• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LEGION Love

30 posts in this topic

LEGION Love

Anyone collect the LEGION OF SUPERHEROES? I am collecting the silver age copies (I am saving up for a copy of 247) but getting them in high grade is tough! Not expensive compared to other books but hard to find! I have never seen a raw copy of ADVENTURE 300 in 9.2 or above and I've been collecting for 30 years. However, they seemed to have almost disappeared in the bronze age and then BAM they re-appear at the tail end and into the copper age.

I've lost track of them since the mid-1990s. Are they still doing LEGION comics? Anyone remember the Keith Giffen years?

I just got a collection of high grade copper age Legion and started reading them again and man they are really awesome. I had forgotten how good they were. I am surprised they never caught on like X-MEN or TEEN TITANS.

15 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

LEGION Love

Anyone collect the LEGION OF SUPERHEROES? I am collecting the silver age copies (I am saving up for a copy of 247) but getting them in high grade is tough! Not expensive compared to other books but hard to find! I have never seen a raw copy of ADVENTURE 300 in 9.2 or above and I've been collecting for 30 years. However, they seemed to have almost disappeared in the bronze age and then BAM they re-appear at the tail end and into the copper age.

I've lost track of them since the mid-1990s. Are they still doing LEGION comics? Anyone remember the Keith Giffen years?

I just got a collection of high grade copper age Legion and started reading them again and man they are really awesome. I had forgotten how good they were. I am surprised they never caught on like X-MEN or TEEN TITANS.

They were pretty popular during the Giffen run, when DC rewarded them and the New Teen Titans with the higher end baxter paper series. Once Giffen left the book started to fizzle out.  My favorite era was the Cockrum / Grell run, but Giffen really pumped some life into the characters for about a year or two.

Edited by boomtown

I was born in 1956 and loved the mid 60's Legion. All my hard earned allowance went to DC comics and I never missed an Adventure. As a retired adult with money to spend. I am recollecting the issues that stood out in my mind. I was fascinated by COMPUTO and chuckle whenever my glance catches the Adventure #340 in 9.8. Poor Triplicate Girl!!! Last month I picked up a beautiful #247, only to find it had slight color touch. CCS estimated a Universal grade of 5.5 after restoration removal. I can't wait. I also Loved Adventure #300--I have a White pages 5.5 and an OW/W 8.0, as well as all the beat up ones I read as a pre-teen. I would love to see a TV series on the Legion!

Huge fan of the copper LoSH stuff, including the entire Volume 2 Giffen run, and I'm also one of the few who loves the TMK/5YL stuff above all of the rest! Also a big fan of the reboot Legion/nnaires titles drawn by the Moys. Such great stuff, all of it, and the bonus is that most of it can still be found in 25 and 50 cent boxes.

HUGE fan of the Bates/Cockrum run, Wildfire was my favorite character growing up, he was just so different looking, but they were all so cleverly designed. I loved LOSH more than X-Men at the time. Easily

Some of the most memorable books for me growing up

15 hours ago, Larry Snyder said:

I was born in 1956 and loved the mid 60's Legion. All my hard earned allowance went to DC comics and I never missed an Adventure. As a retired adult with money to spend. I am recollecting the issues that stood out in my mind. I was fascinated by COMPUTO and chuckle whenever my glance catches the Adventure #340 in 9.8. Poor Triplicate Girl!!! Last month I picked up a beautiful #247, only to find it had slight color touch. CCS estimated a Universal grade of 5.5 after restoration removal. I can't wait. I also Loved Adventure #300--I have a White pages 5.5 and an OW/W 8.0, as well as all the beat up ones I read as a pre-teen. I would love to see a TV series on the Legion!

I too loved the silver age LEGION. They were fun and silly but not to the point of stupid. Lots of potential and 1st appearances. I am looking for a nice copy of SUPERBOY #89 (Mon-el) and SUPERBOY #98.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Dogsupreme said:

LEGION Love

I've always enjoyed reading Legion.

It was my own personal opinion they never caught on as much as Teen Titans or X-Men because this super team of heroes existed in the future...away from the present DC universe.

Favorite story by far was their team up with Star Trek. If anyone reading this likes both...pick it up for a great read.

Why couldn't DC move the LEGION to modern times? I could see a retconning  where they become stranded in the past and have to adapt to our primitive world. Maybe some time warp or experiment goes wrong. We could see new versions of LEGION villains and perhaps they bring back some 30th century virus or create a genetic modification to create modern versions of the LEGION. Then they could be on par with the JUSTICE LEAGUE or THE TEEN TITANS.

