• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ender said:

:applause:Totally agree that it is a shame that some folks are so against restoring the books or at least preserving them.  I wish that there could be some way to improve the paper quality and make it less brittle so the book doesn't just crumble and have that count as conservation rather than restoration as I don't think it has to actually whiten the pages.  Lets make the comics last as long as we can.  The are certainly not making any more of these books.  Anyway just my unasked for 2c.  

Leaf casting will do that.   But some people adamantly oppose it.  Showed one dealer a unique book once that had brittle pages and they said it should not be restored, but I should expect people to bid less because the paper was doomed to fall apart.   (Said the pages "have cancer.")   To which I replied why let something fall apart?  If an organ has cancer you treat it.   But he seemed to feel that nothing must ever be treated, meaning the brittle book must be allowed to disintegrate, and since it must be allowed to disintegrate it must be priced as if it already has.    To me there should be a middle ground.   Allow paper repairs and note it as such.  Especially when it's done as minimally as possible -- i.e.:  if you do it without filling in art or altering the color so it remains obvious where the original leaves off and the fill-in begins.  

7 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Hi folks   I really appreciate the kind thoughts expressed on the boards to me.   Been reading your  posts for weeks and weeks  Just sitting on the side watching the proceedings. Hope you can understand why I have  had a low profile.  Been a mind boggling couple of months for me.

Not fair when "Lou Fine" opined about my key comicbook possession as well as the reason for same.  Mysterymen 3 Larson copy.  Knowing the day would come, I secured the Church and Larson copies of this book.  Had them for years and years.....He was spot on..It enticed me to "go public".

Talk to you post auction.  

jbcomicbox

:applause:

12 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Hi folks   I really appreciate the kind thoughts expressed on the boards to me.   Been reading your  posts for weeks and weeks  Just sitting on the side watching the proceedings. Hope you can understand why I have  had a low profile.  Been a mind boggling couple of months for me.

Not fair when "Lou Fine" opined about my key comicbook possession as well as the reason for same.  Mysterymen 3 Larson copy.  Knowing the day would come, I secured the Church and Larson copies of this book.  Had them for years and years.....He was spot on..It enticed me to "go public".

jbcomicbox

You are a wise man:) Enjoy watching. 

I'm down from high bidder on about 12 books tonight, to 3, but there is at least one that is going to be mailed here;) I don't often do that stuff, but I'm determined, lol...it's just fun ...and I've admired your collection since I got here;)

Edited by skypinkblu
Typing too fast

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

This auction is the greatest but i feel dumb because i don't know who Jon Berk is ??

i Wikipedia him but he does not have a his own page.

Jon has contributed numerous articles to Comic Book Marketplace, Overstreet Comic Book Quarterly back in the 90s.  He found the real "Lamont Larson", the original owner of the Larson Pedigree Collection.  He was the first president of the American Comic Collectors Society which funded and arranged for a number special programs including bringing artists to San Diego Con to get a chance to be thanked by fans and other creators.

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Jon has contributed numerous articles to Comic Book Marketplace, Overstreet Comic Book Quarterly back in the 90s.  He found the real "Lamont Larson", the original owner of the Larson Pedigree Collection.  He was the first president of the American Comic Collectors Society which funded and arranged for a number special programs including bringing artists to San Diego Con to get a chance to be thanked by fans and other creators.

18 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

jbcomicbox

Can't wait Mr. Berk. Have a question or two about some of my wins from your collection (still Can't believe I just typed that) 

20 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

jbcomicbox

I, like many others here, am proud to be the steward of a handful of books from your fine collection now. Thanks for the opportunity.  :smile:

not as many of jon's centaurs will reside in my collection...I wish I could have gotten all 100 upgrades, but will likely have to settle for 10 both :) and :( at the same time

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

not as many of jon's centaurs will reside in my collection...I wish I could have gotten all 100 upgrades, but will likely have to settle for 10 both :) and :( at the same time

10!  That's the number I made the over/under.  Can't you win just one more so I can collect on the over? :wishluck:

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

10!  That's the number I made the over/under.  Can't you win just one more so I can collect on the over? :wishluck:

number will likely be 12 :)

Just now, Straw-Man said:

9.0 church m. men 1 has finally gone past price for the 9.2 allentown copy.  don't that just make me sad?

Any decent collection should have both the Church and the Allentown copies.  

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

9.0 church m. men 1 has finally gone past price for the 9.2 allentown copy.  don't that just make me sad?

these are the times that try men's souls...

Just now, G.A.tor said:
7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

number will likely be 12 :)

Oh, yeah! Vegas is taking a big hit on this one!:banana: