House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
7 7

197 posts in this topic

3,689 posts
2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I did. I didn't WANT to, though. I think the prices are bloated and owners are getting on the greed train. Since I have a high grade run of ST 1-10, having HOS #92 makes it complete. I really wish I had kept my 9.0, but someone else is either enjoying it or HOSing (See where I went there?) another prospective buyer/collector. As i mentioned before, someone bought a 9.4 recently for $2k and is now asking $6k. That is greed in my book. I offered $3k and was turned down flat.

I remember that 9.4 sale on the Link.  It must have sold in less than 10 minutes.  I remember seeing it and emailing a friend to see if he had snagged it at that very attractive price.  3 grand is more in line with a 9.2 (or a very nice 8.5 old label) which just sold in CC's last auction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
464 posts
11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Wow!  I actually made a good purchase finally. After 30 years out of the hobby got back in about a year ago.  Went to Stan lee 2016 comic con in Los Angeles and bought an 8.0 WP for $800.  

Maybe I could flip it now for 7 grand or something. 

I'll give you $850! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,744 posts
Just now, Randall Ries said:

I'll give you $850! LOL!

No. I love it. Then scored a volume 1 run and volume 2 run from PickyCollector. His books are no joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
464 posts
10 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I remember that 9.4 sale on the Link.  It must have sold in less than 10 minutes.  I remember seeing it and emailing a friend to see if he had snagged it at that very attractive price.  3 grand is more in line with a 9.2 (or a very nice 8.5 old label) which just sold in CC's last auction.  

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,937 posts
12 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

(tsk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,744 posts
29 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

Flip it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,689 posts
33 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, prices started getting out of control after Wrightson inconsiderately passed away. Same with the higher grade ST issues. And now Len Wein is dead. My 7.5 should be worth a cool half mill by the end of the year.

I kick myself for not picking up a copy in the past 8 years.  If I didn't bite the bullet a month ago, I'd never get a nice copy with the way it is moving up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,784 posts
56 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Wow!  I actually made a good purchase finally. After 30 years out of the hobby got back in about a year ago.  Went to Stan lee 2016 comic con in Los Angeles and bought an 8.0 WP for $800.  

Maybe I could flip it now for 7 grand or something. 

I am happy for you though either way, it's nice when your rewarded by things we love. Most of my books are long term for the PC, but I saw an HOS vg copy at Half Price Books 2 years ago for minimal $$ as I was just getting back to collecting, i didn't realize what it was. Went home to look it up, went back to purchase, and it was gone. So whatever you decide, I admire the info and inclination to pick it up in the first place. :shy:^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,465 posts
2 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I kick myself for not picking up a copy in the past 8 years.  If I didn't bite the bullet a month ago, I'd never get a nice copy with the way it is moving up. 

 

I decided the same thing a year and half ago about AF15, and last month gave away my only copy of HOS92 as a prize in Andy's green eggs grading contest (missing half the splash page and major razor cut on a copy that otherwise looked VG+).  Fought the urge to give into the mania, and just switched hunt for any of several other things that don't present the same possible downside risk.  There's so much great stuff out ther, imo, could see splurging on a copy of Startling 49 or something with that kind of mad money, though my only GA is a few Planets atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,689 posts
1 hour ago, grebal said:

I decided the same thing a year and half ago about AF15, and last month gave away my only copy of HOS92 as a prize in Andy's green eggs grading contest (missing half the splash page and major razor cut on a copy that otherwise looked VG+).  Fought the urge to give into the mania, and just switched hunt for any of several other things that don't present the same possible downside risk.  There's so much great stuff out ther, imo, could see splurging on a copy of Startling 49 or something with that kind of mad money, though my only GA is a few Planets atm.

I hear you.  For the past 7 years I've concentrated on Adams books and a few PCH books.  I had a few of Wrightson's sweet covers from the Swamp Thing run, but never the "biggie".  If I didn't pounce on my perfect copy when it became available, I'd never get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,465 posts

Right, Wrightson is awesome and I have all his early Marvel horror including where he drew himself into the book.  Maybe a 9.4+ Hulk 197 isn't insanely priced,  cool cover for Wrightson.  And I think I have all of Adams' marvel work and Bat 227 and the complete Deadman in SA, so I hear you on that too.  And my other dipping the toe into pre-silver age, in past year I picked up a sampling of what I think's included in PCH: Haunt Fear 16, Two Fisted 41 and (probably not) Weird Sci and Sci-Fi.

Edited by grebal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,151 posts

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

 

gpa.jpg

Edited by october

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,744 posts
1 hour ago, october said:

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

 

gpa.jpg

^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,751 posts
3 hours ago, october said:

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

 

gpa.jpg

(worship)  WOW!!!! Always a thrill to set GPA record lows with your purchases...sadly I've set more as a seller! :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
464 posts

Anyhoo, I will just hang onto my 7.5. It should be here tomorrow. Some books you just don't part with. I won't make that mistake again.xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
464 posts

Here is one that Metro is selling. $1600.00. Beyond the corner fold, it looks 9.0 or better. I called about the line going horizontally across the front. Thought it was a scanner error. Not. It's a printing error. Never seen that on another copy.

hou2.1891a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46,482 posts
11 hours ago, october said:

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

 

gpa.jpg

Score. (worship)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320 posts
15 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Calm yourself. I am not happy Wrightson died. So sensitive.

 

More like you're being insensitive, and you got rightfully called on it. Don't be an arschloch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,839 posts
21 hours ago, october said:

BINed a slabbed 9.0 off eBay six months ago for $650 less than a minute after it was listed. Stared at the price for 10 seconds and figured it was a scam, but bought it anyway. It showed up!

Not sure what the seller was thinking, but pretty easy to pick out my purchase on GPA.

 

gpa.jpg

Nice to be the outlier on the right side of a transaction! lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7