• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

I am not a fan of SS books, but I don't want to begrudge anyone for seeking them out. I do have signed books from my favorite artists, and even one SS book I bought from a dearly departed board member.

To me, it kinda takes away from the special feeling of finally meeting your favorite creator.  

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

IMG_2853.JPG

Yup, this really does  illustrate the problem. Despite his ideology, when it was down to his signature he was all about the money.  His bodyguards weren't just there to keep the lines moving along, but would also detain anyone who tried to avoid paying him his fees, in order to begin the process of sending the cheapskate to an icy, Siberian gulag work camp.

Of course, now we're much more liberal and no such deterrent exists to prevent signing fee misbehaviour at conventions, other than some ineffectual, verbal criticism on message boards.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

It's an extra $10 for the SS slab.  So CGC is making $10 for witnessing the signature since the stabbing process is the same unless yellow ink cost more.

Plus they make money slabbing books that otherwise wouldn't be submitted for slabbing.  As they should, of course, offering the service.

Creators should sign these comic books for free to show their appreciation to the fans who have supported them thru all the years. 

I never got why these comic artists/writers charged their loyal fans for an autograph. These creators should give back to the fans who still care about them to go see them by lining up in a line for hours.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Creators should sign these comic books for free to show their appreciation to the fans who have supported them thru all the years. 

I never got why these comic artists/writers charged their loyal fans for an autograph. These creators should give back to the fans who still care about them to go see them by lining up in a line for hours.

Starlin has signed for free for many many years. He is only charging (or was very briefly charging) for sigs on CGC SS books. He was always happy to sign as many books as I put in front of him. (Yes, I was once that guy but I always offered to get back in line a few times. Although I could hear people groan behind me as the creators would say, "good idea, 10 sigs and then back in line if you want more.")  Walt Simonson signed a stack for me, a huge stack, at a NYC LCS back in the day.

Edited by Bird
forgot to close my parentheses

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

Starlin has signed for free for many many years. He is only charging (or was very briefly charging) for sigs on CGC SS books. He was always happy to sign as many books as I put in front of him. (Yes, I was once that guy but I always offered to get back in line a few times. Although I could hear people groan behind me as the creators would say, "good idea, 10 sigs and then back in line if you want more." Walt Simonson signed a stack for me, a huge stack, at a NYC LCS back in the day.

It really wasn't aimed at Starlin, but the rest of the industry.

When I see  comic artists/writers charging their loyal fans for thier autograph it doesn't seem right.

They should give thier autographs for free to show thier appreacition to their loyal fans who appreciated them over the many years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

When I see  comic artists/writers charging their loyal fans for thier autograph it doesn't seem right.

They should give thier autographs for free to show thier appreacition to their loyal fans who appreciated over the many years.

Fair enough, sorry I misunderstood. And I agree with you. Will Eisner signed a few books for me, and man did he seem unhappy when he saw it was 4 or 5 books instead on 1. But I had Cerebus Jam (two maybe?), Spirit, the book COMIC BOOK REBELS and wanted a sig on each as they were all so different.

2 hours ago, A-DONIS said:

Completely uneducated about how CGC and the Signature Series program works.  No one at CGC is making a dime off Starlin signed books.  

I think how CGC works would be the last thing on Jim Starlin's mind. Further, this is not about Starlin vs CGC. He was just happy to sign books for fee until fellow artists urged him to charge due to rampant flipping. Starlin gave it a shot and he didn't get his money - he got upset. Now, he doesn't want anything to do with CGC, which makes signed comics cost a premium in the secondary market. How hard is that to understand?

30 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They should give thier autographs for free to show thier appreacition to their loyal fans who appreciated them over the many years.

It would be nice if they did, but I don't think anyone should give something for free.  It's up to them whether to be generous or not.

14 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

It would be nice if they did, but I don't think anyone should give something for free.  It's up to them whether to be generous or not.

An autograph isn't work.  They should reward their fans with one for all the hard-earned cash over the years these artists/writers made from the fans.

A simple autograph as a thank you would be a nice way to show appreciation to their loyal fans.

Remember, the comic book sales are way down, and it is not like these artists/writers are in big demand anymore. They should appreciate they still have some following, instead of gouge them.

Some of these artists/writers are quite wealthy. It doesn't look right for them to be charging thier fans for autographs. I think this practice  will be looked at as lame and petty by future generations.

I've never sold one of my signed raw books, and so it is irritating when creators you've admired for decades start charging nosebleed prices for signatures which I doubt I'd ever consider selling, and so now wouldn't even bother purchasing from them in the first place.  Then again, it is understandably cautious, because how can they be sure who's putting on an act and who's genuine?  Adam Hughes is a classic case there. 

Spoils the experience for those of us who really care about comics, knowing that's one reason we're penalised.

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

An autograph isn't work.  They should reward their fans with one for all the hard-earned cash over the years these artists/writers made from the fans.

A simple autograph as a thank you would be a nice way to show appreciation to their loyal fans.

Remember, the comic book sales are way down, and it is not like these artists/writers are in big demand anymore. They should appreciate they still have some following, instead of gouge them.

Some of these artists/writers are quite wealthy. It doesn't look right for them to be charging thier fans for autographs. I think this practice  will be looked at as lame and petty by future generations.

Anyone who creates anything should be free to monetize their signature or any other thing they want to sell and that people want to buy. Let them decide what 'rewards' they should bestow upon their fans.