• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle Romances 11
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

As much as I love collecting - I still have a really hard time grading. 

I'm trying to choose my first books to send to CGC for grading and thought it would be interesting to compare grade with thoughts here.

Inspired by a Golden Age thread I'm picking books that have less than 10 on the census. There are 4 of this one. 

While it presents nice I'm thinking it will get hammered for many flaws:

ink on cover, mitigating rust on outside lower staple, writing on inside page... and I'm not sure about the show through on the inside front cover... 

All opinions and thoughts are much appreciated. 

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

Cool book... I'd be interested to see how it grades because of the ink...not sure how bad that'll hurt it.  Aside from that it looks good for a 5.0 from cgc, who don't seem to mind staple rust that much.  Don't think the interior signature will be counted against it either.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, Raze said:

id agree between 4-5 but id throw in a press it never hurts...if its a professional.

Nice book but given what I have seen recently from CGC, definitely would recommend the pressing to get higher than a 4.0.  

On 11/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, szavisca said:

Cool book... I'd be interested to see how it grades because of the ink...not sure how bad that'll hurt it.  Aside from that it looks good for a 5.0 from cgc, who don't seem to mind staple rust that much.  Don't think the interior signature will be counted against it either.

:whatthe:

i always grade conservative side i'm thinking 3.5 but i hope u do better...

p.s. i read an interesting article from a long time dealer who said he doesn't get any comics slabbed unless there already worth 75.00   So he grades his comic and looks it up and if it comes to at least 75.00 then he sends it off to CGC. I wonder what other people think of that philosophy ?

On 12/26/2017 at 8:45 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

p.s. i read an interesting article from a long time dealer who said he doesn't get any comics slabbed unless there already worth 75.00   So he grades his comic and looks it up and if it comes to at least 75.00 then he sends it off to CGC. I wonder what other people think of that philosophy ?

I think that's low, the cost of slabbing plus shipping back and forth can add 50 bucks or more to the cost of the book, unless you are talking moderns.  The value point where I start considering slabbing is around $500, less if it's a higher grade book, where the difference between raw and slabbed FMV warrants the cost. Low grade books (2.0 and under) I don't slab unless they are four figure books. 

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I've heard $75 - $100 used for modern books since grading a stack will usually cost $20 and if the book is a $10 raw book then a $75 9.8 is a pretty good profit.  A large Value submission can average out to about $30 a book once you factor in shipping so I personally bump my number up to $125 - $150 (actual anticipated selling price of slabbed book).  Most will sell for $25-$35 raw so it pays off to spend the $30 to get an extra $100 in profits.  But everyone has different levels of risk and reward thresholds.