• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the biggest mistake purchase you’ve made?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Spent too much? Bought the wrong item? Swindled? Any advice?

I’m new to collecting and have been going full tilt buying stuff I like. I read all the trades  of Dark Knight returns, dk2, and Dk3.

ive since been trying to collect them all. After I read Master Race I wanted to find the mini comics. I had the first three issues of dk3 but hadn’t opened them because I read the trade already. Well then I found the mini comics for sale and spent a stupid amount of money on them only to find out they are inside the Master Race comics. The seller told me they were rare promotional items. 

I guess my advice to anyone new like me is do your homework before you buy lol

Just bought a book and the seller couldn't grade a book if his life depended on it. My own fault though because the seller has a 95% feedback and I normally will buy from sellers with a 100% feed rating, but even then you have to be pretty picky.. 

Edited by Andthen

On 12/22/2017 at 12:45 AM, oakman29 said:

I walked into Mile High comics when they had a store in Buena Park, Calif. and actually bought books.

Felt dirty , like I was just raped of my money.

I made the same  mistake once! Once!!!! doh!

I paid $1800 once for three Frank Miller signatures, back when he was a recluse.

Now his sigs are nearly as ubiquitous as Stan Lee's.

Well...almost.

Anyway, that one really hurts my butt-button, and I'm quite embarrassed to admit the whole ordeal, to be truthful. lol

Edited by newshane

Just now, Mystafo said:

This is just grand.

BTW, I freakin' love Immortal, and non-operatic black metal in general. :headbang:

21 hours ago, newshane said:

BTW, I freakin' love Immortal, and non-operatic black metal in general. :headbang:

Ha!  Before I got back into comic collecting seriously a little over a year ago, I had spent the last 10 years collecting metal CD's.  One of my goals was to have every black metal album from the 1990's in a first pressing version.  I made it pretty far but I have quit since my budget only allows me to collect one thing at a time.  

There are times when I consider selling my CD's to buy comics, but when I get them out and listen to them on the weekends I realize how much I still love them.  Plus, some of what I got truly is rare and would be very hard to replace if sold.  There really were a ton of overlooked bands in the early to mid 90's with some great albums that have some very minute print runs.  

Take a band as well known as Abigor, for example.  Their first four albums are great, but none were available on ebay the last time I checked.  If the demand were to ever go up, I could foresee the prices of those albums and others like it skyrocketing in the future due to rarity alone.  

7 hours ago, comics4all said:

Thank you! "how's your pancreas, Ma?"

“ did you know your last name is an adverb ?” 

A majority of that movie wouldn’t be quotable with the SJW’s

...regarding overpaying for a comic - avengers 55 - first ultron , was working on the run a few years ago and in hindsight ,should’ve waited until AFTER that movie came out