• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you slab??
1 1

Slab  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you slab??

• For added dollar value/resell
    • It’s a memorable book
    • It looks pretty
    • Private collection
    • Others??

64 posts in this topic

1. Accuracy of grade

2. Avoiding restoration on old books.  There's been a lot of tricks over the past 50+ years and I don't want to get burned.  I wonder if anyone has written a thorough guide on detecting restoration.  

Generally any book over $100 seems like a pretty good idea just to get a graded one than take the risk on a raw.  For me, anyway.  

I started off slabbing to sell but for me, my raw books move much faster and now I  slab for my personal collection. Every now and then, I'll try the CPR game or do the math for raw+press+slab=PROFIT, except I tend to come out even or the % profit isn't worth it. 

I often slab to chase 9.8s because people on these boards corrupted me. 

I prefer raw books, but if a slabbed  copy of a Silver or Bronze Age I need is available for a good deal, I'll buy it. I used to break them out of the slabs,  because it just bothered me for the book to be out of place, but I've learned to just deal with it now. I only own a few Golden Age Superman's, and I slabbed them because of the size difference to everything else. I got my ASM 1 signed by Stan Lee, so I wanted to protect and authenticate it, and my Avengers 1 is currently at CGC. I almost had an accident with it and decided I need to protect it. I'll slab any other books like those two if I ever acquire them, but the rest will stay raw, lined up in perfect order.

I prefer slabs due to easy storage and more secure handling. I own a few books raw, but when I buy the raws, I always contemplate signature series. I wouldn't buy slabs to crack out for SS. Some people must get really good deals to buy a 9.6 submit for pressing to get a bump. That roll of the dice intimidates me beyond belief....

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I prefer slabs due to easy storage and more secure handling.

I don't think a CGC case helps with storage at all.  A short box holds 100+ books.  A CGC box holds 35-40 slabs.  Not directing this at Adamantium, but it confuses me when people get rid of run filler because it takes up too much room, and then slab all the keys and significant issues, which ends up taking about the same amount of space... ???

37 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I don't think a CGC case helps with storage at all.  A short box holds 100+ books.  A CGC box holds 35-40 slabs.  Not directing this at Adamantium, but it confuses me when people get rid of run filler because it takes up too much room, and then slab all the keys and significant issues, which ends up taking about the same amount of space... ???

I can't speak for others, but when I say "easy storage", I don't necessarily mean space. More like peace of mind. Less concern about page quality or other damage. Also you can stack slabs horizontally without fear of a spine roll. I feel more comfortable using bubble wrap to fill a not quite full box of slabs rather than fragile raws.

I usually buy slabbed anyway, to answer op question.... I don't mind buying raw, IF it is a story that I haven't read yet, for SS, or it's a good deal and also if it is the only option due to it being a modern. But I prefer slab in the end, i guess that would clarify :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/27/2018 at 11:39 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i have mentioned this before how fun it is to get a box back from CGC .... !!!

it floors me when people say how they can't wait to see their comic grades on-line ... what a waste of three months anticipation,,

when i get a box of 15 comics back from CGC i never look at the grades on-line and i only look at one comic per day from the box randomly reached into and pulled out ..

i look at this comic for as long as i can with the grade covered up .. enjoying it and trying to guess the grade , sometimes i put it down and come back to it later in the day...

by now the anticipation is deafening , and eventually i will reveal the grade !!! sometimes it is a bit disappointing  but other times it is exhilarating !!

delayed gratification is an extremely integral and important part of life ! many millennials have absolutely no idea of this concept

then i enjoy looking at it a  bit more now knowing its grade and start thinking about the next day when i can look at another comic and have some fun and anticipation !!

sometimes i can't help it and will look at another graded comic on the same day but never more than two in one day,,,... i mean why waste all that time acquiring the raw comics over the past year or so... then submitting and waiting three more months just for instant 15 second look of the grades on-line or an instead look at all 15 comics upon opening the box at home...????

a box of 15 comics back from CGC can provide up to two weeks of this type of fun for less than the cost of a couple nights out on the town with a date...

I really love this idea - I'm also a huge believer in being intentional about how to "maximize happiness" in experiences, and delayed gratification is a great example of this. I wish I had the discipline to do this - maybe I'll try it the next time I do a sub.

