• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best comic you need that no one else wants?

30 posts in this topic

What's the best comic you need that no one else wants?

I propose a game.

Boardies seem to agree on the top books out there, but I'm wondering if our want lists are unique beyond the consensus favorites.  So the question: what are the books on top of your want list that you don't think anyone else is looking for?  For the purposes of this discussion, I'd rather hear about books you don't own, rather than books you're already accumulating.  Any era is fair game, and it can be as obscure as you like.

I'd start off with All-Star Comics 23, 1st Psycho-Pirate.  Certainly not a title without demand, but All-Stars outside of 3 and 33 seem lukewarm in the market.  Plenty of copies of this guy on eBay with few recent sales, and I don't ever hear anyone talking about how cool the Medusa Masks were.  Anyone in hot pursuit of this one?

All Star Comics #23

(By the way, I'd like to thank MCS for involuntarily hosting the image! :bigsmile:)

DC Special Series.

I'd love to have a slabbed run of this one... it's so wonky, it's great... some issues are reprints, some are all-new anthologies. Some issues are book-length standalone stories, and some connect to other ongoing DC titles. Some are digests, some are treasuries, and some are dollar giants...

There don't seem to be many people looking for these, but they're pure copper awesomeness.

Edited by Brock

Captain America Comics 48

I am still looking for a nice copy of the book but I am putting that on the back burner right now. 

0113c07307493fde66692d3758ab2adf.jpg

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Captain America Comics 48

I am still looking for a nice copy of the book but I am putting that on the back burner right now. 

0113c07307493fde66692d3758ab2adf.jpg

A very New York book, I can see why you like it. I'm no expert but it looks like a pretty accurate depiction of the platform / car for the period.

Edited by Foley
nice Marmot!

1 minute ago, Foley said:

A very New York book, I can see why you like it. I'm no expert but it looks like a pretty accurate depiction of the platform / car for the period.

Not only that, the mayhem is also representative of my morning commute on the L train...

kidding

12 hours ago, Brock said:

DC Special Series.

I'd love to have a slabbed run of this one... it's so wonky, it's great... some issues are reprints, some are all-new anthologies. Some issues are book-length standalone stories, and some connect to other ongoing DC titles. Some are digests, some are treasuries, and some are dollar giants...

There don't seem to be many people looking for these, but they're pure copper awesomeness.

That makes two of us, at least!

I would really be psyched to get a 9.8 copy of RUNE / SILVER SURFER Barry Windsor-Smith cover. 

This one.

4311419-rune_silver+surfer+v1995+%231+-+

I own the original art and would enjoy displaying it next to the 9.8 slab. My 8.5 copy does not quite cut it. Please PM me if you have this or a possible 9.8 raw candidate for sale.

Are we talking about a book you need that no one else apparently wants but that you cannot find? It seems like any book I want I can find but not at a reasonable price. There also seem to be people on ebay who bid on anything they feel is undervalued (or they are simply shills). 

I'd list mine but they are nothing impossible to find-- just outside my current meager budget.

I was in my lcs the other night and this guy pulled a Nexus 21 from First Comics out of the dollar bin, I swear he almost started crying. He was visibly shaking and told me that he'd been looking for that issue for 20 years to complete his run. This thread made me think of him and how that book is still probably propped up on a table somewhere in his house.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Uncanny X-Men 281 silver logo in CGC 9.8 condition.  I can guarantee nobody is looking for this book.

There's a reason for that.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I don't think most people even know it exists.

There's a reason for that, too.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/291744-i-wanna-start-chasing-marvel-2nd-prints/?page=13#comment-7937283

About 2 or 3 years ago I decided I wanted a 9.4 slab of GI Joe #24. This book has just always been a  favorite of mine. I was really surprised to find that it could not be found. I could find a raw copy or so but the number of slabs on the census is low and the # of copies for sale even lower. The only slab I found was a 9.8 in all that time but it disappeared before I could buy it, although it was above the grade I was looking for.

wso2tu.jpg

Nothing special or really valuable about this issue. So why you might ask? Because snow and ninja's! I did recently buy a copy and I have been trying to find the time to post it. The copy I bought is a raw and it is signed with a COA. So I still never once saw the book for a sale in that grade.

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Are we talking about a book you need that no one else apparently wants but that you cannot find? It seems like any book I want I can find but not at a reasonable price. There also seem to be people on ebay who bid on anything they feel is undervalued (or they are simply shills). 

I'd list mine but they are nothing impossible to find-- just outside my current meager budget.

Doesn't have to be rare.  The only criteria is you want it, and you don't think anyone else does.

I have another... Captain Marvel Adventures 90.  #1 on my want list by far.  Trying to build a run, and that's my favorite cover in the series.  I just haven't found a copy in my price range with the defects I accept.

Cover for Captain Marvel Adventures (Fawcett, 1941 series) #90 

Edited by FineCollector
Picture added

3 hours ago, Donatello said:

I was in my lcs the other night and this guy pulled a Nexus 21 from First Comics out of the dollar bin, I swear he almost started crying. He was visibly shaking and told me that he'd been looking for that issue for 20 years to complete his run. This thread made me think of him and how that book is still probably propped up on a table somewhere in his house.

??? he never heard of ebay?

DH_37_GS_zpso4tgby1c.jpg

I'm going for a full run of CGC 9.8's, obviously no one else is.  This is a worthless comic (although cool venom cover) with a black cover on poor quality paper and a low print run that nobody saved or protected or collected at the time, and no one but me will ever want a slab of it.  I don't have all the DH's yet, but I have no doubt this will be my white whale.

If anyone has any high grade copies, I'll make it worth your while for a CGC 9.8....

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Dead@17 1-6 Viper has always been a book that I enjoy, but nobody wants them.

Always wanted to read this series. Looks interesting, just never got around to checking it out.