• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are you?
3 3

Yeah....so how old are you? Pick only one unless you are a time traveler.  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 0-15 (Look Mom, I collect comics)
    • 16-20 (I can drive! And I collect comics)
    • 21-25 (I love Ramen Noodles and Comics!)
    • 26-30 (Now that I have a job, I can buy more comics!)
    • 31-35 (Honey, keep the kids away from my books!)
    • 36-40 (I'll read that book when I get back from taking the kids to soccer)
    • 41-45 (Gotta sell my books to put the kids through college)
    • 46-50 (Ok, don't tell my spouse about the book I bought)
    • 51-55 (I'll buy a key if I want...I'm the boss!)
    • 56-60 (Need to add a few more issues to my collection)
    • 61-65 (I may be retiring, but I'm keeping my comics!)
    • 66-70 (Yes, Wolverine is cool, but let me tell you about Blackhawk)
    • 70-75 (Hmmm....where'd I put that comic? I was just reading it a second ago)
    • 76-80 (When I was a kid, I bought an Action 1 from a yard sale)
    • 81-100 (I finally finished my run!)

62 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

39 and rarely read any comics, no time. My kids play football and baseball so FU

I don't recall anyone saying anything about reading comics.  (shrug)

33, with a wife and a 1yr old. Child of the 80's, collected comics during the 80s/90s (X-Men, and the "flavor of the times" Gen 13, etc.), then was completely off it until about a year ago, when the usual "rule of 25" kicked in and I got nostalgic.

I collect copper / modern keys (mostly for my personal collection, with a tiny bit of spec / investment thrown in), but found a good LCS and read a handful of titles weekly (currently X-Men Blue, Gold, Astonishing X-Men, Venom, Redneck, Babyteeth, Batman).   I only collect keys of books / characters I was interested in growing up, and my regular "reading" titles I don't think at all as investments, purely for reading pleasure.

Wife's okay with it - it's the only thing I really spend money on (other than music and audio equipment), and she thinks at least with comics, I could potentially sell down the road, whereas high-end DACs / Amps / Headphones / Speakers are pretty much dead-money :p

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Nice - my 41-45 age group is in the lead!

Wait until the clown punching begins....,

On 8/23/2017 at 2:17 AM, Wolverinex said:

Bothers me that this hobby barely has a under 30 crowd....  seems like holding on to comics long term may be a bad investment if the younger crowds are not interested because they are out snap-chatting each other in their social networks.

See my post just a bit above this one. Since 2010 I have seen the following trends here in Alberta:

1) large number of collectors 30 and under enter the hobby

2) more than 50% are female

3) they tend to focus on keys instead of runs.

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

See my post just a bit above this one. Since 2010 I have seen the following trends here in Alberta:

Not what I'm seeing in Ohio or at pretty much any Con on the east coast.  There may be younger people who are familiar with characters and may cos-play but avid collectors or key buyers are almost all 35 and older with a vast majority being men.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

50% are all females you say.......hm maybe it's time to move to Alberta..... to show the wife that comics are for everybody, BUT most of all to let me buy more modern series and keys....:tonofbricks:

14 hours ago, combiner1 said:

50% are all females you say.......hm maybe it's time to move to Alberta..... to show the wife that comics are for everybody, BUT most of all to let me buy more modern series and keys....:tonofbricks:

I think Artboy99 has a collage from a couple of years ago with some of the girls that bought back issues from us that pokes fun at thehumantorch for saying "Girls don't buy comics" at one point. lol

We really saw the female collector base pick up with the New 52 relaunch. It has kept going strong since then. 

Edited by kimik

57 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

55 and I can still catch raccoons and skunks, and kill a hive with 100K bees. 

How old are bees in Oakman's neighborhood?
Not very.