• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

More than anything else, this makes me want to hire her agent.

Because it takes mad skill to finalize and announce a deal like this for your client just five days after A Wrinkle In Time bombs.

That's roughly equivalent to announcing Andrew Stanton was set to direct Guardians of the Galaxy five days after John Carter opened.

probably a two-fer, promised she could deliver Oprah as Granny Goodness

I guess we should be very concerned. The director is too focused on the source material, and knowing the backstories of the characters. Run!

Ava DuVernay begins her ‘New Gods’ research, shares image from issue #1

New-Gods-1-Ava.jpg?quality=85&strip=info

Last week it was announced that Ava DuVernay would direct New Gods for Warner Bros. and DC Comics and the director isn’t wasting any time in preparing for her new job.

DuVernay posted the image above in an Instagram Story tonight. It’s a page from “The New Gods #1” which was released on February 3rd, 1971.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

I guess we should be very concerned. The director is too focused on the source material, and knowing the backstories of the characters. Run!

Last week it was announced that Ava DuVernay would direct New Gods for Warner Bros. and DC Comics and the director isn’t wasting any time in preparing for her new job.

DuVernay posted the image above in an Instagram Story tonight. It’s a page from “The New Gods #1” which was released on February 3rd, 1971.

Hahaha, typical way-over-the-top reactions in this thread (oh, just like in every thread, I suppose).

It ain’t life-or-death (surprise!).

It's all just speculation of course, but my gut is it misses the mark. They should have departed from the formula here, hired the Coen Brothers, and gave them a stack of Jimmy Olsen -- set a pair of truly creative lunatics on The Newsboy Legion, Jimmy, Dubbilex, the Guardian, AND Virman Vundebarr, Glorious Godfrey, Granny Goodness, etc!  :headbang:

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It's all just speculation of course, but my gut is it misses the mark. They should have departed from the formula here, hired the Coen Brothers, and gave them a stack of Jimmy Olsen -- set a pair of truly creative lunatics on The Newsboy Legion, Jimmy, Dubbilex, the Guardian, AND Virman Vundebarr, Glorious Godfrey, Granny Goodness, etc!  :headbang:

:headbang:  :headbang:  :headbang:

Yes, yes, and yes again...infinitely preferable to yet another paint-by-numbers CGI-bloated "blockbuster"...

Edited by jools&jim

On 3/21/2018 at 1:14 AM, Readcomix said:

To be honest (and I’m not a fan of the comics), but I think you would have to do something completely original with this property. If you even come close to the source property,  it’s going look corny and the average person won’t get it. Even then, I just don’t think the themes are characters of new gods would translate well today  

During a recent Q&A, DuVernay was asked to provide an update on New Gods, and revealed that the film is "in early development and feeling good."

In a later tweet, DuVernay revealed that she actually was the one to pitch the movie to those at DC and Warner Bros., as opposed to the other way around.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:06 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Not to sound like a prophet of doom but isn't anybody concerned with the performance of "A Wrinkle In Time"?  I don't see anything in her movie portfolio that makes me go "WOW".

The New Gods is a complicated story for the general audience to understand without individual movies to introduce some of the main characters.  You have to explain the son of Darkseid story which includes Highfather, Kalibak, and Orion...at a minimum.

The closest movie comparison I can think of is the Inhumans:sick:.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:58 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This.

More than anything else, this makes me want to hire her agent.

Because it takes mad skill to finalize and announce a deal like this for your client just five days after A Wrinkle In Time bombs.

That's roughly equivalent to announcing Andrew Stanton was set to direct Guardians of the Galaxy five days after John Carter opened.

A lot of the budget of that movie was burned in its time in development hell.

Ryan Coogler had only Creed ($107m) to go by before his big break with Black Panther.

The Russo Brothers had You, Me and DuPree ($75m) as their biggest hit before they got Winter Soldier.

Joss Whedon had a successful TV career, but his biggest movie before the Avengers was Serenity at $25m (on a $39m budget)

Before Christopher Nolan got Batman Begins, his biggest hit was Insomnia at $67m (on a $46m budget)

Patty Jenkins, before she got Wonder Woman had 'Monster' with a whopping $34m Box Office.

Sam Raimi before he got Spider-man, had his biggest box office with 'For The Love of The Game' at $35m with an $89m budget. In fact, his last couple of movies leading up to Spider-man all did under budget. Maybe he has the same agent?

On 3/19/2018 at 4:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ugh. Seeing this reminds me of how horrible the artwork was in all of the 4th world books. In some panels it looked like the characters were melting it was so poorly drawn. I am not a Kirby fan and have always felt his artwork was overrated (but not his contribution to comics as a co-creator of some of the most popular characters of all time), but his work on these titles seemed rushed. At that stage of his career it was too much work and not enough time.

