• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are some honest dealers on ebay and elsewhere for raw Silver Age & Bronze Age books?
4 4

64 posts in this topic

I think I've bought from almost everyone listed and not had any issues with any of them.  My advice more broadly is to buy with confidence from anyone who offers returns.  If  you disagree on a grade when in hand (and can't work out a resolution with a seller) and have to mail a book back at your own expense consider it just the cost of doing business on ebay.  In my experience it doesn't happen all that often.

38 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I think I've bought from almost everyone listed and not had any issues with any of them.  My advice more broadly is to buy with confidence from anyone who offers returns.  If  you disagree on a grade when in hand (and can't work out a resolution with a seller) and have to mail a book back at your own expense consider it just the cost of doing business on ebay.  In my experience it doesn't happen all that often.

I have kept my buying from great board members whom I trust such as yourself. I have never had a bad experience here, ever.

19 hours ago, FSF said:

Can you folks please make some suggestions for dealers who sell non over-graded, unrestored, raw comic books? 

I think all the names being presented are worthy, however, I think the best way to buy comics is via an auction. With that in mind, comics4less runs the best auctions on E-Bay. The auctions are weekly, ending every Sunday with 100's of items offered. As mentioned, the shipping is fast, safe, and reasonably priced. You pay, they ship the next day. They grade tight. Their inventory is extensive from Gold to Moderns, offering many rare and hard to find items. You will not be disappointed.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:45 PM, oakman29 said:

I have kept my buying from great board members whom I trust such as yourself. I have never had a bad experience here, ever.

Aw Oak, you're just not trying hard enough! :jokealert:

Edited by Mystafo
can't spell

On 9/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, lizards2 said:

Just look at their auctions on eBay - I have bought a few items from them on eBay, but you really have to look at scans, and ultimately pay through the nose.

I snagged a B&B 28 from them for about 1/3 guide...at least if the grade was right.  But that was a loooong time ago!  They had it as a Fine_...when I re-sold it I couldn't grade it out to better than a VG/Fine, but what I paid was still a great deal, so I can't complain.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:05 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I think all the names being presented are worthy, however, I think the best way to buy comics is via an auction. With that in mind, comics4less runs the best auctions on E-Bay. The auctions are weekly, ending every Sunday with 100's of items offered. As mentioned, the shipping is fast, safe, and reasonably priced. You pay, they ship the next day. They grade tight. Their inventory is extensive from Gold to Moderns, offering many rare and hard to find items. You will not be disappointed.

It's all true what you say about comics4less. But I would add that it's really, really hard to get any sort of bargain. They have amassed such a loyal following that their books simply get higher prices than the same book from lesser known sellers on eBay.  I end up buying from them several times a year when the obscure, harder to find items come up, but it's never a bargain.

The last time I got some good deals from them was last Christmas when he closed some auctions Dec 26. Proof that even the best sellers shouldn't run auctions when everyone is feeling broke and so many people are out of town. 

That said, comics4less is successful on eBay because of a solid business plan. Every single week a bunch of no reserve, low starting bid auctions are listed. Shipping is cheap, fast and secure. Returns are easy. Grading is solid. 

11 hours ago, Tony S said:

It's all true what you say about comics4less. But I would add that it's really, really hard to get any sort of bargain. They have amassed such a loyal following that their books simply get higher prices than the same book from lesser known sellers on eBay.  I end up buying from them several times a year when the obscure, harder to find items come up, but it's never a bargain.

The last time I got some good deals from them was last Christmas when he closed some auctions Dec 26. Proof that even the best sellers shouldn't run auctions when everyone is feeling broke and so many people are out of town. 

That said, comics4less is successful on eBay because of a solid business plan. Every single week a bunch of no reserve, low starting bid auctions are listed. Shipping is cheap, fast and secure. Returns are easy. Grading is solid. 

Comics4less has a loyal following because they grade tight. It's much better to buy a FINE book from comics4less at a strong price then to buy a FINE book from an obscure E-Bay seller at a bargain. 

I used to buy a lot from c4less, max out their shipping (i.e. 6 or more books) for a thousand or two, until around mid-year 2016, but I'm always looking for value/bang for my buck.  They're great, just no longer present me with value for my often cheap a s s .

10 minutes ago, FSF said:

Any specific opinions on anthonyscomicbookart-online ?

I've been tempted by some of their stuff before, but then I look at their listings and find items like this, and the spidey senses start tingling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-SILVER-SURFER-9-NM-John-Buscema-/301165725166?hash=item461ee045ee:g:XYoAAOxyUrZS66Kq

Not sure anyone here would consider this a NM-/9.2, but your mileage may vary.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, I tend to find anthony's overgrade 1 to 2 grades, pretty good by ebay standards, and they have a few different people listing (although I think they use grades already marked on bags).

I once got a deal on an ASM 10 VG+, but they sent me the wrong one (a clearly different copy that was also listed at the same time, in VG-).  They handled it great (except they wouldn't send me the nicer copy for the price I paid), promptly returned my money after I sent the comic back in same packaging.  Given my buy-value habits, I'm pretty sure the comic I bought was mis-priced as a VG- and that's why they couldn't find the VG+ anywhere in stock.

1 minute ago, FSF said:

Interesting, if you are talking about the one in Mountain View, I was planning on dropping by there today. 

Lee has always left me feeling like I got the better end of the deal. That being said everything good is kept in the back. I would recommend calling ahead if there are books on ebay that you want to view.