What are some ways that Average Joes have come to own Amazing Fantasy 15
4 4

44 posts in this topic

5 posts

Hi guy so I’m new to the forum but I’ve been collecting comics since I was a kid. I’m a big spiderman fan and I was curious how some of us mere mortals have come to own the Holy Grail that is Amazing Fantasy 15 with out having to pay a fortune for it. Note that as of yet I’m not one of those lucky few but maybe someday.

BB762699-AFEF-460A-AB76-9555FBA9DDB9.jpeg

32,492 posts
6 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Unfortunately I am one of us mere mortals who paid a fortune for it. 

(Welcome to the boards!)

Same.  Although the price I paid 4 years ago would be considered a "bargain" in the current climate.  Still, by far, the most I've ever paid for a comic book. 

4,595 posts
2 hours ago, Andres Aragon said:

Hi guy so I’m new to the forum but I’ve been collecting comics since I was a kid. I’m a big spiderman fan and I was curious how some of us mere mortals have come to own the Holy Grail that is Amazing Fantasy 15 with out having to pay a fortune for it. Note that as of yet I’m not one of those lucky few but maybe someday.

BB762699-AFEF-460A-AB76-9555FBA9DDB9.jpeg

Ever watch the 1960 flick "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor?

9,099 posts
4 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

tumblr_nw3g7bG6Js1urxr04o1_500.gif.878db295d853c56c4ab44f47bbcc1c37.gif

8,541 posts

I sold a bunch of ASMs and used the proceeds to buy an AF15. Of course, I only paid $4k for my CGC3.5...

11,084 posts
4 minutes ago, piper said:

I sold a bunch of ASMs and used the proceeds to buy an AF15. Of course, I only paid $4k for my CGC3.5...

Will you be my 401K guru @piper ??

13,888 posts
1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Same.  Although the price I paid 4 years ago would be considered a "bargain" in the current climate.  Still, by far, the most I've ever paid for a comic book. 

My story as well, but I bought mine in 2009.

256 posts

I worked at a comic shop in the mid 70's , a friend of the owner wanted me to grade and price his books, rather than pay me he gave me the af15 for my time( which would have been $95.00 if I was getting paid )

256 posts

I had the book cgc'd it came back 3.5,    I also got the 14 issues before the af15 from him,  they would probably be 3's if I still had them

4,991 posts

I bought a raw in the 1990's for $500.00(and that was a lot of money for me!)that was submitted and came back as a 1.8. Since then I have upgraded to a 2.0 a few years ago before the big spike. At this point upgrading again appears to be out of the question!

506 posts

Similar story to some of the other guys. I bought mine in the late '90s. Got it "cheap" because it has a small amount of color touch, but to this day it's still the most I've ever spent on a comic. I literally saved up for an entire year to pay for it. Had it graded about a year and half ago and it came back as a PLOD 4.0.

45,496 posts

Bought mine off of a buddy in the 80's for peanuts,he needed money.

I wanted the book!

5 posts
9 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Welcome to the boards(thumbsu

Thanks man I’ve been collecting for a while but just recently started collecting comics that used to be out of my price range nothing major by my first “big” purchase is a very low grade ASM 15 and 20 for $130 each that I’m getting signed this weekend by The Man Stan Lee !

5 posts
6 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Haha no but I’m guessing you used a time machine lol

5,584 posts

My 1st was when a friend of mine who knew I sold on ebay asked me to sell his collection.   Because he was a friend I did all of the work for free.  I sold everything he had except the AF15. because I wanted it for myself.  I offered him $1000 for it and he said yes (many years ago).  It was a 1.0.

I've owned many since then but my favorite was getting a call from my daughter 2 years ago who said a friend of hers had one to sell.  I assumed it was a reprint but when I went to look at it it was the real thing. I thought it was about a 4.0/4.5 and offered him $12,000 for it.  He declined.  2 weeks later he said yes and I got it.  It came back from CGC as a 4.0.

I also bought a PLOD Pence 7.0 about 6 years ago and had Matt Nelson remove the "dot" of CT.  It came back as a Blue 7.0.  I was very happy.