• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Graphic Novels for a kids introduction...

17 posts in this topic

Best Graphic Novels for a kids introduction...

I was wondering about this. I had a buddy at work that knew I was into comics ask me this question.

His kid is seven and I wanted to get him into some TPB's that were good for introduction to Marvel and DC's gamut of main characters.

For my own kid, I just let him borrow my masterworks and readers of any BA DC's that he wanted to read.

I just didn't know if there was a one stop shop like the Marvel Tales 1 and 2 in TPB? Being budget conscience is a plus too.

Man I would get him a GN collecting Silver Age because that is when comics were written for kids (altho adults could enjoy them).   I cant find it on ebay but I have a Legion hardcover collection featuring swan art with jim shooter stories.  something like this would be easier to find in comic shop.

Marvel Firsts trade paperbacks, each volume covering first appearances from a specific decade, 60s through to 90s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Marvel Firsts trade paperbacks, each volume covering first appearances from a specific decade, 60s through to 90s.

Wow this was exactly what I was looking for! I wonder if there is anything like this for DC?

1 hour ago, Wally's Comics said:

Wow this was exactly what I was looking for! I wonder if there is anything like this for DC?

This is pretty good.  386 pages:

91LvVQP8P4L.jpg

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

There's the DC Universe Secret Origins trade paperback.

Awesome, thanks again!

I was weighing this book vs the other I found (from 1976 that was a fireside as someone else suggested)

"Secret Origins of the Super DC Heroes comics" has anyone had this one? I didn't know which one was more conclusive.

At the LCS today, I saw what was labled "vintage graphic novels". They were the size of maybe a post card, but they were thick like a book. I had never seen such a thing :) 

They had vintage graphic novels containing: classic silver age spiderman, superman, and even new stuff like a 90's character I think but can't recall the name of that one.... Any of those gradable, collectible, desired? The price's weren't too bad any where from $5-20

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I remember being incredibly excited when these came out when I was a kid... and they still hold fond memories for me today.  As mentioned above, at least from the Marvel side, these would be the two books I would target.
origins.thumb.jpg.54c54b8ab7e784dd94587a6b538232d5.jpgsonsorigins.jpg.3b27d15f23b9acc0746fe7aa62fa83cd.jpg

5 hours ago, CKB said:

You want the Collected Edition of Spidey Super stories for a 7 year old.

Hopefully containing the classic Thanos Copter issue.:wishluck: