• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Lubbers Tribute
5 5

96 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, I joined this forum after a google search for Bob got me here. I have a very large collection of Bobs work (probably the largest out there) although it wont be for sale, I would like to share some of the work. I will be sorting through it and getting some photos to share.

12 minutes ago, Richm20 said:

Good afternoon, I joined this forum after a google search for Bob got me here. I have a very large collection of Bobs work (probably the largest out there) although it wont be for sale, I would like to share some of the work. I will be sorting through it and getting some photos to share.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you've got.

14 minutes ago, Richm20 said:

Welcome to the boards.  I look forward to your sharing. 

7 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards.  I look forward to your sharing. 

Thanks for the welcome. Give me some time to sort through it all and get some good photos, just nice to see how many people still love his work. He sure was a talented guy!

I may have opened my mouth too soon. Although I have thousands of his pieces, I have almost no comic books. I do have a lot of original comic strips. Is this the wrong place for that?

Edited by Richm20
Added information

3 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

sounds more like the right place - post a few & let's see... cheers

One of the boxes full of Long Sam dalies and Sundays! Got a lot of sorting and orgonizing ahead of me.

IMG_20170714_162833383[1].jpg

I guess new members have posting restrictions. I cant post or add photos. Hopefully that restriction will end soon! Have a great weekend

Edited by Richm20

3 hours ago, Richm20 said:

I guess new members have posting restrictions. 

I believe it's part of the new software of this board that was implemented to curtail an infamous and vulgar shill who was trolling the Board.

Welcome to the Boards and I'll look forward to your images - once a Mod "approves" you, there should be no restrictions. (thumbsu

On 7/11/2017 at 2:11 AM, Crowzilla said:

With the news of Bob Lubbers passing away this past weekend, I thought it would be a good time to have a dedicated thread to this very talented artist, should be easy with all the Centaur and Fiction House fans we have here.

Thanks for the fantastic imagery, Bob.

20170711_020533.jpg

I am looking now at the Arrow recreation Bob did for me......Nice individual.....Jon

On 7/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, Robot Man said:

comwings90.jpg

comwings94.jpg

I absolutely love these later Wings issues with the GGA covers by Lubbers and feel they have some of the best GGA covers out of the entire GA time period.  :luhv:

The one I loved in particular was issue #90 and was really upset that I had missed out on the HG Lost Valley copy of that book.  Have alway tried to obtain a nice copy of that book at a reasonable price, but have only ended up with 2 upper end mid-grade copies to date.  Found out one day that I actually have a HG copy of Wings 94 and starting to like this cover quite a bit also.  I guess my bias must be showing.  :D

For all of you Lubbers aficionados out there, just curious as to which one of the 2 books (i.e. Wings 90 or Wings 94) is considered to be the more classic cover and the go to book to get since I have been unsuccessfully after a uber HG copy of Wings 90 for so long that my opinion would be worth diddly-squat here?  lol  hm

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I absolutely love these later Wings issues with the GGA covers by Lubbers and feel they have some of the best GGA covers out of the entire GA time period.  :luhv:

The one I loved in particular was issue #90 and was really upset that I had missed out on the HG Lost Valley copy of that book.  Have alway tried to obtain a nice copy of that book at a reasonable price, but have only ended up with 2 upper end mid-grade copies to date.  Found out one day that I actually have a HG copy of Wings 94 and starting to like this cover quite a bit also.  I guess my bias must be showing.  :D

For all of you Lubbers aficionados out there, just curious as to which one of the 2 books (i.e. Wings 90 or Wings 94) is considered to be the more classic cover and the go to book to get since I have been unsuccessfully after a uber HG copy of Wings 90 for so long that my opinion would be worth diddly-squat here?  lol  hm

I give the slightest nod to the 90 but 94 is right behind it. The colors on the 94 especially if bright are really striking. I was very lucky to get these many years ago when nobody seemed to want Wings. Times have changed...

Just now, Robot Man said:

I give the slightest nod to the 90 but 94 is right behind it. The colors on the 94 especially if bright are really striking. I was very lucky to get these many years ago when nobody seemed to want Wings. Times have changed...

Oh, I might add, both of these are signed by Lubbers at the bottom of the first splash page!

Lubbers didn't do any covers for Planet Comics, but he did interiors for issues 44-47.

Here are his amazing splash pages for the Space Rangers title in Planet 44 and Planet 47, the latter of which contains quite a heady illustration. Such classic GA stuff!!!

Planet 44:

AFmMOgg.jpg

Planet 47:

r6Mqi4Q.jpg

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I like 94 better on account of the damsel in distress is hotter than the one from 90 imho ...and isn't  that what's most important here?