• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics that never leave the LCS wall

90 posts in this topic

a local LCS has had an IH 181 for $1,300 on the wall for forever and I mean forever. I guess remembering the grade would be important for such a post as this but for the life of me I can't remember it. Doesn't look too terrible but not very great either.

Next time I go I'll remember the grade. It'll still be there. Maybe a Fine + ??

That's a typical price for that grade of book, provided it is in a slab....

I think some people look at it as if your going to spend that kind of dough it needs to be a better grade or at least slabbed

56 minutes ago, NoMan said:

a local LCS has had an IH 181 for $1,300 on the wall for forever and I mean forever. I guess remembering the grade would be important for such a post as this but for the life of me I can't remember it. Doesn't look too terrible but not very great either.

Don't forget to deduct for the sun fade or fluorescent light damage! :banana: 

30 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think some people look at it as if your going to spend that kind of dough it needs to be a better grade or at least slabbed

I refuse to believe She Hulk #1 from the late 70s is a collectable book. Nothing you say, nothing you do.

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I refuse to believe She Hulk #1 from the late 70s is a collectable book. Nothing you say, nothing you do.

But, it's a key first appearance.

No, I agree.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what I meant, sorry for the confusion ha.

It does seem that these seem to sit the longest on sites.  I always assumed it was because if you saved $1000 for a 4.0, why not save another $1000 for an 8.0

I picked up about 7 copies of She Hulk #1 for about 5$ each from a guy in Waco, Texas about 8 months ago.

You still can't convince me it's worth Sh----.  But you know, someone wants to pay my 50$ - 75$ for one, I'll get 'em for five bucks. :ohnoez:

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

My LCS has had a mid-grade X-men #94 sticker priced at $350 for 10 years. Has never sold as the fluorescent light damage is fatal and blanched the cover. :cry:

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

My LCS has had a mid-grade X-men #94 sticker priced at $350 for 10 years. Has never sold as the fluorescent light damage is fatal and blanched the cover. :cry:

fluorescent light blanching - I love it. 

Will use that term from now on if I can remember it! hm

I worked in an office with fluorescent lights for the past 27 years, and it sucked the color out of anything you left out.  Seriously, the Post Its would be dim two months later.  Colored file folders a washed pastel, three months later.  And so on. :p

Back in the late 70s - early 80s, one shop here had a copy of Green Lantern 76 up for sale at £100, which never sold.  That would've worked out to around $200.

An understandably slow mover as, in its condition, you could've found one for £8 at the time.

Edited by Ken Aldred

First thing that immediately popped into my head.... Back in the late 80's/early 90's I used to frequent Oxford Bookstore in Atlanta and their breakaway shop, Oxford Too, which had used books and comics. They had a tall glass display case with a beautiful signed limited edition cloth hardback copy of Watchmen dominating the top shelf. Along with it, they had several shelves of vague older stuff that I was a little numb to at the time (which were all likely experiencing that same fluorescent light fade over the years) and, every once in a while, a hot book that had broken out (I remember the Sam Hamm anniversary issues of 'Tec getting the glass showcase treatment for $10 each the week they came out meh). 

That Watchmen book was always something I lusted after, though,... and it never sold. They had it priced I think at $425, which was a phenomenal amount of money then and I'm not sure there was any basis for that price, I think they just put it there as an attention-getter and to taunt people (namely me). I always made it a point when I stopped in to check on that book and it stuck around for at least 10 years (same price tag the whole time). It became an old familiar friend yet also a point of triumph for me on each return to make sure that book still hadn't sold and that some boob hadn't actually shelled out their ridiculous asking price. Meanwhile I moved on through high school and college, but it never budged from its pedestal. The shop moved, then moved again, and the book moved right along with it. I'm not sure if it eventually sold or they shuffled it away during the crash recovery of the early 2000's, but at some point the comic shop (now all that's left of the great Oxford name) transitioned toward Manga, trades and pop culture in general, de-emphasizing their back issue stock. They replaced most of their showcase stock in accordance with their change in focus and I believe the book may now finally be gone. It seems like the last time I was in there to check the place out was after the movie had hit, so I assumed it sold when movie hype caught up with it. Who knows, maybe the book is actually worth that now, and maybe they were just 20 years ahead of the curve hm

Comic shop near me has an Amazing Spider-Man #252 in high grade that is in a glass case sitting directly next to the front window. And yes, sunlight streams in and hits it. Maybe they figure the advertising they get from it being visible from outside is worth the damage to the comic? It's still painful for me to see it.

I can't understand how any LCS would not use a photocopy of the book to protect the real book behind it. I would use this method and between book and copy place something significant that reduced light. Or better yet-- have the books stored out of light entirely with the copies alerting people to the book being available to check out for purchase.