IIRC there was at least one storyline during the Moy years where there was a group of LoSH "trapped" in present day. It can be done, for sure.

43 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

What issues were those?

Well, it's been a long time since I read them, but I think it was around the issues in the 80's or 90's issue range of V4, because I DO remember that they returned to the 30th Century in a big, giant-sized 100 page issue 100. It was shortly thereafter that Abnett/Lanning/Coipel did the Legion of the Damned story, which lead to Legion Lost, and etc.

Edited by F For Fake

5 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Why couldn't DC move the LEGION to modern times? I could see a retconning  where they become stranded in the past and have to adapt to our primitive world. Maybe some time warp or experiment goes wrong. We could see new versions of LEGION villains and perhaps they bring back some 30th century virus or create a genetic modification to create modern versions of the LEGION. Then they could be on par with the JUSTICE LEAGUE or THE TEEN TITANS.

I don't think LSH in the modern era works, unless they are not Earth-based. There was, of course the L.E.G.I.O.N. series in the 90's which is kind of that. There was also the New 52 Legion Lost, which was pretty bad. Maybe they could do a Guardians of the Galaxy angle on it... but ultimately, the distant-future setting, and the massive scope, are key elements of why The Legion is interesting. It's hard to know when or if the LSH can be rebooted successfully, because the whole concept of the LSH seems antithetical to the self-contained 6-issue arcs and decompressed storytelling that have dominated comics for the last 15 years.

I have pretty much put together a high grade run of the Copper Superboy and LSH books. (I had many of these as a kid, and read them to oblivion.) It is a fun run to collect, with great art (Grell, Broderrick, Giffen, et al), and it's pretty easy to find most of them.

I've expanded into collecting the Adventure Comics appearances. These are *tough* to find in VF and above! But they're great books. I've had some success funding them on ComicConnect, eBay, and from sellers on these boards.

What creators would you want to see on a new Legion book?

Edited by adampasz

Timber Wolf also had a mini-series set in the 20th century, and I'm pretty sure the entire Valor (aka Mon El) series was "present day", wasn't it?

And finally, after doing some research, it looks like the 20th century storyline started in LoSH v4 #85, again, running through 100. 

As much as I love the Grell, Giffen, TMk etc eras, there is also really something special about the Reboot LoSH. So bright, colorful, and fun. Loved those books. Hopefully they'll get their due one day.

8 minutes ago, adampasz said:

I don't think LSH in the modern era works, unless they are not Earth-based. There was, of course the L.E.G.I.O.N. series in the 90's which is kind of that. There was also the New 52 Legion Lost, which was pretty bad. Maybe they could do a Guardians of the Galaxy angle on it... but ultimately, the distant-future setting, and the massive scope, are key elements of why The Legion is interesting. It's hard to know when or if the LSH can be rebooted successfully, because the whole concept of the LSH seems antithetical to the self-contained 6-issue arcs and decompressed storytelling that have dominated comics for the last 15 years.

I have pretty much put together a high grade run of the Copper Superboy and LSH books. (I had many of these as a kid, and read them to oblivion.) It is a fun run to collect, with great art (Grell, Broderrick, Giffen, et al), and it's pretty easy to find most of them.

I've expanded into collecting the Adventure Comics appearances. These *tough* to find in VF and above! But they're great books. I've had some success funding them on ComicConnect, eBay, and from sellers on these boards.

What creators would you want to see on a new Legion book?

I agree somewhat. The whole "inspired by Superboy" doesn't seem to work now since Superboy (the silver age version) no longer really exists so cannot be instrumental in creating the original LEGION. The GUARDIANS angle would probably work for LEGION. A group of intersteller superheroes. But then we have the GREEN LANTERN Corps for that. LEGION would have to be entirely different IMO.

I would love to see JIM STARLIN take a crack at it. Perhaps Paul Pope or Terry Moore.

Edited by Dogsupreme

Just now, Dogsupreme said:

I agree somewhat. The whole "inspired by Superboy" doesn't seem to work know since Superboy (the silver age version) no longer really exists so cannot be instrumental in creating the original LEGION. The GUARDIANS angle would probably work for LEGION. A group of intersteller superheroes. But then we have the GREEN LANTERN Corps for that. LEGION would have to be entirely different IMO.

I would love to see JIM STARLIN take a crack at it. Perhaps Paul Pope or Terry Moore.

Dude, Paul Pope LoSH? I would be ALL OVER that.