• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resto Checks, does CGC offer this at cons? Maybe they should.

16 posts in this topic

Interesting idea! It would definitely advertise a part of their service. I don't think that you can send in books for just resto check though and not have it graded.... I think they want you to pay for their full service is what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting idea! It would definitely advertise a part of their service. I don't think that you can send in books for just resto check though and not have it graded.... I think they want you to pay for their full service is what I'm saying.

I was thinking similar to how they do on the spot slabbing at some conventions.  They can do on the spot resto check.  I am not thinking the grade but not  slab thing that someother company is doing.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

I was thinking similar to how they do on the spot slabbing at some conventions.  They can do on the spot resto check.  I am not thinking the grade but not  slab thing that someother company is doing.

I got you, I was just implying it might go against their regular business practices and may be a reason why they wouldn't do that at a convention. I've never been to a convention that offered on-site anything. But I agree it would be nice...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I got you, I was just implying it might go against their regular business practices and may be a reason why they wouldn't do that at a convention. I've never been to a convention that offered on-site anything. But I agree it would be nice...

Maybe a compromize like they do with the grade checking option on regular submissions.  Sign a paper agreeing you will leave the book with them to get graded if it passes the resto check.  Pay your4 extra $10 for the service, like they currently charge $5 for the pre-grading service.  The only catch is you would have to have the seller agree to having CGC handle and look at the book.  If the seller misssed resto they could be out a lot of chash also.

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

Maybe a compromize like they do with the grade checking option on regular submissions.  Sign a paper agreeing you will leave the book with them to get graded if it passes the resto check.  Pay your4 extra $10 for the service, like they currently charge $5 for the pre-grading service.  The only catch is you would have to have the seller agree to having CGC handle and look at the book.  If the seller misssed resto they could be out a lot of chash also.

Well I think that the seller would be thankful to know. If it was marketed well enough and the price was right, maybe the sellers would pony up the dough to get a certificate that a raw was unrestored. That way the seller could charge a little more, but the buyer could buy with confidence. Some would pay more for a resto check raw than these new slabs that when cracked out might slice and dice. It's a great idea, it would need some fine tuning though. 

Fair point

2 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I think the "guarantee" of the resto check comes part and parcel with the grading/slabbing.  If the book didn't end up in a slab after their evaluation they couldn't say nobody restored it afterward, I guess.

2 hours ago, Mystafo said:

I think the "guarantee" of the resto check comes part and parcel with the grading/slabbing.  If the book didn't end up in a slab after their evaluation they couldn't say nobody restored it afterward, I guess.

This is true. It would be too easy to abuse the service by administering resto after CGC looks at it.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

I would honestly not care if the check expired the second you left the booth.  Just to be able to go up with a seller, get the rest clean check, then go back and buy it.

Years ago Matt Nelson would set up at cons and for a nominal fee he would look at your raw books. I think the objective was to see if your book was improvable but he would look for resto. I remember once using it for the exact situation you are talking about, getting it checked for resto before purchasing it. It would be nice.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is true. It would be too easy to abuse the service by administering resto after CGC looks at it.

I was thinking of it as a purchasing decision for myself.  Not a guarantee some future person would not alter the book.

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

I was thinking of it as a purchasing decision for myself.  Not a guarantee some future person would not alter the book.

I may of confused some because of my post my bad. They do bring up the point that I was wrong, sellers wouldn't spring for it themselves due to if the buyer had it proved it had no resto but then could not decide on price with the seller....

As you are asking, a resto check would be easier to host at each convention than on-site grading. Just need some experts and a price.

I think it could happen. Just need some motivation and for cgc to think it's worthwhile. It would have to be worth it in price to attract not going ahead and having it graded. For most grading is worth it. I don't know if cgc could design a market for those that just enjoy raws in Mylar. Logistics are beyond my expertise.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think it could happen. Just need some motivation and for cgc to think it's worthwhile. It would have to be worth it in price to attract not going ahead and having it graded. For most grading is worth it. I don't know if cgc could design a market for those that just enjoy raws in Mylar. Logistics are beyond my expertise.

I think that would go against cgc business model to encourage people to grade and this would discourage that... by just offering to check for restoration and not have it graded....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Years ago Matt Nelson would set up at cons and for a nominal fee he would look at your raw books. I think the objective was to see if your book was improvable but he would look for resto. I remember once using it for the exact situation you are talking about, getting it checked for resto before purchasing it. It would be nice.

Yep.  I think it was $5/book for a review.  I had Matt look at a few for me when he was set up for that.  Was a nice service.