• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE - My basement flooded where my books are
3 3

139 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

so sorry. That is just so sad. I know you have always bought quality books, so I know those are likely great condition books no longer so. :frown:

Thanks for sharing though, I am sure some good will come from this for others.

This was primarily from a collection I purchased, so more mid and lowish type grades.    Some of those books in the bag however were books I collected when I was a kid ?

Sorry for your loss.....:cry:

Just out of curiosity... how did this happened? Was the basement drain clogged not working or backed-up? Is it an old house where it doesn't have or limited basement/foundation water protection (barrier)??

I too lived in the GTA and I rarely heard anything about flooded basements. Yes I know, we've been getting crazy rain recently, I think Toronto Island is still off limits because of flooding, but between the city's water sewers system and your house's water barrier, basement flooding can be avoided.

Sorry to hear Jason. Lost a lot of stuff (cards, posters, etc) a couple years ago when a tree grew in the sewer main and during a huge rainstorm the water was actually coming back up through the main floor drain in the basement. Luckily all the comics were in the attic. Hope it works out ok for you.

17 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Ensured most of the Mylar books whose boxes got wet were in fact still dry and I wiped of any residual moisture on the base of the bags.   The top picture are books from wet boxes that were protected by the Mylite 2's , the second pic shows few books that had some hole or crack in the Mylar and are pretty much done.   The JIM is only partially wet, I may see if I can salvage that.  These books are in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier that are toast?

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Nice, looks like you nearly made it unscathed. Thank God!

Now dont put your books in the basement.(tsk)

50 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Sorry to hear Jason. Lost a lot of stuff (cards, posters, etc) a couple years ago when a tree grew in the sewer main and during a huge rainstorm the water was actually coming back up through the main floor drain in the basement. Luckily all the comics were in the attic. Hope it works out ok for you.

Mother Nature!!! :mad:

7 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Why people put their comics in the basement is beyond me. 

My collection is probably over 14,000 books, there are only so many places in the house they will fit.   I do have other books in different parts of the house too.?

Man, what a depressing thread. So very sorry for you. I don't know how I would handle it. Fire and water are the enemy of paper. As are basements and attics. Luckily, where I live we don't have many basements or attics. I have a very large, cool, dark, dry closet in the house where most of my books are. Many are in safety boxes and a safe. I do have a lot of boxes of later books on shelves about 4 feet high in the garage. I have had water in there but my books were high and dry. Maybe it's time I got rid of some...

I have been there and its no fun piling up stacks of books to throw in the garbage.  Maybe folks can place their longboxes inside large garbage bags or something.   Or a plastic tarp holding all the boxes and tied up at the top.  

4 hours ago, combiner1 said:

Sorry for your loss.....:cry:

Just out of curiosity... how did this happened? Was the basement drain clogged not working or backed-up? Is it an old house where it doesn't have or limited basement/foundation water protection (barrier)??

I too lived in the GTA and I rarely heard anything about flooded basements. Yes I know, we've been getting crazy rain recently, I think Toronto Island is still off limits because of flooding, but between the city's water sewers system and your house's water barrier, basement flooding can be avoided.

Its an older house that had some water leakage issues due to an older style concrete block foundation when we first moved in.  We had the house set up with external waterproofing and new drainage systems which worked well for the last 4 or five years.    The basement has sunken windows with those galvanized barriers around them that protrude up through the ground.  With a combination of all the heavy rains, and some erosion around the window area with the barrier settling over the years, a big run off of water basically emptied directly to the window space and flowed right past the window frame, down the wall and into the basement room from what I can tell.   Windows are meant to be weather proof, not submersible proof.     I did some fix up today that should keep it from happening again.

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Why people put their comics in the basement is beyond me. 

Poor and ignorant lower class scum - they should be drug into a ditch and shot.