• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miss the days when you could actually trade
2 2

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Trading books has to be tough since one collector has to have what the  other needs and vise virsa at the same time.  And the more vast the collections the harder it gets because wants are very specific.  When we were kids there was a ton of books that were in demand for both people since each person maybe had a long box of books.  Now it just seems to be easier to trade green backs for books.

The only time anybody wants something I have is if I give it away for free :roflmao:

28 minutes ago, Jking3437 said:

I recently traded my daredevil 1 for a detective 359 , I liked batman and the other person like daredevil better 

I think, like someone stated earlier, Key trades are easier than just making trade for run issues.  Glad it worked out for ya, Tec 359 is a great cover.

19 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

I'm always looking to trade, can never find a partner.

Maybe a shower now and then.  A box of chocolates and some foreplay? :foryou: 

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Maybe a shower now and then.  A box of chocolates and some foreplay? :foryou: 

All that and a bag of chips. It's not like I'm looking to take out to a nice sea food dinner and never call again (shrug)

Sigh.  You need some ranch with those chips.

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sigh.  You need some ranch with those chips.

Ranch with ketchup chips? :sick:

:D  Ok - I see you have the foreplay down!

I agree with @Robot Man.  Every once in a while, I will list a key book on Craigslist.  Avengers 4 in VG for example.  I list the price I would like in cash, but I also say that I am interested in trade also.  I don't fault people for trying to trade a bunch of books for my one book, but to me, I've always felt that if I trade, I want "Quality for Quality".  It's interesting to me how many people don't understand that.  

14 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

When I gave up on comics in the early 90s (maybe 1991 or 1992), I traded with a guy I knew (who has since become a full-fledged, multi-store owner). I scored a boatload of Commodore 64 gear and software. I made out like a bandit! I had a whole box of games, disk drives, 2 computers, etc. That chump ended up with a bunch of low-grade garbage from me like ASM 5-13, Avengers 4, Daredevil 2-10, JIM 85, and a handful of single digit and low double-digit FFs. I even got him to take a beater IH 181 that I bought off the stands. For some reason he was not interested in my multiple copies of Legends of the Dark Knight 1.

I still have those LDK 1s, if anyone wants to trade for pet rocks or cassingles or beanie babies. PM me!

Whew!  I've been haunted by my similar trade for years and now I feel like I made out okay.  I began to lose interest in comics in the late 80 as I entered college while my interest in computers and girls started to grow.  I lugged all of my "junk" Silver Age Marvels (and a few DC) to the nearest comic shop and sold them for $450 that I promptly used to buy a Commodore Amiga.  I had to sell my C64 too but it was all worth it!  It had been a few years since I even bothered to look at my run of high grade X-Men #94-135,  X-Men GS #1, my OO unread copies of FF #18-65, Avengers #20-60 (beat up Fine copies), Silver Surfer #1-10 (bought #1 VF from Howard Rogofsky for $27), Marvel Super-Heroes #12, 13, Flash #108-180 as well as a smattering of key books.

At least I came full circle when in 1998 I lugged the computer out of the basement and sold it on ebay for $350 which I promptly reinvested into comics I was bidding on.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I do trades once in a while. Problem is one side usually wants to dump a bunch of junk "in your favor" to get your good books. I trade with a local guy guide for guide once in a while. I just don't show him any of my "over guide" books or stuff I can sell fast. I still manage to get some cool stuff from him from time to time. 

Yeah, I've never been much for trades. Someone is pretty much always going to come up with the short end of the stick. I'd rather just trade my cash for their goods, and vice versa. Simpler.

Nope, I was bad at trading... traded an ASM #1 for a complete set of Nova when I was younger. :sorry:thought it was good at the time though, I was young (9 or 10) and happy to have so much more to read. xD

I would like to find other run collectors for certain series and do some trading that helps us both fill out the runs. Hard to do but if we had an area set up for it that would not get over run by sales threads, it might work out. Seems like any time I've mentioned this thought, others tell me that has been tried and it doesn't work or they stopped it due to lack of interest. Now I understand that a large number of the people here are dealers or comic selling pros -- so they probably are not interested in that type of arrangement. For example-- I have several under copies of Strange Tales and am looking for issues I need for the run. Similar needs in Daredevil-- though the needs in both of these series are getting closer and closer to just needing what many consider key books.

anyway .... it would be cool if you could find others looking to trade books that appreciate the same character/series. Maybe I should try listing this in the WTB section. Not sure. Seems like that forum is over run by people trying to snag keys and super high grade books for pennies on the dollar. Still hurts to think of what I let my FF 52 and ASM 31 go for while I was still a super noob on this forum.

5 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I would like to find other run collectors for certain series and do some trading that helps us both fill out the runs. Hard to do but if we had an area set up for it that would not get over run by sales threads, it might work out. Seems like any time I've mentioned this thought, others tell me that has been tried and it doesn't work or they stopped it due to lack of interest. Now I understand that a large number of the people here are dealers or comic selling pros -- so they probably are not interested in that type of arrangement. For example-- I have several under copies of Strange Tales and am looking for issues I need for the run. Similar needs in Daredevil-- though the needs in both of these series are getting closer and closer to just needing what many consider key books.

anyway .... it would be cool if you could find others looking to trade books that appreciate the same character/series. Maybe I should try listing this in the WTB section. Not sure. Seems like that forum is over run by people trying to snag keys and super high grade books for pennies on the dollar. Still hurts to think of what I let my FF 52 and ASM 31 go for while I was still a super noob on this forum.

My whole sale inventory is open for trades, as they are duplicates/undercopies of my main collection.  I wish others had their inventories up for display so we could do some trading.

As an advanced (old) collector  I may not need many things from the past 40 years, but you can get an idea of what I collect by the inventory.

Anyway, I've always had the door open to trades, and I've stated as much in my sale threads.  "Trades considered - link me to your books!  I’ve recently completed several successful trades!!"