• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just read....
1 1

105 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Before Zenith I read Moebius / Jean Giraud's Lieutenant Blueberry graphic novels.

Good stories, and I particularly like the gritty, more realistic art style which this comics genius uses here, very different to his science-fiction / fantasy work.   Great western material.

Two-Gun Mojo was good.  Lansdale and Truman, IIRC?

Correct! I read a couple pages and it reminded me of the dialogue in "Jeremiah Johnson," one of my favorite movies. I was hooked.

I just finished the complete Adventures of Dieter Lumpen put out by IDW - http://euro.idwpublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Dieter_Lumpen.jpg

Many wonderful panels I got lost looking at. Not surprised the artist was tapped to take over the Corto Maltese franchise. Story-wise, the shorts are somewhat rough. The long stories a little better but still not quite fully realized.

42 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Not surprised the artist was tapped to take over the Corto Maltese franchise. 

I've just had a look at some of the art from the book and I could see that working well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've just had a look at some of the art from the book and I could see that working well.

Reading the book, I saw his art as midway between Toth and Canniff, though a little more tilted to Canniff.

I've been reading the New 52 Batman stuff via trades lately (based on all the good stuff I heard).   It actually started off, for me, as just alright.   Standard Batman stories.  I thought it really picked up with the Zero Year storyline, which I thought has been the best of the bunch by a mile.   The Endgame arc was pretty decent.   I'm now into the 7th trade where Bruce basically has amnesia (don't want to give away the "plot") and it's interesting as well.  Fairly strong run of books although not quite as "great" as I was led to believe.  

5 hours ago, HarveySwick said:

Essex County 

I loved it. Jeff Lemire is quickly becoming one of my favorites. 

Same here.  I just finished reading Book 2 of After Death and loved it.  Read #1 of Royal City, a series which has very interesting potential.  Just read the latest issue of Descender--I love Driller.  And #7 of Black Hammer is waiting right here beside me for my next work break!

4 minutes ago, YeahKinda said:

Great writer, terrible artist.

Are you another TA or the same one?  :whistle:

36 minutes ago, YeahKinda said:
46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Are you another TA or the same one?  :whistle:

I'm King Shill beyotch.

:roflmao:

I just read Fantasy Masterpieces 1-10 (minus 7 & 9 -they are in another box).  Great stuff, a mix of the best of Kirby/Ditko/Heck pre-hero stories and the GA Timely heroes.
It was in these issues it was revealed to me that the Marvel heroes  I was reading actually had roots in the 1940's and didn't begin whole cloth in the 1960's.
That revelation blew me away as a kid and opened whole new doors in my comic reading/collecting.  
I started paying attention to the letters of comment that mentioned things like 'Timely comics' and 'EC comics' and began to understand what they were talking about.

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I just read Fantasy Masterpieces 1-10 (minus 7 & 9 -they are in another box).  Great stuff, a mix of the best of Kirby/Ditko/Heck pre-hero stories and the GA Timely heroes.
It was in these issues it was revealed to me that the Marvel heroes  I was reading actually had roots in the 1940's and didn't begin whole cloth in the 1960's.
That revelation blew me away as a kid and opened whole new doors in my comic reading/collecting.  
I started paying attention to the letters of comment that mentioned things like 'Timely comics' and 'EC comics' and began to understand what they were talking about.

I never read those as a kid, but instead was introduced to Golden Age stories via the DC 100 pagers.

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Almost ashamed to admit I'd never read this before, but I finished the first 10 issues of Swamp Thing by Wein and Wrightson. It was worth the wait ?

Definitely.

Classic Bronze Age, by a brilliant artist perfectly matched to the storylines.  :smile: