• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Store employee / owner dies after robbery
1 1

59 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

That's a good idea!

Such hostility from a total stranger!  But given your stance on the events in this thread, that should come as no surprise to me, right?

Just now, Lego said:

Such hostility from a total stranger!  But given your stance on the events in this thread, that should come as no surprise to me, right?

What hostility?

3 hours ago, Lego said:

Indeed.  

Please, carry on with your trolling.  Turn this place into a Facebook thread.  

Ahhhhh......

Now I see the hostility.

3 hours ago, greggy said:

Take this outside, girls

xoxo

greggy

Only if you agree to put on your King Kong costume and climb your TV antennae again.

Condolences to the Cavanaugh family and friends :frown:

I'm not second guessing why Jim Cavanaugh did what he did, I wasn't there and don't have all the facts.  I'm also not excusing what the alleged thief did, I despise thieves.  This is a tragic and sad event all around.  One person is dead and at least one person is going to face some sort of robbery charge and likely a manslaughter charge, perhaps murder, over $20.  Next will come the civil lawsuits and the rest of the ugliness.

In a lot of states if you steal something and employ any force during an act of theft, it becomes robbery instead of a simple shoplifting or theft charge.  An act of recklessness resulting in death can turn that into a manslaughter or murder charge very quickly, and worse if the state has mitigating factors where death results from a criminal act - which is most states.

Guy threatening you with a knife?  Probably a shooting event.

Guy breaking in your house in the middle of the night?  Probably a shooting event.

Guy seriously harming your family?  Probably a shooting event.

Guy walking into your business and stealing $20 in merchandise?

For you brick and mortar store owners - let it walk out and call the police.  I've seen people get seriously hurt trying to take action and you simply never know who you're dealing with or what might be coming your way.

If you're carrying a firearm for self defense, be sure you do more than the minimum to get a conceal carry permit.  Go the extra distance and take additional defensive shooting classes and get educated on the law (criminal and civil) surrounding liability and your rights.  Know what you limits are  and have a realistic outlook on your shooting skills.

Looks like you don't need a permit in Missouri, but do yourself a favor and get some proper training so you can make the right decision if you ever have to pull that trigger.

When you pull a firearm on someone, you're either 100% right or 100% wrong.  Missouri has a stand your ground law, but that doesn't mean you have to place yourself in a bad situation simply because it is legally permissible.  You might smoke a bad guy and have your buddies patting you on the back, but even if you're in the right you had better be prepared to lay out $50K or more to defend yourself in a wrongful death lawsuit, and more importantly prepared for the metal and emotional toll taking a life will likely bring.  Worse yet, you find yourself charged with murder.

9-1-1 left them on hold?  WTF??  Their call-in system must be pretty bad for this to have happened.  Guaranteed lawsuit.

I hope they find the thief and charge him.  He set the wheels in motion and needs to answer for it.

My LCS owner posted that he once new the person who passed. He bought him out when my LCS was expanding. Prayers go out to all those affected with such loss :( 

Are those Suzukis that plentiful?  I don't see many of them around here.

I'm astonished that the culprit hasn't been caught-description, video of car with front end damage, news stories, possible fingerprints on door, and Nothing.

On 5/17/2017 at 6:24 PM, lizards2 said:

Are those Suzukis that plentiful?  I don't see many of them around here.

That looks like the Suzuki SX4 hatchback. Suzuki doesn't sell new cars in the U.S. anymore but when they did, this was the cheapest new car you could buy. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of these in lower income areas of Kansas City. Sort of like the Geo Metros of yesteryear.