• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

The only way one was amassing thousands of Gold and Silver Age books by the time you were 14, even in the early 70s, was if Dad was buying you everything you wanted.

Ya that's true but start collecting when you turn 4 ?

http://www.comicheaven.net/id18.html

Edited by woowoo

The scan is from Overstreet 30, published in 2000.  The ad stretches across five pages, but the first three are just text.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

22 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Thanks! I'm looking, specifically, for the ad with his daughter, that ran for many years in Overstreet. I have a full run of Overstreet, they're just in storage and I was looking to post that specific ad in a little RIP post tomorrow since it was so memorable to me. 

I have that pic you want  and a lot of old overstreet from the 80's but Sqeggs, posted it first :taptaptap: :bigsmile:

I got this pic from the board few month ago. I wanted to call him on the price for the Action 12

image_jpg5_zpsjvweygrr.jpg

Edited by woowoo

It's strange to know a man only by what you have heard of him through others and through the world he inhabited.  

I too never met the man...... but I heard of him.  And it was always good news.  

RIP  

I can only second what everyone else has said - a true class act and a gentleman.

First met him when I was part of the grading team for the first Sotheby's comic auction in 1991 and was amazed at how knowledgeable and friendly he was. The last couple of times I saw him was in Dallas when he could come by the Heritage poster auctions and he would remember everything we had talked about before and was  ready to tell me new and amazing stories.

He will be sorely missed.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

The scan is from Overstreet 30, published in 2000.  The ad stretches across five pages, but the first three are just text.

And he's got pretty much the exact same ad and picture with another 5-page spread in this year's edition of the guide.

The only difference being that "the last ten years" has now morphed into "the last 30 years".  (thumbsu

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Comic Heaven is quite appropriate - you will be missed, John.

Yes, definitely very appropriate. 

I am sure that he is presiding over Comic Heaven in his after life right now, as he had been presiding over it in his real life prior to this.   :angel:  (thumbsu

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/Facebook/comicbookmemories/comicheaven/comicheaven.html

...... some cool Verzyl stories from my pal Lewis' website..... he was good friends with John and is a bit down about it right now....... for me, I see the picture of his son who has just lost his Father and his best friend... makes me want to cry..... and for the record, I'm not buying the 1961 birth date either..... I'd guess somewhere in the mid 50's..... but it doesn't matter, he made his mark..... and we all loved and envied him.... :foryou: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

20 years old there................. I was still laying out of work a couple days a week at that age ..... and still under my parents roof. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Man had a passion and drive - glad he spent a life doing something he loved.  

Sad he left this world far too soon.