• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, Aweandlorder said:

And right?

I didn't get this joke back in September and was confused.

Today I was thinking that I had so many misses in this collection! I love going through it and looking at stuff that I have never seen before but there are so many condition issues on some great comics. The Silver Surfer run was sad (pretty decent 4 though). Submariner. The worst was the early Doc Strange Tales, some of which were stuck together.

But today's post was inspired by the talk in the original comic art section of these boards about the OA for the cover of ASM 100.

Here is the ASM 100 I got in this collection. (So not really a complaint but more a What If...?)

DTsmEL9WkAQPB6r.jpg

I was immediately psyched and thought about a nice pressing service! Then I took it out and flipped it over.

DTsmEMSX4AAbBrF.jpg

And look inside!

DTsmEL-X4AECCBI.jpg

So yeah. 

In other news I have sold another 4 short boxes on ebay in the last month or two. I have been using the winter to consolidate what I have bagged and organized already and dump as much on ebay as possible. Then I can work in the Spring in the laundry room where I can spread out more and fill those empty boxes! I am hoping to do another local convention in the spring or summer and finish selling the books next year. It has been about 7 months since I bought the first books in this collection so I hope to move it all by fall of this year (minus what I am keeping, which is about two short boxes so far and I haven't gone through a lot of the good stuff like Star Wars, New Mutants, Defenders, and both X-Men and Avengers 1-90 or so. Even stuff like Spectacular Spidey, Web of Spidey, Marvel Age.). So although I thought it might take a decade to sell 40000 books since it was only about 9500 books I hope to do it this year for sure.

I have let my CGC subscription lapse for a bit while I plot my next submissions. I think that I am going to sub 10-20 moderns in a month or three and sell a few then use those proceeds to start pressing/slabbing the bigger books. The X-Men 1 and Avengers 1 are both in rough shape, as are many others, but I am waiting to address those as I want to avoid any temptation to sell them until I am closer to finishing liquidation. In general most of the copper books are 6.0-8.0 with moderns having no limit (hit 9.8 on the ASM 361 and sold that bad boy at a good time). 

So that is a bit of where I am at, if anyone is interested. :sumo:

(People ate up cheap Iron Man. That surprised me.)

On 9/17/2017 at 4:52 PM, jsilverjanet said:

How many total books ar left?

On 9/17/2017 at 5:37 PM, Bird said:

tousands! (7000-7500)

On 9/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, Aweandlorder said:

And right?

Highlighted for simplicity

Edited by Aweandlorder

18 hours ago, mjc71 said:

Happen to have a Spectacular Spiderman 64 left in there?

I am fairly sure that I have 1-244 complete! I took out (and sold many of the) ASM but have not really opened the other Spidey stuff. I am going through drek first and near-drek like New Universe complete! And some fun stuff too (Thing and Two-In-One are next when I start up again).

Figured I would give a brief update. I am having a lot of fun with Marvel Fanfare right now. Awesome covers! I had seen a bunch previously of course but having a nice run is pretty cool. I took some time off from bagging/boarding new stuff about 2 months ago and have been focused on selling as many that I have ready to go as I can. Basically I do not want to buy another shelving unit and more boxes when I hope to move most of it anyway. I have electric heat in my home with 10 zones/thermostats and where the comics are is cold and I am damn tired of the cold this winter! But I pulled out the Fanfare after a discussion on the covers and am glad I did. Marvel Age was right next to it and I know some good stuff is in there as well. (I did pull the Stan issue and it needs a press but will be pretty nice after that.)

But what spurred me to post was an email I got today. Last weekend while home with a sick kid I put a post on craigslist for 750 comics for $400 (like I said, I want to move them and stop reading!) and today I got a guy in MA (I am in NJ) who wants to know if I will mail them to him! My wife chuckled at that but then was aghast when I said I would do it. But it seems cray-cray to me. I told him I would put some photos up this weekend and we could take it from there. I guess I should not be so surprised.

I am considering selling at another local show but need to get some of these slabbed first. I let my cgc membership lapse in September and am about ready to reactivate it and start the slabbing again.

I also tend to daydream about going to an auction house and giving them 1-80 of X-Men and Avengers and a bunch of the other stuff but think that I will continue to go solo for a while more before seriously considering it. Vincent Z was so so nice to me and the family a few years ago, guided tour of the offices (including his private office) and all, that he would almost certainly get them if I do go this route.

Looking at my last post, I still am excited to get to those Thing comics!

4 hours ago, speedcake said:

Are you still selling short boxes on ebay?

(shrug) I have not sold any short boxes on ebay. I have been selling them as runs. (Sold West Coast Avengers last night!)

edited to add: the WCA lot is going through the ebay gsp! 

Edited by Bird

ohno! Just opened Marvel Fanfare 1-20, significant water damage to all books. 1-3 are the worst and the later issues are rippling only but still a bummer of such groovy groovy comics.

A mild positive was the bag next to it, which surprisingly contained a smattering of oddities including 8-10 Submariner comics in better condition than the Subbies already opened (and sold)..

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just have to say that the pure enjoyment of digging through boxes and boxes of comics, not knowing what your going to find...well, there is just nothing else like it. I have never purchased a comic collection anywhere close to this size, but I have purchased many smaller collections through the years. I also purchased a massive baseball card collection in the early 80's that was roughly 750,000 cards. Thankfully, I got out of the sports card market before it collapsed in the 90's. I can't even imagine what I would have done with a lot of those cards if I had held on to them. Probably would have used them as kindling for our fireplace. My wife and I go to a lot of storage bin auctions and its that same excitement of not knowing what you will get that makes them so much fun. After reading some of this thread, I am definitely going to start checking sites like craigslist again. Its been awhile since I have even considered buying another collection, but this thread reminded me of just how much fun it can be. Glad to hear the purchase worked out for you in the end. 

well, I decided that I have made enough progress on the chaff to explore a little wheat. I have had some of these books slabbed before but I am going to start regularly submitting comics again, all from this collection. I just put together an order with 10 moderns and 4 value. I am hoping that I can show some restraint and hold onto a few of these (at least for a while).

I figure sell a bunch and keep a few. So one this go round the keepers might include Marvel Super Heroes 12 & 13, X-Men 14, Marvel Premiere 47, and Hero for Hire 1. I used the proceeds of selling books on ebay to pay joey and for the slabbing fees so the plan is to use any proceeds from these slabs to fund the new round. Rinse and repeat and if I keep a few each time I should have a nice pile by the end of 2018. I tend to sell quickly so I had my hands on two beauties tonight when packing them all up but told both SS4 and IH181, "not yet my pretties". As long as they are raw I won't touch them but once slabbed I become Darryl from Storage Wars "hey, that's a two hundred dollar bill right there!".

Edited by Bird