• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've done something like this before and I do not know if the board member who bought the book wants to be publicly named since he does not post often if at all.  The seller though?  I don't think he will care. 

@jsilverjanet was selling a Hulk 181 about a year ago and I knew my friend was in the market for one.  He looked at it on my account and decided it was the book for him.  I contacted Hector and told him that I would back up the sale as my friend formed the account on the boards to take the book.   Hector took the book down as sold.  My friend bought the book and he was happy.  (I did not ask for nor want a penny for this).

If my friend did not follow through and buy the book... I, Andrew, am buying another Hulk 181.   I attached my name to it. Therefore my word needs to be good and not conditional. 

A committed sale is a committed sale and if you attach your name to the sale then you are part of it and should back it up. 

Came back a 4.5 btw... he is beyond happy. 

You're a stand up guy , some are not.

9 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

The fact that this guy can't cover $675 to not only make good on his insufficiently_thoughtful_person brother on the deal but his boardie reputation means he is a loser and a minimum wage peasant.  This guy sounds like he is one rent check away from being homeless.  I hope starting now he actually does become homeless.  

I would out this guy and his home address.  

Jordysnordy is a good boardie.  When bad things happen to good boardies I want terrible things to happen to the people who cause it!

Careful, thin ice I think.

This guy is a total D-Bag.  Along with many others, I will never deal with this guy once he is known to me.

If I was him, I would hang the return shipping on his "friend", since his "friend" is the one who supposedly backed out of the deal.

Edited by aszumilo

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Yet another update - box - that I hope contains all of the books lol - has been sent to Randall with the tracking number.

Randall with send me a picture of the box when he receives it so I can look at it and make sure it is the box I had sent and that it has not been opened/tampered with.

Every and I mean every PM has been replied to.

Thanks for all of the support. This truly is a great community we have :foryou:

Now that you have a tracking number for the books being sent, is there some reason you are making everyone pm you for the boardie's name?

We all make transactions on this board, and have the PL list and HoS, to protect each other as much as ourselves.  We rely on feedback from each other. If we don't help one another by supplying information, both good and bad, then we don't support the community. The only person who is helped by not being named publicly, is the shady boardie.  It doesn't help us.  It doesn't help anyone who hasn't read all of this thread.  It's one thing to withhold a name to give the person a chance to resolve the situation.  That ship sailed.  It's one thing to wait until the goods are in the air so to speak.  That ship's sailed.  What we are left with is what seems to me an unnecessary hoop to jump through, which not everyone will, that partially shields a buyer who is clearly one for which people should be forewarned.  Not on a case by case basis, but forwarned for all to see.

Edited by SteppinRazor

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:22 AM, comicdonna said:

I amazed that some will trade their reputation here for dollars.  My reputation isn't for sale.    

(tsk) That's not what you told Stormy Cloudz?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, Number 6 said:

Anonymity is a wonderful thing 

It’s amazing the things people will say and do when they think it can’t be traced back to them. 

So much for our wonderful nights in Thailand, #6.  I thought I was special.

A very interesting thread and a heck of a study of human nature in a small dedicated community. I personally focused on one issue a bit different from all the issues and opinions mentioned. and that is I am surprised how ignorant the 'middle man" is of how very very close he came to committing fraud. If the contents of that box are not as expected, it is Fraud, and his own emails detail the actions nicely. There is only one description I can think of for the actions to date, and that is stupidity.

You know what? If something goes south, I will buy the damn books just to bring it to a conclusion, and I will pay the darn lost time/shipping you are out of pocket, and if it doesn't go south and the books come back as expected, I will still buy them, in case you can't sell them. I am not a collector, but learn a lot from this forum, and if it comes to pass, I will donate the damn things to Dr. X, for use in his annual thingamajig, and I will do it just to spite this middle man.

If the package is not correct as to contents, etc. I would not hesitate to notify the USPS Fraud unit. 

