• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

Just  Horrible news..he always was great to me when I worked shows always shook my hand and made sure I left with a snack. I still retell the jokes he told me during breakdowns .. he'll be missed 

A true comic book collector filled with passion for our hobby here with lots of stories to tell from the early days.

Definitely a huge and sad loss to our comic collecting community here and one who left us way too early.

Condolences to his family and loved ones and may he tell his endless stories at the big comic convention in the sky.  :angel:

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

While I never got to shake his hand I will mourn his loss because as fellow comic collectors even if we don’t know each other we share a bond and I would be proud to call him my friend.

My thoughts brother. Though his flame has been extinguished, he will long live in the hearts of all that knew him.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Before moving to Texas, John had a comic shop on Main Street in Alhambra, CA.  When I visited my aunt, I would walk from her apartment house to John’s shop.  We would always talk about shop when I saw him at SDCC, NYCC, or Chicago.

RIP

Edited by BitterOldMan

I can't believe it. Rest In Peace John. Just as others have expressed, I always found John with a smile on his face, good sense of humor, was very accessible to fans and his knowledge of the hobby was second to none. He's advertised his Comic Heaven auctions in every edition of Overstreet since the early 70's. One of the true pillars of our hobby. Nice nice nice man. 

Oh man so sad to hear. I first met John back in 1984 when we would both sell comics at the Ambassador hotel in LA. 

He could take a stack of 200 randomly priced comic and zip through them in a heartbeat and give you the exact total.

Thanks for all the great memories. Prayers for the family. I'll miss you John. RIP 

Edited by lhcomics