point I'll have picked up at least another few shorts worth of books. I've got my slabs down to a manageable box and a half (maybe 40).

Ok?

Give in to the dark side. But just a little bit.

I've the same problem. Some books I just like, and find myself buying when it wasn't part of a pre-set plan. And lot of people here have a lot more than I do, and it's not a space issue ...; the rationalizations/reasons can run on to justify if I decide to start a new run (bought about 6 Planet Comics as my intro to GA good gril stuff).

I've about 10 short boxes that are my core "keeps," then another 4 shorts and maybe 5 long boxes that I'll probably sell over the next five years. And at that point I'll have picked up at least another few shorts worth of books. I've got my slabs down to a manageable box and a half (maybe 40).

Compared to you, I'm doing great! :banana:

I'm run, you're probably key, that's a big difference.

And like you I erred the first time-

I've actually got 14 short boxes as my collection, and five long/2 shorts to sell. D'oh! On the bright side, look at all the titles I divested myself of 10 years ago and haven't repurchased (except I have many keys) TOS, TTA, ST136 & up, Iron Man, Cap, DD, And my bronze is now down to "just" three short boxes of horror and three short heroes.

I got mini-runs.

After selling everything and getting back into it, first thing I've learned is you can't get it all back. Especially runs.

It's just too expensive. I couldn't replace my Avengers run again. I had #3 - #200.

Oh, well. There somewhere and I hope they're loved.

I also had a long break and came back a little over a year ago. For the first 6 months it was unfocused chaos so I accumulated a bunch of nonsense. About June I decided to focus on a Spidey run and have since offloaded everything but my Spideys and various keys. I like having focus on a particular run but I also enjoy hunting for keys. I too am gravitating towards add GA to my collection but looking at specific artists like Schomburg and Cole (really want a contact comics #12). While I'm selling some now, it will most likely end soon and become very infrequent.

I've decided when the GA time comes for me, it's gonna be one book. An Adventures Comic with Sandman, the guy with the sleep gun and gas mask and hat, suite and tie.

Don't ask me how this will happen, but it will.

I'm at the point again in which I'm selling off chunks of my collection to make room for other books or to simply get rid of books I'm no longer interested in. Sometimes I think about how much free time I'd have it I wasn't always cycling through comics to sell.

I don't think it's common to rent books, but I can picture someone buying a book beyond their means, and having to sell it shortly after. It happens, but it's not sensible. What happens more often is someone trying a title or a creator, and selling it off later if it's not to his liking.

I don't believe in "making room." If it's expendable, I don't think you really wanted it in the first place. There's nothing I really wanted that I don't want anymore.

I'm focused as hell...the problem is, my focus tends to change and I end up with a lot of books that don't align with my current focus...and then I have to spend time culling the herd.

There are a lot of books, that if I were to start an AGGIEZ funnybook museum, I would never want displayed, but I can't justify walking away from for $0.50 or $1.00. Over time, that accumulation of books starts to get on my nerves and I get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of books I have in my collection and begin to think "why the hell do I do this?"...then I have a big sales thread and all is right in the world again.

Wash, rinse, repeat...