• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you ship graded CGC books and keep cost down for buyers?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

Make friends with a local retail store...I suggest someone at a Best Buy. The boxes that headphones, laptops, and DVD/Blu-rays come in are very useful for shipping comics. Find out when they get their trucks in and when would be the best time to collect boxes. Anyone who has bought from me has probably seen some mention of Best Buy on the box since I use them for about 95% of my boxes.

If you are really good friends, you may even be able to get some of that awesome bubble wrap that they use to deliver/receive open box appliances with...

1095 / 1092 box in box combo.  Bubble around the slab and a few packing peanuts thrown in on either side of the outside of the smaller box to act as a space filler and bumper within the big box.  I expect the boxes to be thrown around and I want to protect my buyer's purchase.

Some may think that this is overkill but most are appreciative and impressed as the majority of items sent on eBay seem to be sent in whatever was laying around... that could be a cereal box or a dog biscuit box... 

BTW... I learned to ship this way after reading the boards. 

On 2017-02-15 at 6:48 AM, W16227 said:

so - do NOT skimp on the packaging - one cracked slab can cost you more than a box of bubble-wrap.....

flat rate will always be expensive -

you can order boxes online from USPS for free - they have a large one that is similar in size to the medium box - "1095"

get a postal scale to confirm - but you can ship a slab for the priority 2lb rate for ~ $7....

add in another $2-3 for packaging ( cardboard chippers, bubble wrap)

For the other shipping items ( like bubble wrap) ---- buy in bulk to keep costs down

The advice on the 1095 boxes is the best advice ever!!!!!  Just ordered myself some>

16 hours ago, meeklo said:

Make friends with a local retail store...I suggest someone at a Best Buy. The boxes that headphones, laptops, and DVD/Blu-rays come in are very useful for shipping comics. Find out when they get their trucks in and when would be the best time to collect boxes. Anyone who has bought from me has probably seen some mention of Best Buy on the box since I use them for about 95% of my boxes.

If you are really good friends, you may even be able to get some of that awesome bubble wrap that they use to deliver/receive open box appliances with...

Laptop boxes are great. I can occasionally get them at work. They are usually very sturdy boxes. 

On 2/27/2017 at 9:51 PM, Michelangelo said:

Great info in this thread 

I've been using a regional rate B2 box, usually costs me $8-9 but a bit too spacious 

the M flat rate is too tight with the proper padding and a L flat rate is too $$

i just ordered the 1092 and 1095

I almost always use the regional box B2, with one of the other boxes inside to double box. In most cases, it's the best bet for me because with packing materials (I usually add foam board) I'm usually over 2lbs. The regional boxes are a tiny bit bigger and give you more room for packing materials.

I put the slab in a treasury size bag, then I sandwich it in either two pieces of cardboard (I save these from my purchases) or two pieces of foam board. I tape the slab IN the treasury bag to one piece with regular tape, then packaging tape for the sandwich, bubble wrap the piece, put it in the first box, then I wrap the 2nd box in foam sheets, or thinner bubble wrap. 

Luckily I have had no problems. I'm also lucky that I rarely sell slabs because it takes me forever to pack;) 

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

1095 / 1092 box in box combo.  Bubble around the slab and a few packing peanuts thrown in on either side of the outside of the smaller box to act as a space filler and bumper within the big box.  I expect the boxes to be thrown around and I want to protect my buyer's purchase.

Some may think that this is overkill but most are appreciative and impressed as the majority of items sent on eBay seem to be sent in whatever was laying around... that could be a cereal box or a dog biscuit box... 

BTW... I learned to ship this way after reading the boards. 

+1 Box in box, peanuts at the bottom, wrap the slab so that it can't move in the box, more peanuts on top, seal both boxes. If the slab gets damaged like this, it was either run over by a forklift or it was being used as a football in the warehouse. 

On 2/26/2017 at 7:05 AM, oakman29 said:

Never skimp on shipping. As a buyer I would rather you pack a book as bullet proof as you can get, and charge me to do so. At least I know the book will get to me safely. 

Literally had an eBayer leave feedback saying it was too hard to open his package. :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Chadwick said:

+1 Box in box, peanuts at the bottom, wrap the slab so that it can't move in the box, more peanuts on top, seal both boxes. If the slab gets damaged like this, it was either run over by a forklift or it was being used as a football in the warehouse. 

Literally had an eBayer leave feedback saying it was too hard to open his package. :facepalm:

Well that is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.:eyeroll:

Never, Ever... try to "help" customer save on shipping by getting "cheaper" way to ship if it means sacrificing quality packaging.

You'll learn if not already know, the CGC case does not protect the comic book and the buyer only wants the comic book inside the case.

The case itself is so important not to have any chips or cracks, and the cost of reslabbing is expensive that you'd be foolish to jeopardize risking damages in the name of cost savings.

If your intent is altruistic, then maybe offer "Free Shipping" or subsidize the shipping fees by offering a reduced rate and paying for the balance out of pocket and profits, but don't just use the flimsy USPS cheap cardboard boxes that the CGC case will crack upon any dropping or impact with.  You need bubble wrap and sturdy cardboard.

