• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4 or Avengers 1
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wanted to get some other peoples opinion. I just landed a solid mid grade Avengers 4 and a friend is trying  to trade me his Avengers 1 that is on par in GPA for it. I am not sure why but I really have a low interest for Avengers 1 but do really like Avengers 4.

Guess my question is based on equal value today, would you rather have an Avengers 1 or an Avengers 4?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Both issues are in my top 12 silver age Marvel books and I love them. I think however that #1 is ranked higher in regards of historical significance. #4 has however one of the most iconic covers ever, and it is a very important issue as well, historically. So it really comes down to personal preference. 

On October 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Rezin1234 said:

Well I did also ask what other people's preference is as well. 

I get it - there was a thread somewhere and we also talked about which people preferred.  I don't think it will be a clear winner on this, just personal preference.  Collecting is very personal, IMO.

I'm all for AV 4.  One of the most iconic SA covers out there.  Of course, the entire Avengers team is comprised of members who have appeared many times over in other books.  BUT, this is the 1st SA appearance of Cap (Steve Rogers)!  So, more toward a 1st appearance of a major character than issue #1 in my book.    

I've always preferred Avengers 4.

Fantastic Silver Age cover, the reintroduction of one of my all-time favourite characters, and who's also my favourite Avenger.

Storywise, for me, issue 4 has the slight edge; a very powerful revival scene compensating for a fairly mediocre second act involving the 'Medusa' alien, whereas I find issue 1 a bit average throughout.

I love both as everyone here has stated but my preference is #1.    

Will get a #4 eventually but I LOVE the cover on issue number one with the gold armor Ironman and all the classic looking first avengers as well as Loki making an appearance does it for me.

Collect what YOU love.

Value should not dictate what you like or what you collect.  That may be one of the biggest problems with the hobby; people chasing value as opposed to just collecting what they love.  (I probably just stepped on many toes, but this is simply my opinion and take it or leave it as you wish).

I prefer the #1, however, if you prefer the #4 and already own it, then you should be happy and avoid a trade that you may likely regret.

Again, only my 2c (from a guy who has probably overpaid for way too many books simply for the love of the book).