• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

The biggest thing I saw was that they started pandering to their social media fanbase, not realizing that this same base "reads" their comics via free websites or just looks at pages posted by artists and then pontificate on characters they know very little about.  When they started to follow what these folks were calling for they discovered they don't actually buy anything, and those of you who have been sticking around for years through storylines up and down decided to jump ship.

Politics should not enter into entertainment and neither should preaching agenda's of either the right or the left.  Just make good damn comics and keep them on a regular schedule.  Deliver what you promise and avoid gimmicks like variant covers and reboots.

It appears that Marvel has made the same mistake that the city newspapers have,

About 20 years ago, almost all newspapers took the calculated gamble that they could increase their customer base by constantly reporting on, and siding with, the politically correct issues of our times.

What they failed to realize is that this one-sided way  of reporting  did not draw in any new readership, in fact it did just the opposite.... it alienated their existing core customer base who cancelled their subscriptions when they slowly began to realize they were no longer getting both sides of a story, they were instead getting  force fed, one sided, agenda driven, created news.

I think the comment above about Marvel being where DC was in the late 70s is pretty close. Although I think Marvel is much worse off due to how they approached the problem. Short of higher huge talent again and paying for it they better start looking for fresh new talent and change the direction of the company as a whole.

4 hours ago, Doktor said:

I'm still waiting for Franklin Richards to have a full-on "Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower" where he wakes up from a fever dream & we find out that everything since about 3 weeks before Civil War 1 was Franklin having a nightmare.

Considering that he’s powerful enough to alter reality and create pocket or ‘what if?’ universes, that's chillingly feasible. 

6 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Saw this posted on Imgur and thought it was relevant to the thread.

It looks like they airbrushed out her middle finger...,. :whistle:

7 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Marvel lost my patronage when they cancelled the FF.

Sales have been propped up by gimmicks for a long while all in an attempt to retain a readership that is not renewing itself. For every fifty year old that quits buying there is no ten year old to take their place.

Actually FF was so bad towards the end Marvel almost gained my eternal loyalty when they cancelled FF

Sales have been propped up by gimmicks for a long while all in an attempt to retain a readership that is not renewing itself. For every fifty year old that quits buying there is no ten year old to take their place.

Actually FF was so bad towards the end Marvel almost gained my eternal loyalty when they cancelled FF 

Marvel: stop the denial-we want any characters you come up with as long as the stories are good.  that's it.  Just having a female character does not automatically make a story good you imbeciles.  You are to blame-not us.