Well, I just ordered 1092's and 1095's... I had been using the Regional B, with the slab inside two PM bubble wraps with cardboard, plus a Tyvek bag, and bubble wrap around the whole thing.

Only reason I might change from that is to save a little on postage if the buyer is near me.

Question: when shipping a book USPS PM... assuming the book is over $200 or so... do you always buy the insurance? I do, but maybe I'm being a chump. LOL

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Question: when shipping a book USPS PM... assuming the book is over $200 or so... do you always buy the insurance? I do, but maybe I'm being a chump. LOL

Yes, I always buy the insurance if it's that high.  I just sent out a $750 book.  At some point if you're sending out such an expensive book, you want to make sure your bases are covered.  Considering the total added insurance was only $11 (for an additional $700 in insurance), that seems worth it to me.  It's why I never understand why CGC charges a 50% premium for an inferior service.  I sent my package on Saturday via PM, tracking says it's being delivered today.  When CGC ships to me via RM, it takes a week to get to me.  At least give me the option for insured PM.  If the book comes back damaged, then I'll have learned my lesson and revert back to RM next time, but at least let me try it out.

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

When CGC ships to me via RM, it takes a week to get to me.  At least give me the option for insured PM.  If the book comes back damaged, then I'll have learned my lesson and revert back to RM next time, but at least let me try it out.

I always do RM. And I believe the books are insured via RM... for the amount stated as their value on the submission form. .

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, oldrover said:

I don't. 

I've never been able to successfully file an insurance claim with the USPS in the past, so I figured, why waste the money?

I’m also conflicted. I find myself buying insurance less and less...

35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't. 

I've never been able to successfully file an insurance claim with the USPS in the past, so I figured, why waste the money?

THIS is the reason I hesitate. I honestly don’t know what’s required for a claim but I suspect people get screwed over more often than not.

Liz - Care to elaborate on your experiences with filing claims with USPS?

I’ve used registered mail for the really big books in the past. Since there’s more accountability, is that process better than priority mail? (shrug)

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I always do RM. And I believe the books are insured via RM... for the amount stated as their value on the submission form. .

When you ship books to CGC, do you ship RM as well?  I always ship books PM to CGC and the USPS employee always asks if I would like added insurance.  If I recall correctly, the insurance available on RM is huge...far greater than I'll ever need.  Whereas the max insurance on PM is a few thousand.  The argument for RM vs PM has never been an issue about whether or not a product is insured or not.  Instead, I've always heard that RM packages are handled better and that's why CGC uses RM over PM.  But I'm guessing we all ship PM or UPS or FedEx and we aren't using something as complicated as RM unless we're shipping a VERY high value book.

At the end of the day, I would rather my item only have to endure 2 days of traveling than the 7 days bumping around on the road as my book makes its way on the ground and is checked in and out each morning.  Fewer days, fewer hands, less chance of damage in my opinion.  And cheaper to boot.

RM is very slow. However, it’s stored in a locked bag by itself, in a cage after hours. has to be packed a certain way (wrapped in brown paper and taped with brown tape, they stamp everywhere as tamper evidence), and each person that takes possession through the chain of custody has to sign for it. This means each one personally inspects prior to signing, or they could be held liable for damages. I want to say you can insure up to $50K. People ship gold and such this way...but again, it’s slowwwwww and more expensive.

Oh, and I sold a $5k book that went missing for a couple days (shipped registered mail). There was a sense of comfort knowing I covered my butt as much as I could, and the post office was unusually interested in finding the package haha. I’ll never be one of those people videoing the boxing of my items with the postman present though...how awkward that must be with a line of people behind you?!

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Oh, and I sold a $5k book that went missing for a couple days (shipped registered mail). There was a sense of comfort knowing I covered my butt as much as I could, and the post office was unusually interested in finding the package haha. I’ll never be one of those people videoing the boxing of my items with the postman present though...how awkward that must be with a line of people behind you?!

For some odd reason, my RM packages from CGC arrive and then apparently circle the city for 3+ days.  Without fail, every single time I'll see the notification that my package has Departed the main receiving hub for the local Post Office (the last step before Out for Delivery), and then that's the only notification I'll see for days on end.  And I'm just left wondering A) why is my package circling the city, B) has the driver run out of gas yet, C) shouldn't my package have been checked in several times over.

And yes, I've actually video taped my boxings on 3 separate occasions.  I just video tape myself packing off to the side and then the video continues as I walk up and hand it to the postal employee.  So the people in line don't really see me.

8 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I’m also conflicted. I find myself buying insurance less and less...

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I don't. 

THIS is the reason I hesitate. I honestly don’t know what’s required for a claim but I suspect people get screwed over more often than not.

Liz - Care to elaborate on your experiences with filing claims with USPS?

I’ve used registered mail for the really big books in the past. Since there’s more accountability, is that process better than priority mail? (shrug)

They won't pay on poor packaging, which is the case with 95% of you jackwagons.

They won't pay if the package is stolen off the recipient's porch.  This one really ires me, as the jackwagon mentioned, "gawrsh, I've had quite a few of those come up missing, lately...,".  Jackwagon.  If you have problems like that, you should probably mention you live in a high crime area and need special attention - which YOU should pay for, jackwagon.