• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-man 1

17 posts in this topic

Giant Size X-man 1

Please grade just the front....   it has been pressed  (which now is normal, I remember when if you  mentioned it there was a fire storm)

Thanks in advance

107rwh3.jpg

1 hour ago, WEBHEAD said:

I don't want to take it out of the milar plans are to take it to NYC CC and drop it off.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to say without the back scan. I mean you could have a giant stain back there.

So just judging by the front cover, 7.0\7.5

I know CGC does not follow Overstreet    but...  look at the rules for 8.5   ?     I have it in the mylar because I do not want to take it out till it is graded.

F+ 8.5 - 1/4 inch cover crease with no color break allowed, Minor spine split with some minor color break allowed, Some slightly more noticeable stress lines allowed and paper can be Cream to Tan but must remain supple

VF 8.0 - Same as 8.5 but with some very very minor spine roll -- Must lay almost completely flat

VF- 7.5 - same as 8.0 but cover can have light cover soiling and some interior pages can have corner slight tears - Also cover can have some corner wear.

F/VF 7.0 -  Moderate reduction of cover reflectivity - minor creases allowed, minor foxing, interior cover yellowing, date stamps - initials - and store stamps are allowed, Slight rust migration allowed, Blunted corners, minor margin tears on interior pages allowed -- More and deeper stress lines allowed

Guess I need to go to someone who will at least publish their secret recipe.   You can see I've been here since the beginning so I've also seen how their grading has tighten and loosened over time.  Consistency is what we need... thanks in advance for your help... moving on.

2 hours ago, WEBHEAD said:

Guess I need to go to someone who will at least publish their secret recipe.   You can see I've been here since the beginning so I've also seen how their grading has tighten and loosened over time.  Consistency is what we need... thanks in advance for your help... moving on.

Is there a couple of tears next to storm n the right edge of the book?

Also just spine ticks , but overall a very nice book.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, WEBHEAD said:

That's the thing.  There isn't really a secret recipe.  IMHO, if you try counting tick marks and measuring things with a ruler, then you'll be thrown off the trail by how severe the ticks are, and where they are, etc.  Trying to be modest, I'm a pretty good grader, and I grade entirely based on the whole picture.  Grading is an art.  You just have to look at it and decide if it looks too scruffy for a 9.0, and too nice for a 6.0 and then start "wiggling in" in your mind until you reach a grade.  FWIW, IMHO it looks like a 7.5....maybe a 7.0 if the grader is fighting with his wife that day.   I own a GSXM1 in 7.5, and yours is about the same as mine.

Thanks Steve....... been collecting since '60s     have a lot of graded books,  hopefully this one will grade out over 7.5 given it's presentation.  Who knows I had a FF 72 that got hammered   here    but when I got it back was a 9.6   This one is one of the nicest I've seen so far in hand.

-Paul