• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Getting Deeper in Your Wallet
1 1

88 posts in this topic

Just now, lizards2 said:

How do you sell on Facebook?  Can you send me a link?

There are several groups on fb but for me this one works the best. Maybe because most are local to my area? I don't know. i also do well with fb marketplace which is HUGE but on that one I do well with big collections (at least 4-5 boxes)

IMG_6848.PNG

Just now, adampasz said:

How do slabs do on Amazon?

Ok so with Amazon it's all about knowing your market. I have a list of slabs that I buy DIRT CHEAP on eBay and move quickly on Amazon.

of course I would never give that list away since it took me years to learn which books move better on Amazon. 

I will only tell you that Amazon works better with popular books. Not rare or big grails  

Ok the facebook thing looks interesting, but how do you ever find anything on there?  It just seems a random jumble.

I felt the same way looking at the Voldemort boards - how the heck does that work?  No organization?

Edited by lizards2

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Ok the facebook thing looks interesting, but how do you ever find anything on there?  It just seems a random jumble.

I felt the same way looking at the Voldemort boards - how the heck does that work?  No organization?

Lolol the voldi-board! That's an excellent comparison. 

FB is more like Craigslist in that regard. People don't utilizate hashtag searches with it as much as they do on IG for some reason it seems. 

Whats always important to remember is that the majority (not all) of users in each individual network (eBay, fb, Amazon) don't buy on the other platforms.  That's key!

So you'll basically move items quicker on all fronts instead of waiting for each platform to pick up when it's down

I've got a buddy that does a good bit of selling on IG.  It's definitely a growing marketplace.  I've been considering putting some stuff up there and seeing what happens.  I've done a very small bit of selling on FB as well.  

The Instagram information is interesting, I may have to take a peek. I have also been hesitant about FB marketplace, but maybe it deserves a closer look. Amazon, unless they've changed quite a bit, just didn't work for me. It may have changed in recent years, but my recollection is that they kept money in escrow instant of paying instantly, and maxed shipping out at $4 no matter what the item was. So those were nonstarters for me.

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Facebook has it's merits but you have to realize it's a different mind set then E-Bay or on the boards.  You get a ton of people wanting to trade their minor keys for your keys so there is that.  You also have a ton more SS collectors and hot variant collectors on Facebook which is nice if you have those type of books to sell.  But since you do not need to pick one over the other it does seem to make sense to try them all and see what works for you.

I find it difficult to turn a consistent profit on eBay

Take away 10% right off the top. Then another 4% for PayPal fees. Throw in shipping and handling and you end up having to ask for quite the premium. 

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Yikes, I've made some off-of-ebay offers to local sellers, I didn't realize they could get fined for it.

Jerk.

:jokealert:

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Facebook has it's merits but you have to realize it's a different mind set then E-Bay or on the boards.  You get a ton of people wanting to trade their minor keys for your keys so there is that.  You also have a ton more SS collectors and hot variant collectors on Facebook which is nice if you have those type of books to sell.  But since you do not need to pick one over the other it does seem to make sense to try them all and see what works for you.

Well, I don't sell any of that BS, so I may be spooned in that environment.  :flamed:

1 minute ago, Mystafo said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Well, I don't sell any of that BS, so I may be spooned in that environment.  :flamed:

Hey, Hey. Watch that pal...

I wouldn't be seen in close proximity to me, or the mods might fork you over. :baiting:

Guilt by association and all that. :cool:

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

They all have different buyers. Amazon buyers are not the same as ebay buyers, same with FB/IG vs eBay vs Amazon

Again, eBay is just KNOWN to collectors as the number one shop for comics. Readers will likely go with Amazon. FB/IG...? Still too early to call who these guys are.. I think that IG is just alot of fun when you have  nice clean feed of comic enthusiasts on it...  

35 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Ebay :cloud9: Where have you been all my life?  Between the Photobucket fiasco and the board "upgrade" finally decided to try Ebay with the 40 odd slabs i've been pimping here forever with marginal success.  Jacked them up 10% and offered free shipping, sold over 20 in a month. 

Sounds like you should have lowered the price 10 % and sold them here. :D

34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If you sell here and get crickets, you must go to ebay, which means doing it twice.

But if you start at ebay you generally can finish most of it up at ebay too, which means doing it once.  Once you've 'cracked' the board selling with a good rep, and quality stuff, at a good to decent price (i.e. a good bit below (-25%) to slightly above (say 10%) market, depending on the stuff), then you can sell on the boards with minimal duplication of effort

Those who 'cracked' it are too many to mention, but I'm referring to sellers like October, Dale Roberts, etc.

Edited by grebal

1 hour ago, grebal said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

If you sell here and get crickets, you must go to ebay, which means doing it twice.

But if you start at ebay you generally can finish most of it up at ebay too, which means doing it once.  Once you've 'cracked' the board selling with a good rep, and quality stuff, at a good to decent price (i.e. a good bit below (-25%) to slightly above (say 10%) market, depending on the stuff), then you can sell on the boards with minimal duplication of effort

Those who 'cracked' it are too many to mention, but I'm referring to sellers like October, Dale Roberts, etc.

Not sure what your point is, as hardly any of your post applies to paperheart.  And my post was written a little tongue in cheek.....,

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Ebay :cloud9: Where have you been all my life?  Between the Photobucket fiasco and the board "upgrade" finally decided to try Ebay with the 40 odd slabs i've been pimping here forever with marginal success.  Jacked them up 10% and offered free shipping, sold over 20 in a month. 

Damn - now you will never sell in the VCC again.  I loved getting those high grade books at a good price.