• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most classic, non-Baker, romance covers?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There are GA books that I collect not because I like the art or the stories all that much but just because they are kind of cool and hard to find.  EC romance would be Exhibit A in this category.  I'm not a Feldstein fan and don't think he did a good job with the romance covers.  This one is probably my favorite and I sure would like to find a nicer copy. :)

MdnLv_5_35_zpstyr9bf9v-2.JPG

Like this one? B|

fc 1.jpg

58 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There are GA books that I collect not because I like the art or the stories all that much but just because they are kind of cool and hard to find.  EC romance would be Exhibit A in this category.  I'm not a Feldstein fan and don't think he did a good job with the romance covers.  This one is probably my favorite and I sure would like to find a nicer copy. :)

MdnLv_5_35_zpstyr9bf9v-2.JPG

Like this one? B|

fc 1.jpg

Knowing Tony, I think he wants one nicer than that.

Just now, Ricksneatstuff said:
17 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I hear the beeping sound of the Brinks truck backing up to someone's house for one of the two nicer copies. 

The cool thing with ECs is there are lots of raw collections out there. The romance is definitely the hardest to find of the publisher's output, but patience is a wonderful thing. There are two nicer graded copies for now but if any books have potential for high grade copies coming to market the EC books would head that list. Congrats on your 8.0. it is indeed beautiful and hard to find in that grade. But from a census standpoint its position is very vulnerable.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

The cool thing with ECs is there are lots of raw collections out there. The romance is definitely the hardest to find of the publisher's output, but patience is a wonderful thing. There are two nicer graded copies for now but if any books have potential for high grade copies coming to market the EC books would head that list. Congrats on your 8.0. it is indeed beautiful and hard to find in that grade. But from a census standpoint its position is very vulnerable.

Well, I have looked for a copy for a while. It has been a tough one for me. Now, somebody hook me up with a mid grade or better a Moon, A Girl..Romance 12 and I will be all set. 

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
24 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I hear the beeping sound of the Brinks truck backing up to someone's house for one of the two nicer copies. 

Yep.  Selling it now to me would appear to be the only safe option. :)

7 minutes ago, GoldCap said:

5a8b5ec2372ed_LoveJournal10.thumb.jpg.94deb5a46df0ddf2fc4211c082ad71bb.jpg

I was going to say Sweethearts #119 as well but does Marilyn Monroe being on a cover automatically make it classic?  Eh...

Never seen this cover.  It's creepy, sad, chaotic, devilishly accusatory, beautifully composed and I'm sure there are other descriptors and yet I can't turn away - it captivates me.  I like it.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, path4play said:

Yah?  You saying these are from Frank Frazetta's own collection?

That is ridiculous cool.  Is there mention on label (label close up...:wishluck:)

Frazetta packed away several copies of each issue.  They went up for auction on Heritage not too long ago.  I'm cheap, so I was only able to obtain the copies without his signature on the cover (those are really neat).  They do have a label notation.  The 9.0 of #28 is a file copy (and not Frazetta's).  It's my favorite (barely beating out #32) so I needed a high grade copy.

They're packed away right now, but the great thing about Heritage is that you can view all these past goodies that you missed at auction!

3 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

I just picked up this one recently, love the scene

C7F16C8D-A9FD-44D6-90E2-333BEBBAAD50.jpeg

that's a heck of a Pike, a nice copy, and the interior art of the books in '53 was just outstanding.  The Atlas guys were getting jazzed by the creative work Toth was doing, Colletta in particular.