• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con 2017 report
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I love this con so much. I know I'm hugely biased since I'm local to NC but it really is one of the best pure comic book conventions left. My wife loves, i get to catch up with friends, the convention center is great and so is The Westin. I left this convention feeling really re invigorated with collecting. This past year i lost a lot of drive with comics etc and contemplated selling my books off but the people i talked to this year and interactions i had changed my mind. Im hoping this inspiration boils over to the boards as i remain pretty quiet on here, even though I've been around since 2007. Im looking forward to posting more. On to the con stuff!

We left Jacksonville NC around 5 am so i could beat friday morning traffic in raleigh. Energy drinks and good jams along the way.

IMG_1165.jpg

Arrived in Charlotte around 10 am before the con opened 

IMG_1167.jpg

Got our badges with relative ease and waited in line to get in. Friday is always my bigger buying day since its slower and more room to move around but this year Friday seemed to be pretty busy. 

IMG_1172.jpg

as per tradition my lovely wife had her picture taken against the back drop. 

IMG_1175.jpg

First thing we did was drop off some books for grading and then hit Comic Kings booth up as he had some books waiting for me. Let me give Joey a lot of props for a second. He always has an amazing booth, super great prices and always willing to deal with board members. I picked these up from him.

IMG_1187.jpg

Walked the floor for a bit and met up with a buddy and then had lunch at Fuel Pizza. Its amazing 

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

We wrapped up day one with my wife getting some stuff signed by Scottie Young, Then hitting up Duckworths Bar and Grill who has an AMAZING draft selection

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Saturday started off pretty foggy outside

IMG_1183.jpg

Spent most of saturday looking for cheap stuff and taking pictures as its always "cosplay" central on Saturday.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Saturday night we hit up the art auction. Rolled my cooler downstairs this year as it gets quite pricey to drink at the westin.

Took some random art pics. 

IMG_1207.jpg

Awesome Eric Powell Wolverine

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

After the con we hit up the epi-center area for a late night meal and drinks. 

IMG_1218.jpg

Got this hot lady to go back to the room with me.

IMG_1226.jpg

Sunday morning we walked the floor one more time and grabbed a few manga and graphic novels for reading then left around 1 to head to Raleigh. Stopped in Raleigh to see the Deftones and Rise Against play ..

IMG_1291.jpg

Monday morning spent the afternoon sorting the purchases and organizing stuff. 

IMG_1311.jpg

Again overall a very fun weekend for me that left me wanting to do more with comics again. Hope everyone else that went had as much fun as me!

Edited by OrangeNemesis

:applause: thanks for the report, really looking forward to going to this con one day

6 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Thanks Orange, enjoyed your report.

What's the city of Charlotte like?  Size, weather, etc?  And what would you estimate the convention attendance at?

They estimated this year was 50k attendees. 

Downtown charlotte is outstanding. Great nightlife stuff, plenty of local eateries and pubs. It's super clean and a little pricey. Weather wise is typical NC stuff. Hot and humid in June although it was a little cooler this year. 

Great report, ON. I wish I'd taken more pics, but yours capture the experience well. This was the year I finally made it up there and I regret missing out the last few years when I said I would go, but didn't. Exactly as you said, one of the best "pure" comic conventions. Reminded me of going to cons in the late 80's/early 90's, I was amazed at the diversity of stock dealers brought and found several books on my priority list, mostly at good prices. 

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Great report, ON. I wish I'd taken more pics, but yours capture the experience well. This was the year I finally made it up there and I regret missing out the last few years when I said I would go, but didn't. Exactly as you said, one of the best "pure" comic conventions. Reminded me of going to cons in the late 80's/early 90's, I was amazed at the diversity of stock dealers brought and found several books on my priority list, mostly at good prices. 

Everyone wanted to deal this year it seemed. Your right on the inventory, no matter what you collect it's there. Hell Carbanaro even brought an Action 1 (to mostly be a show off :) 

golden to modern and indys. Great showing from all the eras for sure. 

First year in about five Veronica and I didn't set up at the show.  The Heroes Crew is tops, they throw a great party back at the store after the show wraps on Sunday night-- music, food, open bar.  The Uber cars to the airport were in a constant and steady stream last year, and yet they still offer to drive you (and they did) because they know how to treat people.

Weather wise all of my friends who are down there insist it's not usually as humid as it is but every year it's crazy humid-- not Tokyo mid August but close.  We went out to dinner with friends, walked through the great little downtown area (sweating) and came to a famous BBQ place.

"You'll love this place, it's air conditioned!" My chum offers.

I swear it was hotter inside that it was outside.  I think you folks in the south just get acclimated to humidity.

But it's a great show-- I think it beats San Diego hands down because it's about COMICS.

3 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

Downtown charlotte is outstanding. Great nightlife stuff, plenty of local eateries and pubs. It's super clean and a little pricey. Weather wise is typical NC stuff. Hot and humid in June although it was a little cooler this year. 

I was there on Friday and Saturday and I'll say this much it didn't feel like the attendance was that high (50K attendees).  I just remember the line to pick up my 3 day badge on Friday was longer last year; even though I showed up both years around the same time and we were able to walk up and spend just a few minutes in line to get the wife her single day pass this year.  While last year we had to wait 20+ minutes.  There were a few other people I spoke with that stated that they felt that attendance was down this year compared to previous years.

It could all just be perception; since the booths are spread out enough to allow people to dig through boxes and not get bumped by everyone walking by. 

Psy

4 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

50K attendance at an all comic show is like 250K at a non-comic show.  lol

Charlotte is a banking town so the downtown core is mostly DINK (Double Income No Kids) so the city 'shuts down' after 5PM during the week but at night and on weekends there's plenty of stuff to do. It's a very clean mostly new downtown.

Hot and humid if you don't mind that (I don't) and people are friendly.

34 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

First year in about five Veronica and I didn't set up at the show.

What name did you set up under?

Great Con report - love to see Con photos when I can't go.  Father's Day weekend is a tough one to get away and the 7 hour drive makes it tough all the way around.  Hope the sellers did as well as the buyers this year.

Other stuff I picked up I didn't mention. 

2 high grade ms. marvel 9s

a bunch of mid grade xmen filler stuff ( I'm so close to having a 94-300 run.

street fighter mangas and vs. Gi Joe series

( I'm a street fighter fan)

some 140-150 Thor issues.

babyteeth 1 heroes variant. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Great Con report - love to see Con photos when I can't go.  Father's Day weekend is a tough one to get away and the 7 hour drive makes it tough all the way around.  Hope the sellers did as well as the buyers this year.

It's kind of my Father's Day treat to myself. I'm hoping next year my son can come. He will be 4.