• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers#4 vs. X-Men #4
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Avengers#4 vs. X-Men #4

Which would you consider to the bigger or better Silver age key(semi-key) book?

Avengers #4 (Return of Captain America as leader) or Uncanny X-Men #4 (First appearance Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver 2nd appearance Magneto)?

I have a lot of X-men so I feel like my opinion might be biased towards that title.

I see Avengers #4 as a hotter issue I though.

So I suppose I would prefer the X-Men but be better off owning the Avengers.

Just now, entalmighty1 said:

Avengers 4 is certainly the more expensive of the two, point for point, and I would say it's a bigger key too.  One of the most iconic covers out there as well.

Yes! Awesome cover.

I am finally within striking range for both of them.

With Avengers #4 I fear it could slip from my grasp more easily though.

I'd always vote for the hero over the villain.  Even when the latter is as great a character as Magneto.  Avengers #4 is a major Silver Age key.

Both have terrific covers, and the Avengers #4 is a certified classic.  

I once owned nice copies of both.  Why I only received an 8.5 for this one I'll never understand.

x4Bob.jpg

And this one wound up with a new label and a 9.2 grade after leaving my collection.

Avengers4cgc.jpg

Edited by namisgr

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Both have terrific covers, and the Avengers #4 is a certified classic.  

I once owned nice copies of both.  Why I only received an 8.5 for this one I'll never understand.

x4Bob.jpg

And this one wound up with a new label and a 9.2 grade after leaving my collection.

Avengers4cgc.jpg

Both great looking books.  I wouldn't mind if my 8.5 Avengers #4 magically turned into a 9.2, but I'm content with it as is.

Heck, I think Avengers 4 is still underrated for that matter. It pulls the GA history into silver age continuity; as a moment when comics history first stitches together, (along with Flash 123 on the DC side) I think they are both very underrated silver keys.

I love X-Men 4, but it's a different weight class.