For me, I slab primarily for longevity of my keys for my personal collection. I like to know that it's a certain grade, and that if I needed to sell, I could do so (hopefully) more easily (and for full value) than if I kept raw. While I do some slabbing myself, given the availability of key raws of the types of books I'm interested in, I find it's generally cheaper to just buy keys already slabbed.

Private Collection for me.  I like slabbing major keys that i've wanted since I was a kid because these are books that I'd like to preserve and I just think a slab will offer more protection than a mylar bag/full back.  They're also books that I would 100% never open again in order to preserve the grade and it just looks better in the frame than the bag.  Also, for books I get signed, CGC SS basically offers up a level of authenticity which might matter 40 years from now should I decide it's time to start moving my collection.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:31 AM, combiner1 said:

This being a CGC website.... I’m curious as to why people slab there books

Because I'm mentally ill and have more money than brains. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i have mentioned this before how fun it is to get a box back from CGC .... !!!

it floors me when people say how they can't wait to see their comic grades on-line ... what a waste of three months anticipation,,

when i get a box of 15 comics back from CGC i never look at the grades on-line and i only look at one comic per day from the box randomly reached into and pulled out ..

i look at this comic for as long as i can with the grade covered up .. enjoying it and trying to guess the grade , sometimes i put it down and come back to it later in the day...

by now the anticipation is deafening , and eventually i will reveal the grade !!! sometimes it is a bit disappointing  but other times it is exhilarating !!

delayed gratification is an extremely integral and important part of life ! many millennials have absolutely no idea of this concept

then i enjoy looking at it a  bit more now knowing its grade and start thinking about the next day when i can look at another comic and have some fun and anticipation !!

sometimes i can't help it and will look at another graded comic on the same day but never more than two in one day,,,... i mean why waste all that time acquiring the raw comics over the past year or so... then submitting and waiting three more months just for instant 15 second look of the grades on-line or an instead look at all 15 comics upon opening the box at home...????

a box of 15 comics back from CGC can provide up to two weeks of this type of fun for less than the cost of a couple nights out on the town with a date...

You just made me feel normal....whatever normal is. Getting my first box of books back from CGC was like Christmas morning. Now, I didn't take a week to look at them all but I did randomly reach into the box with my head turned and slowly pull a book out one at a time to see how it graded. Absolutely loved the experience. I'm waiting for two more submissions now and the wait is KILLING me.

Now as far as why I slab. Many reasons. My collection (about 3,000) books has been sitting in my basement mostly untouched for about 30yrs. I had a blast going through them all and seeing what had value (ASM 300 & New Mutants 87) and what didn't (anyone need 20 copies of Justice League Europe #1?). I decided to start submitting books with the hopes of making a few dollars. With each batch I'm including some books that I have no intention of selling because I can vividly remember buying them with my Dad (Hulk 181 & ASM 129) or I just love the cover(X-Men 263 & GI Joe #2). These books I'll display. 

I generally slab to sell. With the exception of one specific set that I wanted to own in 9.8 (my Aliens 1-6 set, and those I purchased slabbed rather than submitting myself) I only collect raw, because personally, the difference in a 9.4 and a 9.8 doesn't matter that much to me. If it's sharp and presents well in a mylar, I'm generally happy enough. In the past I did slab a few things with the intention of keeping them, but slabbing them made them so much easier to sell, I couldn't avoid the temptation. So the truth is, if I keep it raw, I'm much more likely to keep it for myself. If it's nice enough to warrant slabbing, it's nicer than I need to own.

Don't slab a lot, haven't in over a year but when I do:

1. Signature series, mostly for PC.

2. HG keys/semi-keys, mostly for PC

3. Increase resale value of SS and/or HG books I acquired with intent to sell.

Edited by jcjames

4 minutes ago, tv horror said:

This may be a noob question but are you charged more for a rare comic to be slabbed compared to a lesser known title.  

No it is only by year and value. For those that are so rare there is no data of sales...(shrug) perhaps overstreet. But it's by year and then "value" once graded...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Thank you Adamantium it is just that I've watched a video on Youtube were a guy is looking at slabs and regretting sending in the lesser keys because they never got the grade they wanted as if it's a waste of money or possibly not enough profit in resale. By the way I wonder did the word Adamantium exist before Adam Ant the singer "Stand and deliver!"xD