Mark Jeweler variants in DC Comics
5 5

124 posts in this topic

849 posts
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations and that is awesome that he just sent it to you!

Thanks.  It never occurred to me until recently that you might be able to find a rare variant just by googling the name of that variant and then chasing the lead.   I've had to resort to this tactic as well as others as the number of variants that I'm missing starts to approach zero.  

I now believe that DC did not intentionally skip any issues when it came to placing the Mark Jeweler insert into its mainline titles during the time period that these jeweler inserts were produced (i.e. August 1972 thru mid-July 1986) unless the issue was a square-bound giant, 64-page Dollar Comic, 52-page giant comic, or contained some other insert such as "The Mask" advertisement.  For example, in the run of JLA issues 100 thru 252, the only issue for which I have never seen the jeweler insert is JLA 161.  In the run of Superman issues 255 thru 420, the only issues for which I have never seen the insert are Superman 361 and 413.  I'm pretty sure that I will eventually find the insert in JLA 161, Superman 361 and 413 (it's just a matter of time). 

p.s.  I have competed for some of these jeweler variants on ebay, with the final closing price going very high.  I wish there was some way of connecting with other collectors of these jeweler variants but I've yet to find some way of reaching them other than word of mouth.  I would love to compare notes to see if they found any of the 15 jeweler variants that I have never seen in the 5 titles I collect.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

849 posts
On 6/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

The 15 jeweler variants I've never seen before are Batman 245, 324, 326, 390, JLA 161, Detective 470, 548, 564, Superman 359, 413, Action Comics 516, 524, 533, 579, 581.  If anyone ever finds those issues with jeweler insert, I would sure love to hear about it.  

I'm pretty sure the TEC 564 and the Action 581 do not exist, because I believe they were printed after the last run of jeweler inserts.  I believe that the issues that were released during the last week of that month (such as TEC 564 and Action 581) were not printed with jeweler inserts.

Now down to 14 jeweler variants that I've never seen nor heard of someone having.  Those are Batman 245, 324, 326, 390, JLA 161, Detective 470, 548, 564, Superman 359, 413, Action Comics 524, 533, 579, 581.  If anyone ever finds those issues with jeweler insert, I would sure love to hear about it.  Also getting confident that Detective 564 and Action 581 don't exist, which means I've really found all but 12 of the possible 690 variants.   At this rate, I may find them all within the next 5 to 6 years.

9,190 posts

Didn't find any DC MJs but thought I'd bump this thread up as well. 

Very informative!

849 posts
On 9/14/2020 at 1:39 AM, mrwoogieman said:

Didn't find any DC MJs but thought I'd bump this thread up as well. 

Very informative!

Thanks.   Those DC jeweler variants seem to be few and far between.