As to outing the fellow, that is up to the community. I don't care either way, because it is not like he/she remains anonymous. The middle man left so many clues and so many people already know, and the tracking number itself reveals a lot and it would be public access information, that this middle man is a dingbat. Now imaging his/her employer getting this thread. Jesus. risking all this for $675? Dumazz.

Let me know if you want the #, and where to send.

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

A few things. Not sure why you assume I have been giving out the name by PM. Just because the box has been sent it doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been tampered with - I doubt it but after all I have been through I want to be sure. Once Randall safely has the books things will become clearer. The boardie hasn’t made a post in over 10 days - I am monitoring him to make sure everyone else is safe. Lastly, as I have stated, is that once the books are safely returned to Randall, whether I agree or not, he has successfully completed the transaction and from what I understand wouldn’t be PL worthy, because that is for getting incomplete transactions completed and not about punishment or calling people out for bad behaviour. It has been suggested to me that I canvas discussions by posting in the Probation Discussion thread and put a link to this thread there with a recap of this thread and let everyone weigh in on whether it is a PL issue or not.   Rules are in place for a reason and just because it seems he didn’t follow them or that his actions have been shady, it doesn’t mean that it’s OK for me to do the same. Yes it stinks.

I inferred you had based on reading the thread, which I did after the fact, not in real time.  It appeared as people were asking for the name and you replying, 'pm me' that you were answering in private. My apologies for misunderstanding, I may have read it differently had I not been catching up.  I completely understand waiting until a resolution, I would just consider it resolved once the box is in the air.  That is, if it's full of newspapers, you have a conclusion.  if it has the comics in it, you have a conclusion.

@skypinkblu is absolutely correct, we can wait.  Also correct both that the PL may apply as you haven't recovered shipping, and that it is community-policy.  I think that the purpose of it is to give both parties a chance to put forth their side of a deal gone south and to let the community know that a) that has happened, and b) decide for themselves if the instance merits dealing or not dealing with a party.  It's a venue for those who feel wronged and those who do not feel they have wronged anyone, to present their cases and to seek resolution.  It's not just a check box of parameters IMO.

In any case, I hope that the solution you have found works out in your favor as best it can.  It really sucks that it happened, and it made more expensive and complicated by shipping from Canada to here.  Good luck

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You're a good guy..... with a level head. I don't know the other two people involved, but I'm still not convinced that the middle man boardie didn't enter into this with the best of intentions and found himself, well, caught in the middle. He probably thought he was doing two people a favor and then he's suddenly a gutter level con man. I've been on here a long time and I've seen many instances where people are pretty quick to assume the worst about people they don't even know. I commend you for withholding your judgement until the facts are all in, and your willingness to accept your role in this situation. If more were like you, the world would be a much smoother ride. Sounds to me like the vilified boardie may just be a younger collector who hasn't had to learn his ethics the hard way yet.... who's to say that he hasn't learned a valuable lesson about a mistake that will never be repeated. I am, however,  pretty sure that middle man's friend may not be much of a friend. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

When the guy says that he can't afford to pay because he needs the money for rent but then right after says that he'll take the books if Jeff knocks off $100 - well you tell me whether he has the "best intentions"...

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

The shipping fees have not been covered. Even though there was an agreement at this time, it's because the seller was coerced.

This is a really important point. This transaction has turned into a hostage situation, with Jordysnordy's books as the hostages. The "buyer" hasn't acted in good faith during any part of this transaction, and in the latter stages used the fact that the books were in their hands to twist arms. This is a person that the community should be aware of, whether this is ultimately a matter for the board PL or everyone's individual "do not deal" list.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If the names of these people aren't eventually made public, it would be a substantial disservice to these boards. Not because of the prurient factor, but because not doing so exposes others to this type of game playing from these people in the future.

Exactly.  I think the board is 'owed' this knowledge with all the time and energy this community spent contributing to this discussion.

Okay, so 20 or 30 people PM's the OP for this guy's name.  What about 6 months from now when this guy pulls the same hore on someone that didn't read this thread, or read the thread but didn't get find out his name because it wasn't posted here.