Edited by kimik

33 minutes ago, kimik said:

Ugh. Seeing this reminds me of how horrible the artwork was in all of the 4th world books. In some panels it looked like the characters were melting it was so poorly drawn. I am not a Kirby fan and have always felt his artwork was overrated (but not his contribution to comics as a co-creator of some of the most popular characters of all time), but his work on these titles seemed rushed. At that stage of his career it was too much work and not enough time.

sc4qmi37tm18.jpeg

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Ryan Coogler had only Creed ($107m) to go by before his big break with Black Panther.

The Russo Brothers had You, Me and DuPree ($75m) as their biggest hit before they got Winter Soldier.

Joss Whedon had a successful TV career, but his biggest movie before the Avengers was Serenity at $25m (on a $39m budget)

Before Christopher Nolan got Batman Begins, his biggest hit was Insomnia at $67m (on a $46m budget)

Patty Jenkins, before she got Wonder Woman had 'Monster' with a whopping $34m Box Office.

Sam Raimi before he got Spider-man, had his biggest box office with 'For The Love of The Game' at $35m with an $89m budget. In fact, his last couple of movies leading up to Spider-man all did under budget. Maybe he has the same agent?

I understand your point...I honestly do.  But for every successful example you put forth there's a Josh Trank (Fantastic Four) and Carl Rinsch (47 Ronin).  So finding a good director is a toss up but I like to hedge on the side of the ones with a more successful record.

***I'm still upset that I spent money to see 47 Ronin in theaters:sick:

19 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

***I'm still upset that I spent money to see 47 Ronin in theaters:sick:

After I rented this with a free Redbox coupon, I wanted my coupon back. So sorry to hear you paid for it.

:foryou:

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Here's why those analogies don't hold:

Immediately before being offered New Gods, Ana Du Vernay had already had her shot -- and missed (big-time), with A Wrinkle in Time.

So the better analogy would be seeing Josh Trank's failure with FF, and immediately having a studio turn around and give him $200 million to make a Teen Titans movie.

This isn't an indie-auteur being offered a big-budget franchise -- this is someone who had already helmed a big-budget movie that tanked -- losing the studio tens of millions in the process and killing any sequel/franchise hopes.

And FYI -- the Russo Brothers' biggest pre-Winter Soldier hit was TV's Arrested Development, not You, Me and Dupree.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Immediately before being offered New Gods, Ana Du Vernay had already had her shot -- and missed (big-time), with A Wrinkle in Time.

So the better analogy would be seeing Josh Trank's failure with FF, and immediately having a studio turn around and give him $200 million to make a Teen Titans movie.

This isn't an indie-auteur being offered a big-budget franchise -- this is someone who had already helmed a big-budget movie that tanked -- losing the studio tens of millions in the process and killing any sequel/franchise hopes.

And FYI -- the Russo Brothers' biggest pre-Winter Soldier hit was TV's Arrested Development, not You, Me and Dupree.

i thought they were hired due to the paintball episodes of Community.  btw, i don't agree big box office equates to "hire this guy" or else Michael Bay would be directing every single one of these.  Coogler had made two great movies, Christopher Nolan was obviously a directorial genius, Jenkins was one for one and had directed an Oscar winning performance, Raimi's Evil Dead movies proved he had talent.  Conversely, Snyder looked like the right guy and then he pooped the bed thrice.

Edited by paperheart

I saw Wrinkle in Time the weekend it came out. It was good but not great. The John Carter example I like, because the studios killed that movie...its (lack of) success had little to do with the content, which was pretty good. My eldest daughter loved it and the rest of us liked it pretty good. Same as Wrinkle in Time. My girls and wife know who Ava is and are looking forward to New Gods and anything else she does. Her ability to handle the movie is not the same thing as making a sure fire blockbuster...the first is easier to judge and she meets that criteria well. Wrinkle in Time had some truly outstanding sequences and was a visual feast. It suffered a bit in the storytelling at times but then again, most superhero movies seem to require this disjointed fustercluckedness.

I for one look forward to New Gods in her hands. 

16 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sam Raimi's four films leading up to Spider-man:

1995 Quick and the Dead $32m budget - $18m domestic box office. Loss.

1998 A Simple Plan $30m budget - $16m domestic box office. Loss.

1999 For the Love of The Game - $80m budget - $35m at the box office. Loss.

2000 The Gift - $10m budget - $12m domestic box office - The Winner! Sort of.

His Evil Dead movies made money off of small budgets, but none of them ever broke $12m domestic. 

And what about James Gunn?

He had Slither ($15m budget - $7m domestic gross), Super ($2.5m budget - $327,716 domestic!), and Movie 43 (partial director - $6m budget with $8m box office)

3 movies with a combined budget of over $23m that did a whole $16m.

He turned out ok with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

What about Jon Watts on Spider-man: Homecoming, check out his 'credentials'

Or Taika Waititi?

Tim Miller had never directed anything before Deadpool.

Marc Webb had a $32m movie before he was handed the Amazing Spider-man franchise.

Plenty of bad showings and nobodies who got huge franchises to direct. And nobody is exactly beating down the door to do New Gods.