• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

:hi: Pat.

I hope that you and your family are well.

If you'll note, my posting has increased; at this rate, I'll reach 1000 posts around 2025.

Quality over Quantity my friend! I hope all has been well and you have had time to work on that amazing Tec run!

13 hours ago, Senormac said:

I've been hanging out there more and more lately myself.  It just feels calmer and slower and more reflective...... or something

Its definitely a place where the wisdom still flows.  I don't participate a lot but I soak up what I can.  You can learn a ton just by reading the GA topics.

14 hours ago, Senormac said:

I've been hanging out there more and more lately myself.  It just feels calmer and slower and more reflective...... or something

Because they aren't afraid to tell you to take the BS to Comics General, and most don't venture out here lol

3 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:
14 hours ago, Senormac said:

Because they aren't afraid to tell you to take the BS to Comics General, and most don't venture out here lol

Gold is funny.  Both ThirdGreenHam and I run grading contests.  We both advertise the contests in Gold but never get a response.

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Gold is funny.  Both ThirdGreenHam and I run grading contests.  We both advertise the contests in Gold but never get a response.

50% of them are still confused there are so many grades other than Good, Fine, and Mint :roflmao:

Edited by The Resurrection

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its the new influx of speculators causing this. They are shaping the hobby now at the same time ruining it. 

It is what it is. Until Marvel and DC wake up and stop producing this state of affairs will just have to 
play out just like it did in the 90s.

I've noticed a couple of people have been selling their entire registry sets lately whether it's on the board here or if they're listing it on Clink. It just makes me wonder if they're trying to cash in now before the crash and if this really is the beginning of the end. Time will tell I guess. 

17 minutes ago, deadleg said:

I've noticed a couple of people have been selling their entire registry sets lately whether it's on the board here or if they're listing it on Clink. It just makes me wonder if they're trying to cash in now before the crash and if this really is the beginning of the end. Time will tell I guess. 

Started a few years ago. When I watched the one collector who is slipping my mind start unloading all of his BA horror runs, I took notice. Since then a few people have cashed out (quietly or otherwise). Which makes me wonder about the stability of the hobby. If you are a collector, common books are cheap as dirt, but keys are insanely high.

17 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Compared to just a few years ago these boards are greater than ever!

many of those who have left believed they were entitled to bash any and all new members due to their longstanding time on the boards

there were no repercussions for those entitled members for this behavior except strikes that disappeared every year so bash away they went ,..sometimes nearly every post...

the results is that they drove away the much needed new lifeblood that all on-line communities need....

The CGC chat boards are GREATER THAN EVER !!

+1

5 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Quality over Quantity my friend! I hope all has been well and you have had time to work on that amazing Tec run!

Pat,

The Tec run is going well, slowly but surely; now 100% but I'm going for that 9.8 on the case when I can find them "cheap" (or just find them).

26 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Pat,

The Tec run is going well, slowly but surely; now 100% but I'm going for that 9.8 on the case when I can find them "cheap" (or just find them).

I am extremely confused at the later popularity of the run we collect. There was like 5 sets and then some heavy collections emerged the past few years.

4 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Started a few years ago. When I watched the one collector who is slipping my mind start unloading all of his BA horror runs, I took notice. Since then a few people have cashed out (quietly or otherwise). Which makes me wonder about the stability of the hobby. If you are a collector, common books are cheap as dirt, but keys are insanely high.

Also with a click of a button you can buy just about any Marvel/DC comic that came out these last 50 years on your Kindle/iPad for under $1.99. This just about kills the thrill of the hunt. With the keys at least they have the value that a common will never get back to do Ebay and digital comics on Amazon. 

5 hours ago, The Resurrection said:
5 hours ago, deadleg said:

Clearly there are different kinds of "collectors" here with completely different mind sets when it comes to the collecting of comic books.

You've got the new generation of CGC collectors who are just so into the CGC Registry that it seems they are really collecting CGC labels as opposed to collecting the underlying comic books themselves.  I believe the mind set of these collectors is much more about the grade and the subsequent value of their books and how much they can sell it for.  Probably a mind set more like a speculator or investor and these so-called collectors are usually never really in the hobby for a long time, as they are just looking to make some money and jump back out into something else.

On the other side, you have the long-time collectors who have been around long before CGC was even a thought in anybody's mind.  These types of collectors have most likely never even gone into the Registry portion of the CGC website.  They also couldn't give a hoot about it or most likely don't even know about it at all as all of their books are still raw.  Especially since they see no reason at all to slab their books yet as they don't have any intention of selling them anytime soon.  hm

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

On the other side, you have the long-time collectors who have been around long before CGC was even a thought in anybody's mind.  These types of collectors have most likely never even gone into the Registry portion of the CGC website.  They also couldn't give a hoot about it or most likely don't even know about it at all as all of their books are still raw.  Especially since they see no reason at all to slab their books yet as they don't have any intention of selling them anytime soon.  hm

It's still funny to me that those collectors are on the CGC Message Board.  Imagine a bunch of guys on a Ferrari website who walk everywhere, always have, and have no need for a car, much less a Ferrari.  It's just funny to me that THIS is the board where they find each other. lol

I really do have to thank the boards for expanding my horizon in collecting. If it wasn’t for the boards, I probably would have never discivored artists like Russ Heath, Bernie Wrightson, Dave Stevens, and Larry Welz. 

14 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I am extremely confused at the later popularity of the run we collect. There was like 5 sets and then some heavy collections emerged the past few years.

Yes, quite a "few" sets of the Tec 401 to 500 run have appeared over the years. Several of the "newer" ones, and at least one of the "original" sets, focus on the books with Adams' covers, while others, I believe, intend to collect the full run.

As we know, it is a great run; with the exorbitant prices for several of the issues, I am glad I purchased my copies on the "cheap" several years ago.

11 hours ago, deadleg said:

I really do have to thank the boards for expanding my horizon in collecting. If it wasn’t for the boards, I probably would have never discivored artists like Russ Heath, Bernie Wrightson, Dave Stevens, and Larry Welz. 

+1

good stuff on these boards and much more to learn. 

I owe these boards for my appreciation for a lot of Golden Age -- pre-Hero DC titles, pre-code Horror, GGA, and more.  So many books I didn't know existed -- or that I didn't know I wanted to own -- until I'd seen them here. :cloud9:

Edited by ChiSoxFan