• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the one book you are waiting on.....for the right price.
3 3

89 posts in this topic

I wish it were as simple as one book.

Probably the one I'm lurking the most on currently, waiting for the floor to drop out, is TOS 50.  I mean come on - how long ago was that movie?  And it wasn't even the real Mandarin.

I'm amazed at the price inelasticity of some of these comics long after their movie/tv show hype and fame have faded. Maybe it's just that a bunch of folks speculated on them and refuse to sell for big loss.

Mine will never come down in price because the characters and 1st appearances in them are way too popular regardless of movie/tv show hype and were already high before the movies and TV shows. :cry:

46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Probably the one I'm lurking the most on currently, waiting for the floor to drop out, is TOS 50.  I mean come on - how long ago was that movie?  And it wasn't even the real Mandarin.

True, it wasn’t the real Mandarin, but that book was undervalued until the movie spec brought it some much needed attention. It’s a true key from the run and an important villain’s first appearance. I’m glad I got mine back in 2008. 

X-Men #`1, still saving up for a decent eye-appeal copy. Hoping for something in the 2.0-2.5ish range. Also X-Men #4 in the 4.0-ish range.

True price-wise, NM 87 and 98 to come down to reasonable prices (hah!) to complete my NM run, but that's likely out the window at this point. I'll have to be satisfied with my 2nd print NM 87, I suppose. As for 98, saw someone 8-9 years ago on a street corner with a table of comics set up (gotta love NYC) who had a copy for $25, and still kicking myself for not picking it up. Sadly, it was after I'd stopped buying and before I'd re-started collecting doh!

35 minutes ago, mysterio said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

True, it wasn’t the real Mandarin, but that book was undervalued until the movie spec brought it some much needed attention. It’s a true key from the run and an important villain’s first appearance. I’m glad I got mine back in 2008. 

Yeah - but books are not selling at the current asking price.

1 minute ago, mysterio said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - but books are not selling at the current asking price.

How’s it looking at auction? Lately it seems to me that 95% of books aren’t selling at the crazy asking prices people put on them...

I can only go by GPA, as I don't haunt anywhere except eBay.  Books are not moving, except when heavily discounted...., generally.

I think the movie hype drove a bunch of them out into circulation, and people aren't willing to part with them except at overly-inflated 3-4 years ago prices.

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I can only go by GPA, as I don't haunt anywhere except eBay.  Books are not moving, except when heavily discounted...., generally.

I think the movie hype drove a bunch of them out into circulation, and people aren't willing to part with them except at overly-inflated 3-4 years ago prices.

Depending on what grade you’re looking for check one of the non-nosebleed Clink auctions. One of those that has like 120 pages of stuff like the current one does. Hit enough of those and you’ll have a reasonable shot at that book at FMV or better.