• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Copper/Modern Comics Ever Be “Scarce”?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

A quick look at ebay

Gold: 103,587 listings, 1668 being bid on. (1.6%)

Silver: 318,114 listings, 3,368 being bid on (1.06%)

Bronze:  463,788 listings,  3,881 being bid on (0.837%)

Copper: 285,361 listings 1483 being bid on (0.52%)

Modern: 1,634,594 listings  4,775 being bid on (0.292%)

Don't know what this says about demand or scarcity, but it's interesting that the demand interest (percent of books being bid on) is (generally speaking) linear, decreasing as we move from older to newer.

I think the whole number you're showing includes BIN and auctions, only the latter can attract bid activity...or did you calculate your 'bid activity' percentages on auctions only?

Edited by bababooey
clarity

Just now, bababooey said:

I think the whole number you're showing includes BIN and auctions, only the latter can attract bid activity...or did you calculate your percentages on auctions only?

Ooo good point. Off to recalculate

They may never be scarce, but they do sell.

I'm at Awesome Con in DC this weekend.

It's 25 years after the comic bust of 1993.

And Superman 75 is an easy sale at $10.

Spawn 1 moves at $8-10.

I hated myself on Friday when I paid $5 for a Youngblood # 1. This was the first mass-speculated book I ever saw -- to the extent that the day it was released, my LCS (which had ordered literally 1,000 copies) had signs out that said "Youngblood # 1 - Limit 5 per customer."

Why did I buy it? It's now a $90 book in CGC 9.8.

Even New Mutants # 100 is selling at $10. I don't know anyone collecting comic books that month who didn't buy at least two copies. 

So will they ever be strict "scarce?" (25-50 copies known?) No. Of course not.

But it continually amazes me that -- eBay and all -- 25 years later some of the highest-printed books ever are legitimately selling for what they do.

Edited by Gatsby77

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, when they become lumped into golden age in the year 2200

Nah, Bob Overstreet's head will still be running the OPG and refusing to acknowledge a split of the Modern Age (1992 - 2200) into smaller, reasonable groups.

Maybe they will be in 5,000 years, but not anytime soon. Pre1960s comic books were just not saved, they were disposable throw away entertainment and made with cheap, bad quality materials that don't survive long and no one saved them at all. 90 percent of golden age comics were read to pieces and tossed and rotted away long before anyone ever thought to save and collect them. Also modern comics are made with stable papers that will last much longer and not rot and turn to dust in a couple decades like newsprint and cheap papers old comics were printed on.

As far as the actual number of copies available, then NO! ...not unless a paper drive happens or global destruction.

As far as market demand "making" them hard to find to buy..i.e. "Man, there are a million copies of Spawn #1 out there but it's been 2  years since I've seen one for sale..."in any grade"!!  NO!! Not going to happen ..IMHYWO.

When it comes to Copper\ Modern age books . I personally seek out the low production books. The Crow 1-4 by Caliber, Men in Black Aircel,etc. That's my thing. Finding books that were made in low numbers.

It does seem ridiculous that the modern era hasn't been split up  yet. The 90s alone, from the debut of Image through the bust until maybe something like Walking Dead #1 seems like a really good era to split off. I mean it is 2018. Almost fifteen years since WD1. Entire previous eras didn't last that long.

We are in an era now of smaller print runs, more diversity than ever in publishers, genres, etc. The Marvel cinematic universe impacting the entire industry. It's just a little silly to be calling everything from just prior to Image to now all one Modern era.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:06 PM, miraclemet said:

Ooo good point. Off to recalculate

I think there is more sniping on moderns. Old people who buy GA may not know how to use sniping software. So bids may not be reflected.

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, speedcake said:

It does seem ridiculous that the modern era hasn't been split up  yet. The 90s alone, from the debut of Image through the bust until maybe something like Walking Dead #1 seems like a really good era to split off. I mean it is 2018. Almost fifteen years since WD1. Entire previous eras didn't last that long.

We are in an era now of smaller print runs, more diversity than ever in publishers, genres, etc. The Marvel cinematic universe impacting the entire industry. It's just a little silly to be calling everything from just prior to Image to now all one Modern era.

Great post!

Modern and copper comics really shouldn't be labeled together.

The current modern comics have much lower print runs than copper comics had.

Hottest comics in the market right now are modern comics Amazing Spider-Man #794 and up.

I would say modern comics are the hottest comics for the simple reason they bring in the most collectors into the store every week.

Modern weekly comics create interest and brings in new readers.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Dunno... I sold a Spider-man 1 Green and Black in a CGC 9.9 as a pair for $1000.  I was happy.  Someone wanted them bad enough. 

GI Joe 21 is always in demand and that had a large print run. 

There is a lot of drek in every age but there are always some gems amongst it. 

11 hours ago, speedcake said:

Almost like books from "The 90s" should be called "The 1990s" and then "The 2000s" and then "The 2010s"... but if we let the industry 'experts' decide we'll get something about decreasingly-valued metals. :kidaround: